Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got one in September. 2003 Touring Edition. LOVE it. It's great for everything I need it for. My only problem with it is the cost of fixing it. Got it in Sept. In October the alternator died. $500. November it needed a tune-up and carbon flush. $500. I get that it's a 10 year old car, but WOW to fix the thing is expensive.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
And you think anything else is less expensive? Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of us here that can literally walk you through anything step by step to fix just about anything. I can understand having to change the air filter, spark plugs and wires, but a carbon flush? That is muffler bearing stuff. Alternators are fun to get to from the bottom, but again the labor is what is killing you. Alternator isn't that difficult. If you can handle a floor jack and jack stand placement, a couple hours of time and the enjoyment of seeing some pretty good engineering compared to the competition, could have saved quite a bit of money. Heck, the charge to have a shop to replace the timing belt can be as little as $300 labor and about $140 in parts (water pump and idler pulley recommended during the replacement every 100,000 miles). Next time you have a problem, feel free to start a new thread and we will help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. There's a few of use in this little town who have PT's and we all LOVE to talk about our cars. You know anything about a rumor I heard about the cars? They were pulled from the market because they didn't break down as much as other cars? Another owner told me that.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Well, I do know they were reliable and their breakdown record was pretty clean. History tells a little bit of a different story, DBAG originally was told the PT was a halo car to get others into the dealerships to buy something else, but turned out to be one of the best sellers in decades. There was one recall on the PTs, a power steering hose that was in a position that it came loose and needed moved about one inch. The engines are overall very durable, and I haven't seen one with door hinges that have sagged, things like that, so they are a very durable little car. I liked what the aftermarket had for them right off the bat, more than any other car I can think of in the past three decades. More mods have been done to the PT than any other car in quite a few years, intend to do a few conversions to a few of them in the future, but as you can see below, I have a couple other projects first.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome Gotta,

I had much more than a good checkle reading the rumor that these cars were "pulled from the market because the don't break down" and my wife even came over to read your comment when I wouldn't stop laughing.

It appears to me that if you bought this car and didn't get a bagful of maintenance receipts and parts warranties that your soon to be into some real serious maintenance discussions here on the Forum. I don't want to ridicule, but since you bought off on a "carbon flush" your smart to get opionions here.

Altho I'm handy with tools and not a professional wrench, I bought (the Mrs) a 01 w 144k knowing that my repairs bills would be less that new car payment in the course of a year. It does turn out so for me, not having to buy labor just parts.

Just to give you an idea of your possible PT maintenance forecast here's my work on the PT in the last 3 years and 50K more miles :

Repairs to PT 2001 Cruiser
Rack and Pinion (used)-was supplied by seller to consummate us buying the car.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Replaced drs side MacPherson strut-complete w spring.
Replaced connector at radiator fan.
4 tires replaced.
Added new wheel cover/hubcap (melted by PO)
*Replaced R Frt rotor during 1st caliper pad replacement @ 150K miles
Replaced starter and solenoid.
Replaced battery.
Replaced childlike aftermarket taillights with OEM units.
Replaced radiator. (side crack/separation)
Replaced Body Computer thru Dealer.(ouch!!)
*Replaced battery lead wires, both.
Replaced alternator.
Replaced battery.
Replaced frt caliper pads at 170,000. (rt frt has excessive wear)
Replaced 4 tires.
Replace LCA ball joints and bushings 170K (shop pressing req’d)
Repair pass side shaft boot, inner
Replace o2 sensor at exhaust manifold. (used NLT parts)
Obtained 4 defective upstream O2 sensor units from China.
Replace front rt motor mount.
Replace o2 sensor at exhaust manifold. (used NLT parts)
Replaced frt rt motor mount with new.
Installed window wind deflectors. (mrs loves em??)
Rec’d P-0135 Code again-Sensor1 Bank 1 front sensor. used Bosch Premium this time-(Chinese parts)
Rec’d P-0135 Code again-Sensor1 Bank 1 front sensor. (used Denso this time-Chinese parts)
Painted faded bumpers-both
Replaced pass side half-shaft (bearing??)

My point here Gotta is that I if had to pay BIG MONEY LABOR every time for these FREQUENT repairs this car would be like my neighbors, parked in their rear yard for 2 years. And trust me Gotta the car shops down here in South Florida really really specialize in "carbon flushes" if you get my drift.

So pull over and had some "reality discussions" with your tiny towns other PT owners. Ya'll need to pull together and network some honest reliable mechanics and cheap parts sourcing.

Good luck and good hunting,

Mr2Tim
SC ToyZ RacZing
South Florida

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
The repair costs on the PT are a premium due to the lack of space under the hood. It's not an easy car to work on.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
And my repairs to my two 02 PT Cruisers was three batteries between the two cars, one timing belt, one manual clutch slave cylinder, one seeping thermostat housing (could have refinished and gotten another five years out of it), four sets of tires, two sets of brake pads and two rotors, two rear tail light bulbs, one diagnostics and factory cam sensor (had replaced one with aftermarket when I thought that was the problem when I had a timing belt break). This is a cumulative 11 years for two, 180K miles on the two cars. Tires, batteries, brakes, all wear and replace items, every car goes through them, my bushings and struts are originals, road conditions has a lot to do with their wear, especially since not all cars wear out at the same rate of speed. All things considered, I personally think the PT has a better track record of repairs compared to the competition, more repairs needed in inclement weather areas, just like any other vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts