Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some insiders are telling that Fiat might build two new models in Mexico, there is a strong rumor about a small pick up and a small SUV.
They mightt come as rebadged Chrysler, Jeep, or even Ram. As we all know Chrysler.needs a smaller pick up to compete with Nissan and others in other countries like Latin America, Europe and Asia, same goes for a smaller SUV.
Toluca is known for building vehicles with high quality, so maybe this could be one of the reasons for choosing Toluca to build those vehicles, if they will ever have the green light.
No final decision has been made if the Next Journey will be build in Toluca, so far, the plant is working very hard, dealers are still placing a lot of orders for Journeys and the Fiat 500

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Bring on the Strada Adventure im game baby! Just give it the 1.4T ot even better the Tigershark 2.4. Whats the small SUV 500X or Jeep B?

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I really like the 500X, look much better than the 500L.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
TripleT said:
I really like the 500X, look much better than the 500L.
The "leaked" pics of the 500X do show an attractive little crossover

·
Registered
917 Posts
I wonder if Fait has a small all wheel drive van , ( old VW Van Type ) for us campers? I thank they will sell very well if built right.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You do know that the FIAT 500 is pulling out of Toluca in 2015, and going back to Poland?

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
BigDaddySRT said:
You do know that the FIAT 500 is pulling out of Toluca in 2015, and going back to Poland?
Rumors are that 500 is returning to Europe. With sales of about 3,000 per month and apparently stalled at that level and with the gov. mandated build obligations met, it's more profitable to put all 500 production in one plant.
Journey is rumored to be moving to the US, so Toluca needs a product.

·
Registered
384 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Rumors are that 500 is returning to Europe. With sales of about 3,000 per month and apparently stalled at that level and with the gov. mandated build obligations met, it's more profitable to put all 500 production in one plant.
I am still on the fence with regards to buying an ABARTH.... with the FIAT 500 pulling out of Toluca.

I get a really bad feeling.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
IIRC there was a rumor on hear from some time last year about a new small truck to be built somewhere in Mexico I cant find that old thread but I remember it.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
BigDaddySRT said:
I am still on the fence with regards to buying an ABARTH.... with the FIAT 500 pulling out of Toluca.

It only makes sense to regroup all 500 production together from a logistics viewpoint. Something new will be coming from Toluca...

·
Registered
822 Posts
BigDaddySRT said:

You shouldn't! The Tichy plant as an excellent quality record. They have been building 500s for a lot longer than Toluca (Toluca has built approx. 80K Fiat 500 cars, Tichy approx 900,000 Fiat 500s!)...

·
Registered
18 Posts
tryphon said:
You shouldn't! The Tichy plant as an excellent quality record. They have been building 500s for a lot longer than Toluca (Toluca has built approx. 80K Fiat 500 cars, Tichy approx 900,000 Fiat 500s!)...
This is one of the reasons I'm not to distressed about having to wait for the next generation Abarth. Everything I've read about that plant and what it puts out is very positive.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MoparNorm said:
Chrysler is having more profits by building the

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Mr.Source said:
And just for your info. Toluca can't build enough 500 and Journeys to meet the demand, so please don't say that production is stalled.
Just for the record, sales are different than production, so please don't misquote me. Toluca can easily keep up with production, because sales have stalled at approx. 3,000 units for the last few months, in the US. I haven't bothered to look up sales to Canada and Mexico.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Toluca produced 5054 Fiat 500s in February of 2013.

Fiat 500 US Sales - last 6 calendar months:
09/12: 4176
10/12: 3720
11/12: 3603
12/12: 3707
01/13: 2503
02/13: 3302
AVERAGE: 3501

350 Fiat 500s were sold in Mexico in February of 2013.

I was unable to locate sales figures for other markets in the short time I had.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
CarsandGuitars said:
There were government mandated build obligations on the 500? When did that ever happen?
An integral part of Fiat's ability to buy a larger percentage of Chrysler, was predicated upon Chrysler building a small car and building a car that achieved 40 mpg.
That happened at the beginning, its in the agreement. Its easily researched. The 500 was that car.
Now it has been supplanted by the Dart.
That obligation has been met, the 500 is VIN'd as a Chrysler for that precise purpose, that purpose has been fulfilled, now 500 can go back home and be imported to the US for the few who wish to buy one.

Reactions: Bill Sample

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dan Minick said:
It only makes sense to regroup all 500 production together from a logistics viewpoint. Something new will be coming from Toluca...

Toluca is an strategic site for FIAT, because they can export to Brazil without taxes.
Brazil is FIAT's biggest market today (almost 1 million cars a year, and growing).

As well as the next Journey (branded in Brazil both as Dodge as Fiat Freemont) a Dakota replacement could be a good bet.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
MoparNorm said:
An integral part of Fiat's ability to buy a larger percentage of Chrysler, was predicated upon Chrysler building a small car and building a car that achieved 40 mpg.
That happened at the beginning, its in the agreement. Its easily researched. The 500 was that car.
Now it has been supplanted by the Dart.
That obligation has been met, the 500 is VIN'd as a Chrysler for that precise purpose, that purpose has been fulfilled, now 500 can go back home and be imported to the US for the few who wish to buy one.
Not exactly correct. The first gaol achieved was to build a small fuel efficient engine the Dart was actually the 40 mpg car

1 - 20 of 33 Posts