Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of fuel economy are new Ram truck owners getting? I bought a 2019 Ram limited this year , I replaced my 2011, I was excited to think my new truck with the eight speed would get significantly better economy than my 2011 with a five speed...I was wrong, now I realize it's still breaking in with only 5500 kms on it, but being the old school guy I am I set my mileage counter to MPG not Kms, I prefer this better, the BEST I have got so far is 15 mpg and that's a long distance all hwy trip, in town I get 10.5 mpg this is according to the on board mileage calculator, admittedly I am not a light foot but like wise I'm not a lead foot, I would have expected about 15 in town and around 20 on the hwy, can anyone tell me what there getting? BTW I just had my first oil change and told the dealer, they scanned it and came up with nothing they suggested keeping a log, which I am doing now. Also this is the 5.7 no etourqe though.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have a 2019 Ram 3.6 Etorgue and i routinely average 22 MPG. Sometimes more and sometimes less. And this is combined city and highway driving. I miss the sound of the V8 but the V6 with Etorgue is peppy and quick when I need it to be. It tows well too as I have the towing package. My MPG did slowly improve as the engine broke in. I now have 33k miles on the truck and have owned it for over 2 years with no problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
(19 Tradesman 4x4 Hemi Quad Cab 18 inch wheels). Was averaging under 11L/100KM with stock Bridgestone Duelers. Switched to Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs and lost 1L/100KM. Recently, I removed my front spoiler including the fancy electronic retractable one and installed a front hitch for my plow. Haven't noticed a significant difference in fuel econ. A coworker has a very similar truck and averages 1L/100KM worse than me. (I use 89 octane and he uses 87.) Best mileage I ever got from a Hemi Ram was with my 2014. 400KM roadtrip, 30°C summer day, rural highway (cruise set at 90KM/H), riding on nearly bald Wrangler SRAs. Averaged 8.3L/100KM and 8.4L/100KM on return trip.

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
What kind of fuel economy are new Ram truck owners getting? I bought a 2019 Ram limited this year , I replaced my 2011, I was excited to think my new truck with the eight speed would get significantly better economy than my 2011 with a five speed...I was wrong, now I realize it's still breaking in with only 5500 kms on it, but being the old school guy I am I set my mileage counter to MPG not Kms, I prefer this better, the BEST I have got so far is 15 mpg and that's a long distance all hwy trip, in town I get 10.5 mpg this is according to the on board mileage calculator, admittedly I am not a light foot but like wise I'm not a lead foot, I would have expected about 15 in town and around 20 on the hwy, can anyone tell me what there getting? BTW I just had my first oil change and told the dealer, they scanned it and came up with nothing they suggested keeping a log, which I am doing now. Also this is the 5.7 no etourqe though.
This is one of the reasons that I still hang onto my 1992 Dakota V-6. I get 20 mpg highway and 16 around town. Newer trucks get nearly the same gas mileage, 30 years later, but have LESS bed space, are bulkier and bigger, more difficult to park, and cost upwards of $40K new.
Hoping that the rumored new Dakota is real, and that it has a true 6.5 ft or bigger bed, wide enough for plywood, but smaller than the new Rams overall. And cheaper.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,804 Posts
Agree with mopar22.

The Lie-O-Meter on my '06 Ram 1500 QC SB w/Hemi typically displayed 1.5 mpg optimistic compared to my hand calculated spreadsheet. On the other hand the fuel mileage display on my '00 T&C Ltd 3.8L was usually with in 0.1 mpg of my manual calculations.

That said you may find calculated figures show better fuel mileage. Be sure to factor the mileage over several full tanks to get more accurate measurements.

FWIW - the best my '06 Ram 1500 ever did was 21.02 mpg on a 600 mile trip - no load in the bed, AC not running and cruising at 65-70 mph. Otherwise it averaged about 17.5 mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently purchased(October 2019) a 2020 RAM Rebel with e-torque 5.7 L and 392 gears, and I am disappointed with the mileage, as I am getting around 15-15.5 mpg combined driving town and freeway driving. I have never got 17 mpg (combined) as the sticker claims. I have nearly 4,000 miles at this point. I ope it gets better!

