Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure the admin and Moderators discussed it in detail, but why was the Motorsports Section moved out of News and into "others"???
It's hard enough to get followers over there without hiding our race coverage.
Just curious, I know the job is daunting sometimes, so first off, thanks for all you do.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
My guess, and it's just a guess, is that it's the least-bad fit.

'Fleets' is another example of attempting to make the best-fit, given that Fleets can cover new and old, cars, trucks, vans, Jeeps, etc.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TWX said:
My guess, and it's just a guess, is that it's the least-bad fit.

'Fleets' is another example of attempting to make the best-fit, given that Fleets can cover new and old, cars, trucks, vans, Jeeps, etc.
?Fleets is hardly on a par with Motorsports?
It was fine where it was, after all, it is News...and Rumors.
It doesn't help that the News Feed often undercuts existing racing news threads that are already underway.
Just because Dodge is out of NASCAR doesn't make racing any less relevant. We still have SRT supporting Viper in ALMS, Dodge in Global Rally Cross and Mopar in NHRA.
I hope the move wasn't a reaction to pressure from An outside source.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
For me and I'm sure many other members there is never a 'competition' for the forum I want to look at. I simply go to that forum and that's it. If those who are browsing the forums want to find a topic they look at the name of the catetory in the long list. I never consider a 'section' when looking for a particular forum. Sure it makes sense to have things sectioned off where they would fit but to do that 'properly' would mean a section for each category in come cases.

I see no problem at all with MotorSports being moved to 'Other'. Perhaps some topics may find their way to 'Other' at some point in the future if they keep getting out of hand. But of course, this is only my opinion.

·
Administrator
35,248 Posts
The move was not due to an outside source. I'm moving Motorsports back.

Largely, it was due to the fact that I could not find what I was looking for half the time.

Section headers are bigger, bolder, and centered, as part of that.

The issue of cross-posting Motorsports stuff has been brought to Bill. Essentially he has to uncheck the Chrysler category when he posts racing news.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DaveAdmin said:
The move was not due to an outside source. I'm moving Motorsports back.

Largely, it was due to the fact that I could not find what I was looking for half the time.

Section headers are bigger, bolder, and centered, as part of that.

The issue of cross-posting Motorsports stuff has been brought to Bill. Essentially he has to uncheck the Chrysler category when he posts racing news.
Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Am thinking about bringing back the "categories of cars" category... might be handy for:

1) Trucks
2) Minivans (Journey, PT would go into "Cars")
3) Fleets
4) Adopted

Wish there was a way to customize category display.
Any further thoughts on this? The PT section seems to have slowed down since it was moved to the cars from the past section. Perhaps vehicles that are still in widespread use, even though they are out of production could be in the "Cars" section you mention. I find myself not checking the PT section as often since it was moved.

Just a thought. Thanks.

·
Administrator
35,248 Posts
It's back in crossovers.

1995... an interesting line. No line is really "good." I would argue front vs rear wheel drive would work for the informed. I mean, really, Chrysler has its eras:

1) Prime time — creation to 1948.
2) Body-on-frame maintenance — 1949-1959.
3) Unit-body decline — 1960-64.
4) Muscle era — 1965-74.
5) Brush with death — 1975-80.
6) Rebirth #1 — 1981-1992
7) Rebirth #2 — 1993-1999
8) Daimler Hell — 2000-2007
9) Rebirth #3 — 2008-2013
10) Fiat integration — 2014+

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Thanks Dave!

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Well, if you want to get to where ALL products are Post-Iacocca-paradigm, I think that year is 1998.

By that point the regular cars were all Cab-Forward, the trucks were all big-rig inspired, the minvan's design cues seemed to heavily follow the Cloud cars, the TJ had replaced YJ, the Cherokee had been refreshed, and we had the Viper. That was also the year that the full-size van got its snout pulled forward for aerodynamics as compared to the less-pointy '94-'97, and crashworthiness and finally got a new interior for at least the driver and front passenger. Certainly the bulk of the van's design dates back to its development during the Johnson Administration, but it somehow managed to adapt to each major era without being outright-replaced.

Then, I think that the next true, nearly complete change is 2007.

The LX has replaced LH. Cloud cars as they were are gone, replaced with JS platform. Neon is gone, Caliber has replaced it. Minivans are on RT platform. '94-'02 Ram has long since been replaced. B-series van is gone, European Sprinter has sort of taken its place. Pacifica is dead-man-walking, Cherokee has been gone for long enough that Liberty is coming up for its redesign, Wrangler has gotten four doors, Dakota has been beat with an ugly stick, Nitro is ramping up, Durango/Aspen are in the mix. Only real holdout that made it much past this is the PT, which survives despite DBAG rather than because of it.

Car companies don't change all models at the same time, that's not practical. But, one can generally look and figure out when the bulk of the cars are on a different paradigm. I'd argue that the Iacocca era was in full swing by 1984 when the only RWD cars left were the M-bodies as holdovers from the seventies and everything else was a K-car, for example.

EDIT: took longer than the five-minutes time difference from Dave's post to type this

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Bob ONeill said:
'95? Vintage '94 Spirit? Funny.

Vintage (IMHO) = '70s not '90s.
To be fair, Bob...I think you're a bit more "vintage" than me. :lol:

I'm not sure why it's 95 for me - just feels "right".

There's dozens of ways to categorize, and depending on who you ask, they're all wrong. ;)

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
I'm not sure why it's 95 for me - just feels "right".
Well, for me, it's the cutoff for when I started really paying attention to "new" cars versus existing cars that were just always there or were there in variations.

I was a young teen when the New Chrysler ad campaign started. I think that I noticed the truck first, though the Neon was at the same time. The Viper obviously caught my attention, and that TV show featuring it was on at the same time and I did watch it. I didn't think much of the Clouds or the LH cars at the time, though once old enough I got to drive a Neon that belonged to an orchestra teacher (long story short, she was conducting the younger kids, her husband was a quadrapalegic, an errand was needed pronto, and I was the only one of driving age, so I did it with her car) and it was a fun little car, very zippy.

Would anyone mind if I move this into Chrysler Chat? We've long since left the realm of feedback and the discussion is proving interesting...

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
I'd like to think that when 'computers' were added to cars would be 'new' cars and prior to that they would be vintage. That would put 'vintage' around the early to mid '80s when fuel injection started to be introduced into the 'K' and other cars.

·
Administrator
35,248 Posts
Right, though if you use carbs, it ends up being the 80s for Chrysler. I think that's probably fair because while the Reliant was a modern design in some ways, it was one of the most throw-back modern designs ;) They blended the ancient Mopar RWD tech with the modern Simca/Horizon FWD tech and came up with the best of the small cars of the day. Even the 2.2 engine owes a lot of its heritage of the slant six -- though I know they were not related except in who created and developed them.

The first really clean break was the LH series which, you may have noticed, used carryover powertrains! (Except the 3.5).

There are no completely clean break years, and there are precious few completely clean breaks in tech. The Neon was almost completely new in every way EXCEPT the three-speed automatic, the LH was completely new in every way EXCEPT the 3.3 engine ... and so on.

It all depends what you call modern, I know some who consider the K cars to be vintage and others who consider them to be modern, and some who think anything with 12V is modern... if you're talking to a guy who collects brass era cars or Model Ts, ANY Chrysler ever made is modern! High compression engines, self-starters, hydraulic brakes, ... the list goes on ...

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Yeah, let's head over to Chrysler Chat... *grin*

1 - 20 of 33 Posts