Allpar Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,214 Posts
Yeah, pre-1967 440s had an issue with too small exhaust valves and resulted in heat issues, they enlarged them in 1968.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,162 Posts
Thats a beauty , had a 68 383 SuperBee, drank fuel like it was going out of style. Maybe someone here can help you get it to drink today's fuel. Fine boulevard cruiser will get attention no matter where you go. Also had a 68 383 2bbl Newport, with stock electronics from newer boneyard mopars had it getting 20 mpg.
Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Totally agree with the lack of options, especially manual steering. On the inside of the driver side fender, on the flat part just under the hood should be one or two rectangle build plates to check everything and verify what the car was equipped with originally.This is not all inclusive, but tons of info on it. And yep, 440 automatic should have an 8.75 rear end( limited slip for the model, in 3.23, 3.54, or 3.91 most likely, the last probably for more racing), but the manual brakes and manual steering is rather rare to see, and 3speed windshield wipers to boot. GTX was the businessman high end performance car, so she is special if the fender tag is accurate with the "standard" things like PS and PB not on the plate, along with the bench seat and column shifter.

There may also be a build sheet located between the spring and padding of the rear seat to really nail everything the car has, removing the rear seat is not that difficult.

In your engine picture, to the right of the radiator hose where the sparkplug wires are crossing, is a flat pad, right behind the timing cover surface, with numbers and letters stamped into that pad so the originality of the engine in the car itself can be checked (besides the ones on the side of the block). There are several sites that give details on the numbers and what they mean, but it is always fun to help someone out with these, get to see a rare beast such as this.
I found the plate. Maybe you can make sense of it. Lol.

·
Registered
8,505 Posts
That SHOULD be a steel crank engine. I had a 69 Polara with a 383 and it had a steel crank. Gave the car to a brother who was an alcoholic and he trashed it. A friend of ours ended up with the engine and to this day I have no idea what he ever did with it. That dude ended up with my Dads 331 hemi out of his 55 New Yorker too. I should say ex-friend nowadays.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts