Allpar Forums banner

41 - 60 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
JRS200x said:
They are NOT the same vehicle. A Charger R/T Max compared to a loaded 300C are not directly comparable. There are more options in the 300 and the overall trimming is much nicer. Just because YOUR eyes don't discern a huge difference doesn't mean there isn't one, there is.
True...but the performance, feel, and handling of the two cars are identical (unless you opt for one of the higher performance packages on the Charger). I don't think anybody is claiming the cars as a whole are identical...but they are darn near identical is driving characteristics, seat material, and tactile "feel" of the steering wheel and things that people touch. The differences pointed out are largely cosmetic...stripped to their bare bones, there isn't much difference.

I'm not saying the 300 is too expensive...I don't think it is...those luxury cosmetic differences come at a cost.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
JRS200x said:
Don't get me wrong, the R/T Max is a great package and an absolute bargain, but it is not directly comparable to the 300C.
the charger optioned up the same as a 300 is very comparable...and as you said an "abosolute bargain"! that is my point. to my eyes and wallet the 300 isn't a bargain. i suspect others feel the same way, whether or not they cross shop with a charger. :)

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I like the new charger, but I would put it 3rd on my list

1st - my 21013 PCP srt that I will have in 1 week
2nd srt 300 , in black, very menicing
3rd, charger in toxic orange

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
redhed said:
the charger optioned up the same as a 300 is very comparable...and as you said an "abosolute bargain"! that is my point. to my eyes and wallet the 300 isn't a bargain. i suspect others feel the same way, whether or not they cross shop with a charger. :)
Not picking on you, but your thinking is why it is soooooo difficult to move Chrysler upscale in the minds of the public, Many still see it as comparable to a Dodge.

·
3,813 Posts
redhed said:
They are NOT comparable, THAT was my point. Sure, they are both big cars, but they don't play the same. They don't ride the same, they don't handle the same, they are tuned very differently, combine that with a much more luxurious interior on the 300 and a greater selection of options etc and I just don't see them as comparable.

Now, to the person that walks in to a car dealership and says, I want a big car and just looks at you.. well sure, follow me to the Charger, but thats not very often.

·
Registered
259 Posts
On the subject of new 300s, I am looking to trade in my 2008 300, but want all the features the 2014 Jeep GC has, i.e, configurable display, lane departure warning, Uconnect 2 and Adaptive cruise control with stop and go. Anybody know if I can get that in the 2014 300 or do I have to wait for the 2015.

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
382 Posts
edvan said:
On the subject of new 300s, I am looking to trade in my 2008 300, but want all the features the 2014 Jeep GC has, i.e, configurable display, lane departure warning, Uconnect 2 and Adaptive cruise control with stop and go. Anybody know if I can get that in the 2014 300 or do I have to wait for the 2015.

Thanks,

Ed
Probably going to have to wait until (at least) the 2015.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Not picking on you, but your thinking is why it is soooooo difficult to move Chrysler upscale in the minds of the public, Many still see it as comparable to a Dodge.
that's the way many people feel...chrysler isn't there yet. hopefully that stigma will be erased soon!

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Got to see a Thema up close..........very nice​

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ed, I thought I read that the 14 300/ Charger were getting a mild upgrade, which I hope means an updated electical architecture similiar to the 14 GC, and some interior upgrades, I'm hoping better constructed seats. I noticed on the 14 GC configurator that there was something in an ooption package about #1 seat cushions., Might be a good upgrade. Time will tell. I hope we don't have to wait until 2015 for those updates.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mopar AL said:
Ed, I thought I read that the 14 300/ Charger were getting a mild upgrade, which I hope means an updated electical architecture similiar to the 14 GC, and some interior upgrades, I'm hoping better constructed seats. I noticed on the 14 GC configurator that there was something in an ooption package about #1 seat cushions., Might be a good upgrade. Time will tell. I hope we don't have to wait until 2015 for those updates.
From what I've read around here, it was originally planned (thought) to offer a mild refresh on the LX cars for 2014 to coincide with the Hemi/8-Speed combo being launched, but after that was pushed back to next year, they also pushed back the refresh.

·
Defender of Reality
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Mopar AL said:
The refresh is supposed to be coming out in 2014, but it will be a 2015 model.

As for the '14 GC interior, many of the upgrades (like the 8.4 in touch screen) were already available on the 300. The Jeep's center stack hadn't been engineered to accomodate the larger screen so they made the change on the refresh. I would expect the customizable display to end up on every model as it first appeared on the Dodge Dart and is now in the GC refresh.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The 300 / charger were the first vehicles in the corporation to use power net electrical architecture not the GC , so they do not need to be upgraded. It was the GC that needed the upgrade.

Mopar AL said:
Ed, I thought I read that the 14 300/ Charger were getting a mild upgrade, which I hope means an updated electical architecture similiar to the 14 GC

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
They can be running around with current 300 bodies on them for powertrain testing and nobody would notice.

·
Defender of Reality
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Erik Latranyi said:
They can be running around with current 300 bodies on them for powertrain testing and nobody would notice.
True, but you'd think they'd be testing mules with the updated front/rear fascias at least by now....production is a year away meaning that unveil is probably less than a year away at either Detroit or Chicago. I guess since it's a refresh and not a complete redo they can significantly shorten the testing cycle?

·
Durango Dave!
843 Posts
chewie402 said:
True...but the performance, feel, and handling of the two cars are identical (unless you opt for one of the higher performance packages on the Charger). I don't think anybody is claiming the cars as a whole are identical...but they are darn near identical is driving characteristics, seat material, and tactile "feel" of the steering wheel and things that people touch. The differences pointed out are largely cosmetic...stripped to their bare bones, there isn't much difference.

I'm not saying the 300 is too expensive...I don't think it is...those luxury cosmetic differences come at a cost.
Well, stripped to the bare bones a Lexus isn't much different from a Toyota,... And the same can be said for many other makers that charge a real premium for their "Luxury" iterations of their mainstream offerings; Acura/Honda and Infiniti/Nissan to name a few. It's all about choice, these are all different enough in suspension set-ups, options list, and perceived prestige to offer the consumer more of a choice.

The same can be said for Kia/Hyundai, Ford/Lincoln, Audi/VW to a lesser extent, and of course GM with Cadillac/Buick/Chevrolet... Similar bones, varying degrees of difference gives the automakers the ability to offer the consumer options without having to jump ship.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Of course, tests begin early, in many cases three years in advance, many future vehicles are already being tested.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Bajanbuoy said:
Well, stripped to the bare bones a Lexus isn't much different from a Toyota,... And the same can be said for many other makers that charge a real premium for their "Luxury" iterations of their mainstream offerings; Acura/Honda and Infiniti/Nissan to name a few. It's all about choice, these are all different enough in suspension set-ups, options list, and perceived prestige to offer the consumer more of a choice.

The same can be said for Kia/Hyundai, Ford/Lincoln, Audi/VW to a lesser extent, and of course GM with Cadillac/Buick/Chevrolet... Similar bones, varying degrees of difference gives the automakers the ability to offer the consumer options without having to jump ship.
except the japanese companies in particular have build up enough of a reputation that they can get away with charging a fair amount more for a lexus es350 vs a toyota avalon. two cars very similar underneath the styling... chrysler doesn't YET have that reputation. hopefully soon...

41 - 60 of 328 Posts