Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum but have been a frequent visitor to Allpar for quite a while. I love all things Mopar and I drive my wife nuts, as I love to share my enthusiasm for mother Mopar. I love the high performance Chrysler products of the 60's and many of the products from the 60's right up to many of the current cars. I grew up in the 70's and graduated High School in 86 and as much as I love the high performance cars, I also loved the luxury car offerings from Chrysler through out the years. When I was 20 in 1987, my dream car was a Chrysler New Yorker or Fifth Ave. (My friends thought I was crazy) I was also a police officer in the Air Force and we drove 86-88 Plymouth Reliants and 87-89 Dodge Diplomats at that time, both with police packages. I loved the Diplomats but dreamed that one day, I could afford a Fifth Ave as my personal car. My car at the time was a 1978 Dodge Monaco Brougham, but every time I rented a car on vacation, I rented from Thrifty and requested a 5th Ave. In 2014 I finally decided it was time to get that 5th Ave, after looking for a while I found one in CA that was in excellent condition, like new, with 35K on it and only two owners. I flew from Idaho to CA, bought her and drove back to Idaho. I have enjoyed the car, she's my baby. She only has 37K now and runs and looks like it just drove off the showroom, but the steering has become a little loose feeling with a dead zone when the wheel is centered. I am trying to decide how to fix this and thought maybe someone here would have some thoughts and wisdom to share. I have been tempted to buy a new steering box by "Firm Feel" as they sell the police spec box for M body squad cars that is supposed to tighten things up and give you more road feel. I am not 100% sure if this will fix my challenge, any thoughts, suggestions and wisdom you could share would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
39,067 Posts
You may be able to adjust the slop out of the current steering box, but a better steering box may be the better answer. This assumes that everything else is in good shape (tie rods, ball joints, etc.) even with the low miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts