Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the state inspection coming up next month and the tires basically worn out (down to 3/32 tread), I had no choice but to shop for tires. I checked with several online sites (TireRack.com had the best overall pricing including shipping), but in the end Firestone had a deal I could not pass up.

Firestone had their Affinity Touring (70K mile warranty) on sale - buy 3, get 1 free or buy 1 get 50% of the 2nd one. This was for P225-65-R17's. Normal price is $150 per tire for this size. Final price was $550.46 which included tire tax, wheel balance, TPMS kit, and I declined Road Hazard (have coverage through my auto club).

Unfortunately, when I showed up at 8 am, the shop found the tires weren't in stock even though the "computer" indicated otherwise. (I had made the appt last week while getting tires for my son's car). Turns out the factory is putting the wrong "barcode" sticker on the tires. The stickers that were on the tires ordered for my vehicle were actually 710's (sticker had Affinity Touring on it). The shop ended up finding Affinity Touring tires from a Firestone in northern VA. The service writer knocked another $20 off the total price to accomodate me for my troubles. I ended up going home (35 miles) and came back after they contacted me to let me know the proper tires were in. Arrived at 2 pm and the finally had me out of there by 4:45 pm.

All the vehicles in my "fleet" should be good to go on tires for a while. Installed Destination LE's on the Ram last year, installed new tires on my son's car last week and now the Journey has new rubber.

The original tires on the Journey were Kumho's and I cannot recommend them. Barely 42K miles and they were simply worn out. Dry/wet traction was okay and they were quiet, but to barely last 42K miles was unacceptable. I don't think they would have made it to 45K.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Great deal on the tires! I will be happy if my tires last 40k! I just replaced the tires in the Sebring, 18's and was about $580 out the door for all 4. The original Brigstones were shot at 25k! Pathetic! Though I have never had a new Chrysler product that had tires that I was blown alway with....

I am going to be crying when I replace the tires on my Journey, but I still have yet to get the rear brakes replaced, I so fed up with brakes on the car, I could care less if grinds down to metal! dang brakes!

·
Administrator
35,242 Posts
I have - Eagle RS-A on our 1995 Neon were superb, great handling, great snow and water traction, quiet, and yet, over 60,000 miles before the sidewalls cracked from being in the sun. Our 300M needs them every 40,000 miles or so. THe PT, 12,000 miles on the Eagle RS-A (but a different size).

Tire size matters... a great 15" tire can be rubbish in 18".

If you're having brake problems, contact Chrylser. Not the dealer, if they won't help, but the company, and see if there's something going on.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I may look into contacting Chrysler on the brake issues. The dealer told me there is nothing they can do for me, but seriously, on the third set on front and second set on rear at 22k miles? Crazy.

Ok I am done venting, after all this is a thread on tires. I am usually happy if I get 40k on a set of tires, I did have set last 70k on my 2002 Sebring.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As Dave said, bypass the dealer and call Chrysler directly and open have them open a case #.

40K on a set of tires is unacceptable unless they are cheap tires like the Primewells (available through Firestone) we had installed on my son's Mercury. Michelins are probably the best overall. I logged over 111K miles on the Michelins my Ram had when I bought it new. I was very impressed. But they are very pricey.

The Affinity Tourings have a 70K mile warranty and I believe the Destination LE's on my Ram are 70K (might be 60K - not sure). Hope to get at least 80K out of both sets.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,386 Posts
I have - Eagle RS-A on our 1995 Neon were superb, great handling, great snow and water traction, quiet, and yet, over 60,000 miles before the sidewalls cracked from being in the sun. Our 300M needs them every 40,000 miles or so. THe PT, 12,000 miles on the Eagle RS-A (but a different size).

Tire size matters... a great 15" tire can be rubbish in 18".

If you're having brake problems, contact Chrylser. Not the dealer, if they won't help, but the company, and see if there's something going on.
That's funny Dave - my 2001 Neon needed replacement tires by 50,000 KM's (I refused to go through another winter with them). I had no idea how awful the Eagle GA's were until I replaed them with a set of Goodyear Comfortreads. Sure, the car wasn't as sporty on dry pavement, but HOLY CRAP was the wet and snow traction/handling better! It was like driving a completely different car.

