Allpar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading blogs and forums on the next Chrysler minivan name. Some say Chrysler T&C other say Dodge Grand Caravan. Why not just call the next Chrysler Voyager. This will keep the minivan heritage (Plymouth Voyager) since the T&C was not released in 1984.

Just a thought.

Anyone agree ?

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
How about simply keep it the current name and they can actually say and mean it when they say. "All new"?

·
Super Moderator
36,921 Posts
Panrob01 said:
I keep reading blogs and forums on the next Chrysler minivan name. Some say Chrysler T&C other say Dodge Grand Caravan. Why not just call the next Chrysler Voyager. This will keep the minivan heritage (Plymouth Voyager) since the T&C was not released in 1984.

Just a thought.

Anyone agree ?
Because the name Voyager has been absent from the US market for about 10 years. Many people would not remember it, and many of those who would recall it would remember it was (especially toward the end) the low-rent, bargain basement van.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
But...should the "T&C as a crossover experiment" be less than successful, bringing out a new Chrysler Voyager would be a way to get back in the minivan game for the Chrysler brand - without killing the "new" T&C.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I agree with Dana44, keep both T&C and Grand Caravan as minivan and maybe have Voyager as the crossover.. This way you don't lose the name the people are used to and also allow you to introduce the crossover wanted.. If the crossover idea sold well, then maybe you can then get rid of one of the minivans..

·
Super Moderator
21,360 Posts
The export minivan 'was' called the Saratoga. Canadian Voyagers were called Voyageurs.
When I first started seeing Town & Country's without wood trim, I thought that was just so wrong, but have since recovered.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I've never seen a Plymouth Voyageur.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
I thought the export minivan was the "Chrysler Voyager" - now the "Lancia (Grand) Voyager."

That said..."Saratoga" does strike me as not a bad name for a minivan or people-mover.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
But...should the "T&C as a crossover experiment" be less than successful, bringing out a new Chrysler Voyager would be a way to get back in the minivan game for the Chrysler brand - without killing the "new" T&C.
I'd say name the Chrysler crossover the "Chrysler Voyager". Keep the T&C and Grand Caravan where they are as minivan's. Why loose the cache of the T&C? If the crossover then fails or doesn't do so well, the T&C name doesn't get tarnished.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
What is wrong with keeping both minivans, and naming the crossover Pacifica? I wouldn't be against calling it the Voyager either, but then again I'm biased.

·
Registered
698 Posts
No Minivan was called Saratoga, the AA Bodies (Spirit, Acclaim etc.) are called Chrysler Saratoga in Europe.

Since 1988, the Minivan is called "Chrysler Voyager" in Europe. Til´ last year, nothing changed. Now there´s a Lancia Badge on it, bad thing, i know.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
codypet said:
What is wrong with keeping both minivans [snip]
Because in Marchionne's mind, it's needless duplication - there's very little that actually sets Grand Caravan apart from a Town & Country.

·
Super Moderator
21,360 Posts
Kevin1990 said:
No Minivan was called Saratoga, the AA Bodies (Spirit, Acclaim etc.) are called Chrysler Saratoga in Europe.

Since 1988, the Minivan is called "Chrysler Voyager" in Europe. Til´ last year, nothing changed. Now there´s a Lancia Badge on it, bad thing, i know.
I stand corrected. Thank You.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Doug D said:
I'd say name the Chrysler crossover the "Chrysler Voyager". Keep the T&C and Grand Caravan where they are as minivan's. Why loose the cache of the T&C? If the crossover then fails or doesn't do so well, the T&C name doesn't get tarnished.
Let's see. We have one minivan disappear and get reintroduced as something else, or gets built as a different design and still has the same name, but different from the Dodge minivan, or we have a different Chrysler minivan and a different name and people don't know what to do because they have to wait a couple years to make sure it is a good minivan. No, advertise it as an all new Chrysler Town and Country and if people don't like it, they can go to the Dodge since it is the basically same minivan, but at least they are looking at the new minivan whatever it looks like. Basically, the new T&C is the new Chrysler minvan, call it a crossover and it will scare current owners or prospective upgraders instead of looking at it as a new design. Pacifica is proof of this, what with the delays and those which would have loved a new shorter minivan, they delayed getting one because they heard "so and so" had something on the drawing board to compete with it. Had Lee Iacocca done this with the minivan, where does one think it would have been today? How many would have waited for the Toyota, Ford, Chevy, or Honda to come out with something before purchasing the best selling minivan in the world? Same thing happened with the PT Cruiser. From drawing board to selling, less than six months, nobody had anything to compete with it instantly and they, the competition, was behind the ball getting something to market, thus the PT Cruiser had a corner on the market and a success. Don't lose out on something like changing a name just to change a name, make it the next generation, no matter what happens. Can't harm a name if it is good, and it sells, and if you drop the name one will never know what the reason for a lack of sales was the reason.I say keep the name and have the next generation, full steam ahead.

·
Registered
163 Posts
They should start making the shorter minivan again. I had a used 1999 Plymouth Voyager, and replaced it with a used 2007 Chrysler Town and Country. We chose the 07, not newer, because 07 was the last year the shorter van was built.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts