Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here's the conundrum?

I have a 1992 Dodge Dakota LE 4x4 extended cab with the v6 magnum, it runs and drives but is uglier than sin.
(also its a insurance total loss as it was victim of vandals, all the windows were smashed)

I also have a 1995 Dakota SLT extended cab 4x4 with the 318 magnum eng, but the transmission is shot.
(I horse traded some wheels and tires for it) it really is nice, and very worthy of fixing)

I looked around for a tranny for the 95 and didn't have much luck, I could get one sent in but it would cost $600+
and that wouldn't gurantee getting a decent tranny, or should i say 1 that wouldn't need to be gone through at the tranny shop,
which would spiral the bill up to $1500+.

I was thinking, (could i pull the v6 mag and tranny out of the 92 LE 4x4 and put it in the 95 slt 4x4) and have a daily driver?
as the 92 speedo is cable drivin, and i read that in 94 dakota;s speedo became electronic, it appears the switch would not
work as i then I wouldn;t have a speedo, and after getting another speeding ticket this summer that is not an option.

I also have a 93 dakota LE extended cab 4x4 with 318 magnum, which is my daily driver, i have it on propane and it is getting tired, it has 300k on it and it is starting to lose oil pressure, it does not smoke or burn oil, or use oil yet, but if I did this swap, I could save the 318 magnum out of the 95, for further issues. (JUST IN CASE)

I know this sounds @#$-backwards, but with gas $5 a gal, and winter approaching, and needing a another dedicated 4x4 for my snow blade, i have to act FFFAASSTT!

Oh yea, I am finacially challenged, so spending gobs of cash is out of the question.

This swap would end up with lots of extras, transfer case, axles, etc for further problems down the road.

any suggestions or ideas? what issues would i face if i start this project?
thanks in advance.
Brue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Bob we don't have any emmisions whatsoever, about the only thing you can't do around here is jack it up 4 ft in the air.
around this province there are NO tests whatsoever other than the usual safe test, brake drums/rotors etc. no cracks in windshield, holes in muffler/floor boards etc.
in fact this province is so lax, on testing, vehicles that wouldn't have a chance in Heck passing, can easily be registered .
I think it has to due with, low population and virtually no pollution;
so NO that wouldn't be any problem whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
You may need to find a 1995 V6 computer to make this work. The V8 computer won't work with the V6 and and the 1992 may not be compatibile electronics wise with the 1995 turck (or it could be, guess you won't know till you try).
It could be a bit of a dog because the V6 truck probably has lower gears than the V8 truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Idea, thanks never thought about that, I definetly will be checking the wreckers tommorrow and crossing my fingers, in hopes! I was thinking on using the computer out of the 92 if I had no choice, but was kinda hopin it would just be okay, we don't have any emmisions here and the only thing that will get it banned from the road is when its too rusty or unsafe.

I don't really want to swap out the 318, but if this is my last option, oh well, just get-er done! It sure seems like it wouldn't be a problem, but i bet 1000's of people have said that only to scream in agony when things went sideways.

EH!!! thanks again for the idea about finding the 95 v6 computer in case I due it and things go sideways, better to be prepared, just in case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Again Bob, Thanks a MILLION! I sure hope the wrecker has what I need, I doubt it would have gone smoothly without your input.
I guess that leaves me with a whole bunch to think about!!! Decisions,,,,Decisions,,,,Decisions.

As I need to at least put one of these together for my plow truck, and being that the 95 is a 318 and the body is a lot nicer, It would be the obvious choice.

I still have a month before the weather will start to get really stuffty, and this yr Mama gets the garage, I hogged it all lasy yr, and she was very nice to me, only whineing a little once in while, (thank god for command start) OH YA!! well last yr we didn't get much snow, even though they forecasted the coldest snowest yr on record which turned into a complete dismal mistake, It really only snowed 5 or 6 times, and didn't even dump much, but it sure was nice to have the plow anyway, I'm pretty injured up, so shoveling isn't an option any more. (especially when the grader blocks the drive-way and I push the curb snow into a park) shoveling that grader pack is all but impossible, dang never should have moved here from Florida.

Well much appreciated, if I can return to favour let me know, I find most of my rebuilders at SGI SALVAGE, bidding closes every wed at 7;30 AM,
Sincerely Brue

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm at work and haven't got all my stuff handy.. But I think putting the transmission from the '92 V6 into the '95 V8 truck would the cheapest and easiest. Pull the speedometer sensor from the '95 transmission and swap it over to the '92.. 92-95 are not major variations in electronics.. But '96 is.. I've been mixing and matching the 95 and earlier trucks for several years..

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I would think that easiest is to get new glass for the 92. Technically, it's the lowest risk and simplest. And that was a great year for Dakota, no major issues.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Swap the 92 V6, transmission and rear end into the 95 body. You will also have to swap the wiring harness, but that is pretty easy, did it myself last year to change a 4cylinder 5spd to a 3.9 5spd, swapped everything and it works great. Total cost: zero (labor not included).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decisions, Decisions,Decisions...Well Mama had the day off, so ended up just doing all her needs, but tommorrow is another story, so will get back and tell you what I found, Thanks again for all the advice, it really is nice to have someone else who has been there-done that experience.
Keep On Keepin On!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts