Allpar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car in July from a lovely guy who took great care restoring all the usual bits of this car that go bad in time (new headliner, lights, clamps and hoses). It has just 23,000 miles on it, and I got a deal!

The original, two-tone paintjob is well-preserved. It needs new tires, so this spring I'm going to put wider whitewalls on it, giving it a classy look.

I had this car 16 years ago, until after I graduated high school, when someone wrecked it. I loved that car. Besides a pickup truck that got me through my 20s, this is the only car I have ever owned. It's been that long since I have been saving and hunting for the right one for me. Finally, I found this Fifth Avenue, not far from the city where it was built. It is a very different experience from my gray-on-gray ride in the early 2000s, but it is in a whole other class in terms of beauty and quality. This ride turns heads. People have offered to buy it from me for more than I gave. Also, somehow it gets 24 MPG on the highway.

There is very little for me to do in terms of getting this car to where I want it:

1. There is a slight rattle coming off the speedometer, which is inaccurate above 35 mph. (70 mph on the dash is more like 55-60 by GPS)
  2. Replacing the rear air shocks with Monroes, lowering the rear end back to factory specification
  3. New tires
  4. Windshield wipers/motor needs small amount of work
  5. New AC compressor needs charging
Very little work to be done! I am so happy with this ride. If I ever move out of the city, this will be my daily driver and new lifelong vehicle.

Advice are comments are more than welcome. I have been reading this forum for a while and I love what I have seen some of you accomplish.

·
Super Moderator
38,741 Posts
These are good cars with a lot of weak points.
1. Sooner or later you'll have carb problems and everyone will say "rip the Lean Burn out". In most cases, it really just needs a carb rebuild. Either learn how to do that or find a shop that understands carbs.
2. Be careful and don't beat on the car. It's gears for economy with a 2.2 rear axle ratio. There's a vey good chance it has the weak 7.25" rear end, some did get the much better 8.25" rear end.
3. Even with the low miles, consider replacing the timing chain. There's a fiber coated gear that wears and creates slop in the chain. Even with the low miles the coating is likely brittle and cracking.
4. Watch out for a rough torque converter lockup. If it happens, consider a fluid change or possibly disable the lockup.
5. Guard the center caps with carefully. The center caps sell for more than the wheels in general.

Enjoy the car, It's a nice one. None of the items above is a show stopper.

·
Super Moderator
38,741 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to sound discouraging with the post above. Part of keeping an old car on the road is knowing where the weak points are. I've seen far too many of these cars junked for things that could have been addressed and kept them on the road.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to sound discouraging with the post above. Part of keeping an old car on the road is knowing where the weak points are. I've seen far too many of these cars junked for things that could have been addressed and kept them on the road.
Some may see that as a challenge and the love and joy of owning an old car. :)

Reactions: valiant67
1 - 6 of 6 Posts