Allpar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there something in the dimmer switch that could make the digital dashes really dim?

The dimmer switch works fine to adjust the radio/heater ect.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
If the regular incandescent lighting works OK to full brightness with the dimmer control, it may be the EIC (electronic instrument cluster) onboard power supply module with bad solder joints or a failing module.
It is a DC-DC converter that steps the 12 volts up to ~26 volts for the VFD (vacuum florescent display) tubes.
Probing with a voltmeter and looking/smelling for burnt areas may help you diagnose this. The modules had different appearances over the years, but look for a device with +/- and +/- on it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just picked this unit up from e bay. i didn't think it worked so i tried again after the sun went down and it did work so i left it in to try today. It is working but when I started you can just barely (I mean barely) see the cluster then after some time it got brighter then faded again. I then turned on the parking lights and turned the dimmer all the way to the 'daytime" position and i could see the cluster better (not real brightly though) and it stayed brighter after i turned off the headlights and the rest of the way to work.

Kinda sounds like it matches your power supply thought. ??? is that on the front or rear board? I've also caught a slight wiff or 2 of a burn electronic smell. I did look and the board in this one does look better (not fried) like the boards (rear board) in the other 2 units.

debating on weather to send this one back. They've been hard to find and i'm still hesitating on sending one in for $250 for a rebuild.

THanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it ended up being dead, cluster faded out and then started to smell and a bit of smoke so I sent it back since it didn't work right from the begining.

Another question for IC.

I'm using a 93 cluster so i have fuel, temp oil and mileage (the speedo doesn't show speed, blinking asterix) . Recently the oil and fuel gages have gone dim, in the right light you can read them and they work but can't see them most of the time. Is this controled by the bulbs in the back?

THanks.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Blinking asterisk and no speedo indicates problems with the CCD bus. Most likely due to incompatibility... the 92 and 93 AY body digital dash doesn't play nice with the 1991 computers.

The dim display segments would be due to burned out bulbs back behind them - those clusters are LCD based.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,

I was hoping it was just the bulbs.

The 92/93 cluster weights 1/2 the 90/91.

I guess I need to send my cluster off to have it rebuilt. Not good enough with electronics to try it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Imperial Crown.
I think a while back you said you've done some conversions of different digital dashes.

Where did you pull the wires from to feed the new speedometer?

I'm thinking of converting over to an analog cluster from digital in the 91 NYer and have the manuals but was wondering if you tapped into the digital harness or ran new wires from the BCM. I know I"ll need to run the speedo wires and the fuel i believe. Is it best to tap them going into the BCM or somewhere else on the car?

Thanks.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
You can get most of that stuff from the BCM, but all the wiring for that stuff comes back to the main connector under the driver's side of the dash too. Just get yourself a good set of wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you say "from the BCM" are you talking about the the harness that goes into the cluster or wires going into the BCM?

Couldn't remember if it was you or Imperical Crown that had done some conversions... maybe both ??

Thanks!

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
The BCM is behind the right side kick panel. A lot of the wires you need to tap into terminate there, but they're also in the main harness connector under the dash that connects to the underhood harness.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey OK wolf.

Yes, I'm still tinkering with it. I just got an analog cluster from a 90 that a fellow was getting ready to scrap. (may go and grab the grill out of it too).

I popped the kick panel out and it doesn't look like there is much room to work with those harnesses there.

I have the wiring diagrams for the clusters (digital and analog) and the BCM harnesses for each from the chrysler service books.

You mentioned the main harness goes under the dash. Where is this and how hard is it to get to? What heading in the service book should i look for that harness?

Thanks for the help

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
It runs in a metal channel behind the glove box all the way to the steering column area where it goes into the engine bay.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok Thanks.

Here's a new problem, maybe dumb situation...

When i was looking behind the kick pannel and wiggled the wires a bit to see how much play there was and if i could access them to tap into them the BCM started to make a clicking noise kinda like the turn signal. wiggled wires a bit more & it stopped.

Now my wipers will not run in intermittent mode. I can hear the timer clicking over to the right (BCM??) but the wipers will only run in low/high settings on the switch and won't self park.

Thanks again.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Sounds like the connector pins may be a bit dirty or corroded. Had that happen with my first 1988 New Yorker. Disconnect the battery, shoot some electrical contact cleaner into the connectors, and cycle them a few times. Wait about 20 minutes before reconnecting the battery to make sure the cleaner is dry.

The intermittent wiper control is part of the BCM - that's likely the relay you heard clicking.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
another question for OK wolf.

do the wires in the harness you mention that goes from BCM to the steering column area stay the same. In otherwords, will the wires shown in the book (1991 wireing book) for AY's be the same?

Haven't pulled the panel from under the steering column yet to see the wires/connector yet. Hope to in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey OK wolf.

Yes, I'm still tinkering with it. I just got an analog cluster from a 90 that a fellow was getting ready to scrap. (may go and grab the grill out of it too).

I popped the kick panel out and it doesn't look like there is much room to work with those harnesses there.

I have the wiring diagrams for the clusters (digital and analog) and the BCM harnesses for each from the chrysler service books.

You mentioned the main harness goes under the dash. Where is this and how hard is it to get to? What heading in the service book should i look for that harness?

Thanks for the help
I know this is an older post but I'm trying to find out if you where successful in getting the analog dash to work. My Digital one went out and cant find a repair or replacement. Do you have the memory of whee the wires led to. I dont have the wiring schematic. Any help here would be great. Thanks Jim

My email is [email protected].

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
What are you working on Jim L? Maybe you'll get some help if you tell us what year and model vehicle you have.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts