Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ford is in the process of developing a redesign for its Mustang, one that will see the car move to a modular platform now that the Blue Oval is shrinking its platform count to just five.

Automotive News (subscription required) reported Monday that the redesigned Mustang, the seventh generation of a nameplate that has spawned more than 10 million sales to date, is expected to arrive in 2021.

Ford in early 2017 confirmed that a Mustang Hybrid will be launched in 2020, though it isn't clear whether the automaker will base the gasoline-electric car on the current Mustang or the redesigned one. Given the expectation of the redesigned Mustang in 2021, it's likely we'll see the Mustang Hybrid form part of the current sixth-generation lineup.

What's sure to irk some fans is Ford's decision to move the redesigned Mustang onto a modular platform, likely the rear-wheel-drive (with available all-wheel drive) unibody platform debuting in next-generation versions of the Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator.

Speaking with Automotive News, Mustang chief designer Darrell Behmer said fans have nothing to worry about.

“Mustang is still going to be a strong, well proportioned vehicle,” he said. “The modular architectures will still give us flexibility; it's not going to bastardize Mustang.”

It's a theme backed up by the car's chief engineer, Carl Widmann, who told Automotive News that moving from the current car's dedicated platform to a modular design for the new Mustang won't fundamentally change the car.

“The general layout of RWD has morphed over time, but it's still the general architecture that it has been," he said. "In the architecture world of a RWD—which you're going to end up with a RWD architecture—I think these pieces of it are pieces that will always work. As you tune it and put a top hat on it, you can get different combinations and can define a lot of the emotion."

Both the Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger already feature modular platforms.

A bonus is that the move will allow Ford to offer an all-wheel-drive option on the Mustang, something that should appeal to northern buyers looking for a car that can be used throughout the year. Currently only the Challenger offers the option.

Next Ford Mustang said to be coming in 2021, and with available AWD (at https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1118467_next-ford-mustang-said-to-be-coming-in-2021-and-with-available-awd )

·
Jeepaholic
5,646 Posts
I hope they ditch the fusion-esque snout on it. There is nothing in the current nose that says Mustang to me. The rest of the car looks pretty good, but it looks like two separate vehicles with that nose. Some design elements should always be present on an iconic vehicle like Mustang...it doesn’t have to be the same exact styling, just maintain certain elements. Like Jeep...seven slot grill, trapezoidal wheel openings, etc.

AWD would be a nice bonus. I wish I had it in mine. I wouldn’t try to tackle a foot of snow in it, but it wouldn’t matter if we got a couple inches while I was at work. I wouldn’t have to drive my Liberty because of the threat of snow.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I hope they ditch the fusion-esque snout on it. There is nothing in the current nose that says Mustang to me. The rest of the car looks pretty good, but it looks like two separate vehicles with that nose. Some design elements should always be present on an iconic vehicle like Mustang...it doesn’t have to be the same exact styling, just maintain certain elements. Like Jeep...seven slot grill, trapezoidal wheel openings, etc.

AWD would be a nice bonus. I wish I had it in mine. I wouldn’t try to tackle a foot of snow in it, but it wouldn’t matter if we got a couple inches while I was at work. I wouldn’t have to drive my Liberty because of the threat of snow.[/QUO
Perhaps they will replace it with an explorer-esque nose? Would it be ok for all of us sick of hearing about “old Mercedes platform” get to call it a tarted up explorer?

·
Jeepaholic
5,646 Posts
Ooooooof...we'll see what the Explorer looks like before I make a comment on that. Lol. But since it will apparently share a platform with the new Explorer, I have no doubt people will be making similar comments.

Reactions: sickboy

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I hope they ditch the fusion-esque snout on it. There is nothing in the current nose that says Mustang to me.
I hope they don't. The current generation isn't selling as well, and that's partly because Ford wanted a more corporate frontend on it. Let it stay bland, then the Challenger will blow it away with its next generation design.

As for AWD on the Mustang, I wonder if it's going to sell as well as the AWD Challenger (well) or the SHO Taurus (poorly).

·
Jeepaholic
5,646 Posts
I hope they don't. The current generation isn't selling as well, and that's partly because Ford wanted a more corporate frontend on it. Let it stay bland, then the Challenger will blow it away with its next generation design.

As for AWD on the Mustang, I wonder if it's going to sell as well as the AWD Challenger (well) or the SHO Taurus (poorly).
I don't think Challenger has anything to worry about from Mustang, and vice versa. I want them all to stay healthy, including Camaro, because that will ensure that they all stick around. I don't want them to disappear like before...well, Mustang was still around, but you get the idea.

Taurus never caught on like the original did. It wasn't necessarily a bad car, it just didn't capture the attention of the buying public. And I think that was also an early sign of the declining sedan market. It is what it is, but I don't think anyone is really going to miss it. Mustang on the other hand, is an iconic vehicle with a dedicated following. They came out en mass when they were thinking of making it FWD years ago, and they saved it from extinction when Camaro disappeared (Challenger was long gone by then).

So I do want Mustang to stay relevant. Competition is definitely a good thing, it provides incentive to maintain or increase performance. And right now, the performance levels of these vehicles is absolutely insane. :D

·
Super Moderator
37,275 Posts
Funny everyone wants to make fun of Ford for platform sharing between Explorer and Mustang but we were told Giulia, Grand Cherokee and Charger/Challenger would share.

I guess it’s only bad when Ford does it.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
True, it's not platforms, but rather components that are shared, but the bizarre image, that Ford's own PR has put in people's minds, is that the company's premier sports car is now going to be developed from an SUV... that's just bad communications.

It's also not the same as when FCA said that it would use the designs of the Giulia, a highly regarded sports car, to develop the next Challenger and Charger, also sports cars.

In truth, the amount of sharing is likely to be higher between Escape and Mustang, but that's more about market positioning and pricing of both products than the technology. Giulia has some expensive components that couldn't be economically added to the much cheaper L-cars (but could still make their way into higher-spec, SRT versions).

·
Super Moderator
6,947 Posts
True, it's not platforms, but rather components that are shared, but the bizarre image, that Ford's own PR has put in people's minds, is that the company's premier sports car is now going to be developed from an SUV... that's just bad communications.

It's also not the same as when FCA said that it would use the designs of the Giulia, a highly regarded sports car, to develop the next Challenger and Charger, also sports cars.

In truth, the amount of sharing is likely to be higher between Escape and Mustang, but that's more about market positioning and pricing of both products than the technology. Giulia has some expensive components that couldn't be economically added to the much cheaper L-cars (but could still make their way into higher-spec, SRT versions).
Yes, exactly. The Grand Cherokee being built from a sports car implies that it will be gaining something: better handling and/or more rigid structure. And we know the Charger won't be built from the Grand Cherokee, but rather both will be built from the Giulia and Stelvio.

Saying Mustang and Explorer will share a platform makes one think that the Mustang will be making some strange compromises to share an architecture with something as mundane as an Explorer, when in reality you're right: just bad communication.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
If there are any compromises to be taken between shared parts/architecture/development between the Mustang and Explorer, I'd say it will to make the Explorer more car-like and not really diminish the Mustang in any way. There should be a world of difference between a Jeep and a car. Ford has no such standard or expectation to meet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts