Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should jeep look at changing the length and width of the new coming wranglers , for instance adding to the length of the two door or 4 door wrangler, do you need or want a fold down windshield. Do you want a gasoline, diesel , CNG, or electric/gas engine options ?

These new designs should be for the jeep truck ,mini and the thee current wranglers, and should be on your dealers lot by the summer of 2016.
Have your say.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Add a diesel.
Leave the rest of it alone.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
tomtex said:
I think the Jk 2 door could use a little more storage space?
Yes, it's called the JKU. ;)

Seriously, folks complain that Wrangler is growing too large, but then ask for more room and easier access to the rear seats and more storage, then are shocked when they give us that and the vehicle gets bigger.

Step One: Decide what and how you are going to use the vehicle for and buy accordingly.
There will be some compromises.
My compromise is buying the hard top this time around. I love the look and convertibility of the soft top, however rear access through the zippers is a pain. The tailgate bar is in the way of most items and getting in and out of it for 17 consecutive days on my road trip was tedious.
I love the ease of entry now, but I miss the ability to fold the top down... = compromise.

Reactions: Jeepnut

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Norm the 4 door,JKU out sells the 2 door JK by 2/3, If Jeep added a little more length to the 2 door JK, and offered it more as utility jeep. Its demand and sells should increases around the world.

·
Super Moderator
21,361 Posts
The '97-'06 TJ is about the right design and size for me. Sturdy and simple.
I see the JK Wrangler parked next to a WK2 Grand Cherokee in the showroom and it dwarfs the GC!
I don't need the extra bulk when I'm squeezing between the trees or with it sitting in the driveway.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
tomtex said:
Norm the 4 door,JKU out sells the 2 door JK by 2/3, If Jeep added a little more length to the 2 door JK, and offered it more as utility jeep. Its demand and sells should increases around the world.
You have no way of knowing that.
Read ImperialCrown's post. It is just as likely that JK sales could completely dry up, since they majority of those buyers want a smaller sized Jeep.
Again, those who want bigger buy the JKU, those who want smaller buy the JK.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Judging by the low sales of these and the Mopar J8 kit, it's likely better they didn't do this.
However the option is there in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
681 Posts
A third body style would add complexity to the plant added to the extra floor space needed for inventory would drive up the cost of all models, only to steal sales from the JK and the JKU.

Changes in wheelbase are the most complex changes that a plant can have, all new chassis carriers, body carriers and body shop equiptment modification. Not to mention new frames, shafts, lines, harnesses, bodies, hard tops, soft tops etc. Plus the costs to develop and certify the all new model.

A strong business case has to be provided showing who the customer will be and where the sales will be taken from to give a relatively short return on investment before a new model will be considered.

Personally, I think a third body style, all else being equal, would dilute the Wrangler, however a new unique body style on an existing chassis might be fun assuming it meets all the requirements and it doesn't steal plant capacity from the existing models.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
JTE said:
A third body style would add complexity to the plant added to the extra floor space needed for inventory would drive up the cost of all models, only to steal sales from the JK and the JKU.

Changes in wheelbase are the most complex changes that a plant can have, all new chassis carriers, body carriers and body shop equiptment modification. Not to mention new frames, shafts, lines, harnesses, bodies, hard tops, soft tops etc. Plus the costs to develop and certify the all new model.

A strong business case has to be provided showing who the customer will be and where the sales will be taken from to give a relatively short return on investment before a new model will be considered.

Personally, I think a third body style, all else being equal, would dilute the Wrangler, however a new unique body style on an existing chassis might be fun assuming it meets all the requirements and it doesn't steal plant capacity from the existing models.
Thank you.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JTE said:

I think they will not offer a third body style, just the new 2dr that is lengthen and current JKU.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
tomtex said:
I think they will not offer a third body style, just the new 2dr that is lengthen and current JKU.
Based upon what? JTE was involved with Jeep Truck Engineering for many years, hence the "JTE" in his name.
His reasoning is sound and the economics stated, has not changed.
So don't get your hopes up, there are no indications that the JK will be growing.

·
Super Moderator
21,361 Posts
While not a Wrangler, the Grand Wagoneer will be a stretched wheelbase over the present Grand Cherokee. The 7-passenger platform is based on the Durango if you are looking for 'longer'.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MoparNorm said:
Judging by the low sales of these and the Mopar J8 kit, it's likely better they didn't do this.
However the option is there in the aftermarket.
Who would pay $8,000.oo to add 10" to their 2dr wrangler's length?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
tomtex said:
Who would pay $8,000.oo to add 10" to their 2dr wrangler's length?
Who would pay to buy a bigger Wrangler JK?
It's why the JKU exists.
Until you can prove a business case for it, it won't happen.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MoparNorm said:
Who would pay to buy a bigger Wrangler JK?
It's why the JKU exists.
Until you can prove a business case for it, it won't happen., will add to to customer its value .

·
Super Moderator
36,922 Posts
I guess I don't see what a lengthened 2 door Wranger would offer that the Unlimited does not.
The short length and decent turning radius make the 2 dr Wranger a great in town vehicle. That's why I bought mine.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
valiant67 said:
I guess I don't see what a lengthened 2 door Wranger would offer that the Unlimited does not.
The short length and decent turning radius make the 2 dr Wranger a great in town vehicle. That's why I bought mine.
Exactly. There are a few, like Tomtex,,who could use the extra room, Mopar makes a kit for that, if you don't want four doors but want the length and space of the JKU.
As noted by JTE, there hasn't been a business case made for a third size.
Frankly, I wouldn't want a longer JK without the two extra doors, it's simply too far to reach and too hard to access without them. Especially when lifted.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I said there has to be a case, not that there was no case.

I was surprised when the Ram, in 2009 went from three cabs and two boxes to four cabs and four, then five boxes, with an exponential frame expansion.

All of this work was happening right as the S was hitting the F in the economy, so I am not the best judge of what Chrysler should put in its product plan, but I do know the work involved.

Back on topic a two door wrangler can definitely haul stuff:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts