Allpar Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
2014 Ram 1500 (5.7L Hemi / 8sp auto / 3.21 rear) and stock P275/60R20 tires (fluctuate between Firestone Destination LE2 and Bridgestone Alenza, depending on which is cheaper at the time) and if my driving is skewed more toward highway I touch 20 MPG.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok, well thanks for all the great responses sorry to take so long to get back on the forum, I got very busy lately, anyway just so we are comparing apples to apples , my truck is a 2019 limited, 5.7 mds 8 speed with 285/45 r22 tires good year, the stock ones, there was one reply above with a similar optioned powertrain and getting about 15 mpg combined, I just did a road trip long distance and that's what I got, I am now manually logging the fuel but dont expect it to improve much from the e calculator, I will re-visit this with the dealer after I have finished logging but honestly I guess that's what I can expect, that being said I didnt buy this truck for fuel economy, if I couldn't afford the fuel I would have bought a 4 fly, I am VERY happy with this amazing truck, the interior is one of the finest I have seen on many of the most luxurious vehicles on the market, i just wanted to see if what I was getting was accurate with what others are getting.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Ok, well thanks for all the great responses sorry to take so long to get back on the forum, I got very busy lately, anyway just so we are comparing apples to apples , my truck is a 2019 limited, 5.7 mds 8 speed with 285/45 r22 tires good year, the stock ones, there was one reply above with a similar optioned powertrain and getting about 15 mpg combined, I just did a road trip long distance and that's what I got, I am now manually logging the fuel but dont expect it to improve much from the e calculator, I will re-visit this with the dealer after I have finished logging but honestly I guess that's what I can expect, that being said I didnt buy this truck for fuel economy, if I couldn't afford the fuel I would have bought a 4 fly, I am VERY happy with this amazing truck, the interior is one of the finest I have seen on many of the most luxurious vehicles on the market, i just wanted to see if what I was getting was accurate with what others are getting.
I did sorta the same thing as you but with HD trucks .. I was comparing my gas HD to diesel of similar size and load capabilities. It wasn't a full study or anything but I got a lot of raised eyebrows when all those diesel operators heard my numbers as compared to there's.. So with that said I really like this 6.4 Hemi for more reasons then not.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I really dislike the Fuel economy in my 2020 RAM REBEL! Not anywhere near what RAM claims.
Have you taken in the consideration that it is so fun to drive that you will never make the fuel mileage claim... LOL I didn't buy my truck to drive it like a pussy foot F brand driver, the only time I look at fuel mileage is highway or if we're doing something the same as before to compare.

·
Registered
549 Posts
15 Ram 5.7 with the 8speed and 3:21 rear end.

Average 23-25 highway mpg during summer.

Regular oil changes at 5k plus Lucas Fuel Cleaner.

6 years old and not one loss of mpg. I track everything.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Didn't they put the wrong rear gear in a bunch of trucks? That could cause a discrepancy in the fuel economy from the Monroney sticker.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Super Moderator
37,490 Posts
Didn't they put the wrong rear gear in a bunch of trucks? That could cause a discrepancy in the fuel economy from the Monroney sticker.
As I understand it, they don't rate the MPGs on the window sticker by the rear axle ratio (though that would make sense).
Instead they estimate how many will be sold with each gear ratio then come up with some weighted average based on that.
Especially with trucks, the EPA number becomes less meaningful because of the alternative gear ratios available and the different cab and bed configurations. Once average number covers all that. They only break it down by engine/transmission/2wd or 4wd. All those other factors just blend into mush of an estimated average.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks
21 - 29 of 29 Posts