Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 328 Posts

·
Defender of Reality
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It dawned on me with all of the discussion about the new Cherokee (please refrain from commenting here - there are plenty of other threads for that) that there has not been a lot of discussion about the next generation of the LX/LD platform in awhile. In particular, what is the timing of the next refresh and a true "re-design" of the vehicle? Has anyone seen any spy shots of prototypes running around? Will CDJ shrink the Charger? Will the 300 remain RWD? Will the styling be dramatically different than the current generation? Will additional engines be offered (ie - 6.2L supercharged HEMI, 3.0 diesel, etc)? I've read the information page, but I thought it was worth throwing out there again to see if any of the insiders had updated information that hadn't made it into Allpar yet due to the focus (and furor) surrounding the latest offering from Jeep.

·
Registered
993 Posts
HotCarNut said:
It dawned on me with all of the discussion about the new Cherokee (please refrain from commenting here - there are plenty of other threads for that) that there has not been a lot of discussion about the next generation of the LX/LD platform in awhile. In particular, what is the timing of the next refresh and a true "re-design" of the vehicle? Has anyone seen any spy shots of prototypes running around? Will CDJ shrink the Charger? Will the 300 remain RWD? Will the styling be dramatically different than the current generation? Will additional engines be offered (ie - 6.2L supercharged HEMI, 3.0 diesel, etc)? I've read the information page, but I thought it was worth throwing out there again to see if any of the insiders had updated information that hadn't made it into Allpar yet due to the focus (and furor) surrounding the latest offering from Jeep.
Let's hope that they don't refresh the 300 too soon considering I just bought my awesome 2013 300C with HEMI from CDJsalespro!!! Love the car.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Looking at the revised future plans, it looks like they will be getting a refresh in calendar year 2014 and the next gen would be 2017 at the earliest.

Don't expect the 6.2SC Hemi (Hellcat) to show up in anything but SRT vehicles.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
All good questions. I would hope they stay RWD (or RWD-biased AWD) vs FWD, just personal preference (not a big torque steer fan, very big oversteer fan). But 2017 is a LONG way off and in that time who knows what CAFE or other standards may require? Turbocharged 4 cylinders may be the top of the line engine choices, and if that's the case I'll hang on to whatever replaces my current Charger for quite some time :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I remember reading Sergio saying that the 54.5 mpg CAFE rules will force all of Chrysler/FIAT's vehicles to be much more aerodynamic. I believe he said that the 300 will lose its "boxy" styling. So, design-wise, we will see a much more aerodynamic 300.

I absolutely love the current 300's styling, so I'm not sure about my thoughts on this change. However, maybe the structure will lead to the Charger having an extremely long C-pillar (like the '66 Charger or new Rolls-Royce Wraith)? Time will tell, but no substantial changes will probably be made for this upcoming refresh.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
The new 200 will set a new styling paradigm for Chrysler, which will be followed by the refreshed 300.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
The new 200 will set a new styling paradigm for Chrysler, which will be followed by the refreshed 300.
it'll be interesting to see where chrysler can go with a refresh of the LX styling considering the current hard points of the platform. :)

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Maybe it will have six lights on the front. :whistle:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Charger Red said:
And only 2 doors for the letter cars.
You can't have 2 doors Charger and a Challenger, this is why Challenger is available..

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I'll take it as you're being sarcastic..

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The 300 is probably not selling as well as Chrysler would like. I think that is partly due to the redesign that was a little bit timid, which led potential buyers to think it might just have been "lipstick on a pig", IMO.
I don't think Chrysler has done enough advertising to correct this false impression, yet. Personally, I think it's twice the car the original was, but I own a first gen lx.

It is time for a more radical design shift, but I'll wait to see the 200 redesign before I agree thats the way to go. The current car has a more formal look to it which I really like, tho some may not. I think they could improve the aerodynamics like they did with the Ram, while keeping the general shape of the vehicle.

It would also be nice to see more than one bodystyle, like a WAGON, or a large coupe, Not a Challenger, or even a convertible. I'm getting a little sick of just sedans and crossovers in the larger segment, it would be nice to have a little more choice in the selection of vehicles. For example, Maserati has a coupe, convertible, 2 sedans, and soon a crossover, and they sell what, 20,000 units in a good year?

Surely Chrysler can handle something more than just a single body style in it's line up?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
redhed said:
it'll be interesting to see where chrysler can go with a refresh of the LX styling considering the current hard points of the platform. :)
Who knows if the 2017 will be LX based? They may be working on a new platform based off the quattroporte as we debate this :)

Reactions: redhed

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Tomguy said:
Who knows if the 2017 will be LX based? They may be working on a new platform based off the quattroporte as we debate this :)
true...although i was thinking more about the 2014 refresh...

·
Registered
156 Posts
jimboy said:
The 300 is probably not selling as well as Chrysler would like. I think that is partly due to the redesign that was a little bit timid, which led potential buyers to think it might just have been "lipstick on a pig", IMO.
I don't think Chrysler has done enough advertising to correct this false impression, yet. Personally, I think it's twice the car the original was, but I own a first gen lx.

It is time for a more radical design shift, but I'll wait to see the 200 redesign before I agree thats the way to go. The current car has a more formal look to it which I really like, tho some may not. I think they could improve the aerodynamics like they did with the Ram, while keeping the general shape of the vehicle.

It would also be nice to see more than one bodystyle, like a WAGON, or a large coupe, Not a Challenger, or even a convertible. I'm getting a little sick of just sedans and crossovers in the larger segment, it would be nice to have a little more choice in the selection of vehicles. For example, Maserati has a coupe, convertible, 2 sedans, and soon a crossover, and they sell what, 20,000 units in a good year?

Surely Chrysler can handle something more than just a single body style in it's line up?
Is the 300 not selling that well? Not sure that the market for large family sedans was that large, but I never got the impression that they weren't selling well.

A 300 wagon would be AWESOME. The critics would drool over it, but I'm not entirely sure the U.S. market was there. The CTS Wagon was incredible, but was killed off. In Europe, a Lancia Thema wagon has a better shot.
(and would look great: http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2011/07/a-second-chance-for-the-magnum)

If we see the revival of the Dodge Magnum, a 300 wagon should be easy to make. I just hope the market is there to justify Sergio doing what he hates: two similar models in showrooms.

On another note, with the new 200 on the way, I think Dodge and Jeep have HUGE holes to fill before more models can be considered for Chrysler.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The 700C looks to be the styling direction Chrysler is going with as far as styling lines go.
Similar lines and roundness will first be seen in the 200 replacement and my guess would be
that the 300 will have a rounder front and rear than the rendering of the Imperial (below) and
will most likely, closely follow the overall shape of the new Maserati Quattroporte.
Allpar info shows the 300 having a Drag Coefficient (Cd) 0.334 while even the
Giorgietto Giugiaro's Italdesign Eagle Premier's body had a drag coefficient of 0.31 beating out
the Pontiac Trans Am of the same years at 0.32 and the new Maserati Quattroporte's drag coefficient,
which is estimated at Cd = 0.32.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Mopar392 said:
You can't have 2 doors Charger and a Challenger, this is why Challenger is available..
Challenger goes to one door............

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My guess for the next all-new 300 is a blending of the 200C Concept's (mostly from the rear flanks) styling with some old fashioned 300F/H up front brought into the modern era. [STP] :-D

1 - 20 of 328 Posts