Allpar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now then Opel is in under the same umbrella at Chrysler, Fiat and Peugeot, I guess it might not be a problem to post it here. ^_^;

I spotted that news via a post on GMInsidenews.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Now then Opel is in under the same umbrella at Chrysler, Fiat and Peugeot, I guess it might not be a problem to post it here. ^_^;

I spotted that news via a post on GMInsidenews.
From this angle it kind of has a mini-Challenger vibe.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Speaking of Opel, the new Mokka looks pretty good, much better than the previous one (which we get in the US as the Buick Encore).

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
For the US I would prefer seeing a FWD GT on EMP1/CMP with a 1.5T, like a Tigra for today but with GT styling cues. Other than that anything Opel should be a Dodge in the US.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Tha Manta who actually was pretty common in sweden in the 70íes was someting that worked like a mini Camaro or Challenger. If i remember correctly it was based on the Ascona.
  • cramped rear seat.
  • sleek looks.
  • a little but quite peepy motor.
Opel was a "mini" us car from the late fifties to the end of 70íes designwise and has never really find home after that, it didnt help that they rusted so fast that there were no resale value on them.
80,90,2000 ish was a sore period with anonymous square boxes that didnt had the quality of the time and they have never regained from that despite improving quality and looks.
The Opel- Dodge idea and i will throw in Chrysler isnt that bad, Opel has also sold small pickups wich would make them a more appropriate candidate for small Rams.( wich are sorely needed if stella whants to sell pickups outside NA.
- the more i think of it i like the idea..
Opel has also had the same base thinking as i se from C and D, make great value cars that arent premium but looks a bit premium and feels a bit premium. High on reliability but perhaps not so high in overall quality. Our french and italian siblings hasent ever been really anything of anything except low in price except Citroen who has been know for great suspension and a lot of strange solutions and styling.
- Oh by the way, Jeep and Ram should take a look at the Citroen Hydrolastic suspension and get rid of the expensive to upkeep air suspension.It could also be the thing that differients Chrysler from Dodge beside styling.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Tha Manta who actually was pretty common in sweden in the 70íes was someting that worked like a mini Camaro or Challenger. If i remember correctly it was based on the Ascona.
  • cramped rear seat.
  • sleek looks.
  • a little but quite peepy motor.
Opel was a "mini" us car from the late fifties to the end of 70íes designwise and has never really find home after that, it didnt help that they rusted so fast that there were no resale value on them.
80,90,2000 ish was a sore period with anonymous square boxes that didnt had the quality of the time and they have never regained from that despite improving quality and looks.
The Opel- Dodge idea and i will throw in Chrysler isnt that bad, Opel has also sold small pickups wich would make them a more appropriate candidate for small Rams.( wich are sorely needed if stella whants to sell pickups outside NA.
- the more i think of it i like the idea..
Opel has also had the same base thinking as i se from C and D, make great value cars that arent premium but looks a bit premium and feels a bit premium. High on reliability but perhaps not so high in overall quality. Our french and italian siblings hasent ever been really anything of anything except low in price except Citroen who has been know for great suspension and a lot of strange solutions and styling.
- Oh by the way, Jeep and Ram should take a look at the Citroen Hydrolastic suspension and get rid of the expensive to upkeep air suspension.It could also be the thing that differients Chrysler from Dodge beside styling.
The "Opel" pickup was and Izusu and sold in the US as a Chevy Luv.

Hydropneumatic is dead, Hydrolastic was BMC, which is also dead. Everything FWD is going to be on EMP1/CMP (STLA small) and EMP2 (STLA medium), so suspension tuning will be done with similar components.

Chrysler was also known for soft riding cars, it fits in with the big Citroen heritage which means DS these days.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Stella Small and Medium aren’t CMP and EMP2 but new platforms with new Stellantis requirements. Like Giorgio and STLA Large.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
The Manta debut will be May 19.

·
Banned
170 Posts
The "Opel" pickup was and Izusu and sold in the US as a Chevy Luv.

Hydropneumatic is dead, Hydrolastic was BMC, which is also dead. Everything FWD is going to be on EMP1/CMP (STLA small) and EMP2 (STLA medium), so suspension tuning will be done with similar components.

Chrysler was also known for soft riding cars, it fits in with the big Citroen heritage which means DS these days.
No reason except perhaps cost why Hydropneumatic couldn't be revived for premium models. Assuming the suspension spheres were changed / recharged every 60k miles or thereabouts it was robust and reliable even at high mileage.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
No reason except perhaps cost why Hydropneumatic couldn't be revived for premium models. Assuming the suspension spheres were changed / recharged every 60k miles or thereabouts it was robust and reliable even at high mileage.
Hydropneumatic died due to expense and the fact it stole HP from the engine. Modern shock absorbers also last longer than the old ones. Struts going 100K + miles is no longer rare. 60K mile replacement. Hydropneumatic is dead and it isn't coming back.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Which kind of looks like a 1st generation Camaro.

People need to realize this is just an old car they put a new grill on and an electric motor in. This isn't a serious proposal for a new sale car.
Actually, the Manta is going to be revealed on May 19

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Banned
170 Posts
Hydropneumatic died due to expense and the fact it stole HP from the engine. Modern shock absorbers also last longer than the old ones. Struts going 100K + miles is no longer rare. 60K mile replacement. Hydropneumatic is dead and it isn't coming back.
Agreed, shocks last longer. Hydropneumatic used approx 2-3bhp depending on how many accessories it needed to power - hydraulic box DS probably being the most power intensive. I would never rule out its return as the system by and large is way more reliable than any air setup and less delicate. Compared to air the cost isn't significantly greater in my opinion and could be justified on a premium model.....and it rides way better than any steel based set up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts