Allpar Forums banner

New to turbos, what should I expect?

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Michael Mann 
#1 ·
I've never even ridden in a turbocharged or supercharged car. I understand what's happening; I just don't have any feel for things I should or shouldn't do. I know the car has plumbing from the oil pump, or at least from the area at the base of the filter, so assume this either lubricates the turbo, or cools it, or both.

Since the mileage is still fairly low, I'd like to go to Mobil 1. Is there any reason not to do this with a turbo?

There is some oil in the floor of the airbox. Is that normal, or is trouble close at hand? If normal, does the turbo cause/allow some oil use/loss? There is a small foam filter on one side of the airbox. Do I replace it, clean it, or let it alone? What is it?

Does the turbo require increased oil change frequency?

I have read the owner's manual, and the only related info I could find is cool-down times when the car has been driven aggressively.

I appreciate any information offered. I'm new at this - it is definitely not my daddy's Fury.

Michael

See less See more
#2 ·
The turbo should not have or cause oil leaks. They have dedicated oil lines to and from, and also coolant lines to and from. The filter in the airbox is a breather filter for the PCV intake, and should be changed periodically.

Mobil 1 synthetic is a great oil, no problem using it. Chrysler engineers have found that in cold weather, it flowed to the camshaft faster than any other oil.

Turbos are fun, enjoy.

Reactions: djsamuel
#3 ·
Turbos in these are way too much fun :thumbsup: . I would definately go with a synthetic oil (I prefer Mobil 1) because
of the heat that would linger in the turbo bearings after the motor has shut down. Synthetics can withstand this
much better. Also don't go much over the recommeded oil change interval (7,500, I think).

Hope this helps,

Gerry G.

#4 ·
It's recommended by Chrysler to let the car idle for a minute to cool the turbo before shutting down, after having used it. Pumping the coolant through it at idle will get a lot of that heat out.

#5 ·
I have a 2005 GT Turbo bought new. I have always used Mobil 1 and change the oil at about 10K intervals. The car is driven almost always on the highway for trips of at least a half hour or more. The oil is still relatively clean at the 10K change and the car doesn't use any oil. It has just over 100K miles now and never a moments problem with the engine or auto trans.
Normal maintainence has been performed since new. Water pump and timing belt replaced at about 80K.
The car is a lot of fun and has plenty of power.

#6 ·
Thanks for the additional information. I'm also convinced that Mobil 1 is the way to go, and this car had relatively low mileage, so I switched it. I don't have any experience with the turbo, and want to avoid expensive mistakes. From ya'll have told me, good normal maintenance and a little extra cooldown are all that's needed. I can do that.

A friend with a Pontiac Solstice tells me I won't have any trouble knowing when the turbo kicks in. I don't think I've called on it yet. My wife will neither confirm nor deny.

I am still amazed at the build quality, and enjoy driving the car, even gently.

Michael

#9 ·
2003 Dream Cruiser II series. My PT just developed a loud turbo whine suddenly. No smoke or oil leaks ,just the loud whine developed. I expect the Turbo will have to be replaced.
I have found new or rebuilt ones ranging from $800.00 to over $1500.00 Labor about six hundred, what to do?
I have already put a LOT of money in this car.
109000 miles, engine runs good noil oil consumption.
Is it worth putting another $1500 to $2000 in it?

#10 ·
These impellers spool up pretty fast. I would inspect and wash the intake impeller with solvent. Any imbalance can cause vibration. Make sure that the air ducts are secure.
Sometimes the oil feed line can coke up from high temperature where it attaches to the turbo.
I wouldn't replace the turbo until you have actual failure symptoms like smoke or seizure.

#11 ·
A friend with a Pontiac Solstice tells me I won't have any trouble knowing when the turbo kicks in. I don't think I've called on it yet. My wife will neither confirm nor deny.
I have a 2007 Limited Turbo. I have had over 20 cars..this is my second with a Turbo. Last one was a 84 Capri RS Turbo with the port injected 2.3. The biggest difference is how quiet the 2.4 in the PT is. The Capri's wastegate whistled and moaned like crazy. In the PTs one cant hear the turbo at all. One of the PTs I drove when looking for mine had the after market blow off valve and it sounded like crap. The PT kind of reminds me of several of the cars I have had with 4V carbs. With moderate pressure on the throttle the car moves smartly but at about halfway down and more the engine just takes off. The only time I feel much turbo lag is pounding it from a standing start and as soon as it hits 2700 or so you need to hang on to the wheel as boost builds. Kind of like waiting for a Q-Jets secondaries to open on in a GM car (Q-Jets have tiny primaries and huge secondaries) I dont mind it at all but it was not what I was expecting.

#12 ·
One should expect a small amount of turbo lag when leaving from a stop. There is a Chrysler TSB #18-007-07 for PCM software changes that address driveability, shift quality and charging system issues. It can improve the acceleration/shift feel. The dealer can download it. It may be covered under the extended 8/80 federal emissions warranty. Have them write up the repair order for one of the symptoms addressed in the TSB.

http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/108710-2006-pt-cruiser-charging-system/

#13 ·
Bodyguard,

The "new" still hasn't worn off, but I have not felt the "secondaries open," at least not like a Qjet or Thermoquad. My wife will neither confirm nor deny.

Imperial,

Thanks for the TSB info. I'll check with my local dealer, who, unfortunately, is one of the worst I've ever encountered. I'm in Mississippi, and usually order any parts from Galeana Van **** Dodge in Michigan. That's how bad the local dealer is. But I will check.

Off topic - do you drive a 66 Imperial? I have a 67 Crown Coupe, but it's a long term project.

Again, thanks.

Michael

#14 ·
I did drive it up until 2010, but sold it and it went to a good home. Too many other projects were getting neglected.
It was in nice shape, everything worked and I had to have the real wood, leather and chrome.
I did locate (in Chicago) and converse with the original owner and those letters stayed with the car. She was in her 90's and was thrilled to hear that the car was still going. It was their 20th wedding anniversary present to each other when purchased new.
What a quiet, strong brute of a motorcar. I have the '62 Lark Daytona to fix this summer.
They are all long-term projects!

registry_gallery-1666-1245968552_thumb.jpg

image_url-51514-1281193867_thumb.jpg

#15 ·
That was a beautiful 66 Coupe! I had a 68 Crown with similar history, but had to let it go when Navy moved me from West of Seattle to Norfolk, VA. Once I had a taste of what a car could be, even with Unibody, it was hard to shake.

My 67 was in a junk yard, minus motor, BUT with the Mobile Director option intact. Only the lamp is missing. The yard didn't know what it was - just a 440 donor car.

Good luck with the Stude.

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.