As for the Journey, popular opinion over on the Journey forum is that the stock Khumo tires are not only crappy, but impossible to replace in the 19" size because Khumo is the ONLY one who makes the right tire size.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Tire rack is showing a couple of m+s options now for 225-55-19. Ran into the same issue w/ 185/55r15 in 2000 with the Neon. I went with 14s then for snows.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I was pricing out new tires for the RAV4 which uses the same size as Doug's Journey. The Affinity's are not available here and instead they only carry Bridgestone's in that size. What is a little shocking to me is the additional $40+ tax for TPMS kit and labor. It looks like the bottom of the line Bridgestones Dueler H/T 470's are on sale (buy 3 get one free) and the out-the-door price will be about $570. Anyone know if these tires are any good?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John, I have no knowledge on that particular tire. Did you check for any reviews on TireRack?

As for the TPMS kit and labor the local Firestone shop charged me $15.96 for the kit ($3.99/tire) and $11.96 labor ($2.99/tire) when I had the Affinity's installed on the Journey. Fortunately my Ram does not have TPMS (not mandatory until 2007?). It was an option in 2006.

As to the AWD Journey - do they only come with 19's? I don't recall.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
John, I have no knowledge on that particular tire. Did you check for any reviews on TireRack?

As for the TPMS kit and labor the local Firestone shop charged me $15.96 for the kit ($3.99/tire) and $11.96 labor ($2.99/tire) when I had the Affinity's installed on the Journey. Fortunately my Ram does not have TPMS (not mandatory until 2007?). It was an option in 2006.

As to the AWD Journey - do they only come with 19's? I don't recall.
Doug,
Thanks for the advice. I just checked the Tire Rack reviews for the tire model I mentioned and the reviews came in poor. I'll continue searching for a better quality tire that won't break the bank. Too many choices..... :wacko:

·
Registered
266 Posts
There was a short time that Khumo had a backorder on the 225-55-19 tires.
Mopar came out with this service bulletin for an alternate size. This may open up a few more options.

22-002-11

SUBJECT:
Alternative 19 Inch Tires
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin specifies alternative 19” tires that should be used if the Khumo Solus KH16
P225/55R19 99T All Season (U.S. and Canada Markets Only) is not available.
MODELS:
2009 -2010 (JC) Journey
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles sold in U.S. and Canada (sales code YAA
and YAC) markets only.
DISCUSSION:
The following 19” tires can be used as aftermarket replacement tires for the 2009 and 2010
model year Dodge Journey in the event that the Khumo Solus KH16 P225/55R19 99T All
Season (U.S. and Canada Markets Only) are not available.
Approved Alternative Tires:
Qty. Part No. Description
4 (AR) NPN Hankook Optimo P235/55R19 101H, DOT
5MH4 PDFH H725 Standard Touring All
Season
4 (AR) NPN Michelin Pilot P235/55R19 101H, DOT HN8F
A31X HXMXM4 Grand Touring All Season
NOTE: It is recommended to use these tires only as sets of four.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Update: 16s are on!

Now here is a question. I was offered, and declined TPMS sensors, but I did not get any warning lights on the drive in to work (13 km city driving).

Does my Canadian spec 2010 r/t Awd have TPMS? Several tire shops list sensors for it, but that might be the USA model.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeff- you'll continue to get the TPMS light until the TPMS sensors are mounted in the tires (or however they are installed). It's not something that can be bypassed. Not sure about Canada, but TPMS is federally mandated. I don't recall what model year they were mandated here in the US. I know they were available in 2006 - I can see the outline of the light on the dash of my 2006 Ram, but it does not have the TPMS feature - was optional that year.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Not legally required in Canada. I decided I could live with the warning light when I decided against the sensors, but was surprised it took so long to come on... Had me wondering, that is all.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
They probably left the old sensors in. Check the air pressure and se if one tire is a few lbs off.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Oh I must have missed something

1 - 20 of 20 Posts