·
Administrator
35,552 Posts
This is one of the reasons that I still hang onto my 1992 Dakota V-6. I get 20 mpg highway and 16 around town. Newer trucks get nearly the same gas mileage, 30 years later, but have LESS bed space, are bulkier and bigger, more difficult to park, and cost upwards of $40K new.
Hoping that the rumored new Dakota is real, and that it has a true 6.5 ft or bigger bed, wide enough for plywood, but smaller than the new Rams overall. And cheaper.
They can tow your house, though.

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
They can tow your house, though.
Well, Dave, I haven't needed that. :)
But, my brother owned it from new and towed 5500 lbs of trailer and 22' sailboat over 3,000 miles (yes, that's way over its rating). I towed 3,400 lbs of car and dolly 220 miles. Both efforts, the truck had no trouble whatsoever doing it, and at 241K miles, the original drivetrain runs virtually like new. I got 14 mpg towing the car behind me, and did not have to shut off O/D to have enough power.

Reactions: djsamuel

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
When calculating mileage, don’t forget you need to use the same gas station and pump to get the same fill rate. Need to also have the same amount of click-offs each time.

I ran FE tests at Highland Park Engineering in the 80s.

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
When calculating mileage, don’t forget you need to use the same gas station and pump to get the same fill rate. Need to also have the same amount of click-offs each time.

I ran FE tests at Highland Park Engineering in the 80s.
Yes, although enough tankfuls from various places will average out that error, unless some are grossly off.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I have a 2017 1500 3.6L w/8 speed crew cab and normally get 22-23mpg. Fully loaded and dolly towing from CA to TX and ranged from 16 to 17mpg on the trip. It would have been ONLY about 30 minutes faster trip with a HEMI. A few of the hills slowed me down some but it towed faster and better than my 2008 with a 4.7L V-8 and used a lot less fuel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some of these just will not get better with 3.92 ratios. I see nearly all dealers going that way for power delivery on 20 in rims. If possible I get the standard ratio to help with highway savings. Keep that RPM and weight low and the speed reasonable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
2014 Ram Quad Express, 8spd, 3.92, 4wd, 102,000 mi. I average about 19 mpg in winter, 20 in summer. I live in the country and do little town driving. Best ever, 24 mpg, to the beach with a tailwind. Worst ever 18 mpg at 70-75 mph with a headwind. I hand calculate. Gauge is about 7% off to high side (last time I looked it said 22mpg). I run mid grade most all the time and don't really drive hard.

While it has 3.92 gears, it only turns a little less than 2000 rpm at 70mph due to the 20 inch wheels. I get as much gear as I can. I hate vehicles that don't have enough gear, I like throttle response even in high gear. My Ram seldom downshifts on the highway, even on steep hills and I like that also. I'm not saying that is better, it just the way I like it.

·
Administrator
35,552 Posts
When i used to calculate mileage by the tank, regardless of the clickoff and same pump thing, it would vary quite a bit, just randomly, I strongly suspect because the gas pumps aren't that consistent (even the same pump at different times). It does need a few tanks to get a good number. I have not found the computer to be inaccurate, but I have never owned a Ram pickup, only a Promaster now, and I haven't tried checking mileage yet. It's pretty awful with the built in computer unless I compare it against an old V8 B-van’s single-digit-mileage with half the horsepower.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've had my Ram 2500 6.4(4.10's, 34"tires) for 8 years now.. best I've ever got in this truck is 14L/100Kms(in the USA on I-95) and worst is 39L/100Kms at -50 in snow ridden rough roads 4x4 low hoping we were going to make it home:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Loaded stock '19 Longhorn 1500 with the 3.6, I've averaged about 17mpg with a light foot over about 25k miles on rolling hills with about a 65/35 split of highway and city driving.

The best mileage I've gotten was on a roadtrip from VA to NY with about 800 lbs of passengers and cargo, it was right at 20.0 mpg with the adaptive cruise set at speed limit + 5.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
What tires are you running?

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
What tires are you running?
Ya tires make a big differance as so does tire pressure .. when I got 14L/100K was with Toyo extremes 285/75R17's at 55psi with 2000lbs of gear and passengers, I'll never get that now because
a: moved up to 35's (Toyo RT's)
b: lost the air damms off the front bumper
c: at 35psi due to winter conditions
d: drive a hemi that sounds good doesn't help with fuel mileage... 😁

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Are there pics of the new truck or did I miss that?

Reactions: page2171
1 - 20 of 23 Posts