Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,836 Posts
Coupe SUVs haven't really been offered in non-luxury brands. Honda Crosstour doesn't count IMO as it was before the SUV craze. If they were offered from non luxury brands I think they'd be much more common.

Personally, I love the coupe SUV body style but I also like the traditional SUV shape too.
It would be a good way to differentiate a Dodge from a Jeep.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Plans for new products from Italian and US during 2019-2021 calendar years are already out.

I don't know why are some insisting on MY. They are never used for plans.
We are a year now passed from when the last four year plan was delivered so it makes sense that the product planning cycle happening now extends a year beyond the prior publication. So that would fall in line with calendar 2022/MY 2023, which is when we should see the next gen Cherokee.

·
Jeepaholic
5,889 Posts
Coupe SUVs haven't really been offered in non-luxury brands. Honda Crosstour doesn't count IMO as it was before the SUV craze. If they were offered from non luxury brands I think they'd be much more common.

Personally, I love the coupe SUV body style but I also like the traditional SUV shape too.
I love the look of the coupe SUV's...until I have to fit stuff in the trunk space. Then the expletives start...and I'm not good at making them stop. :D

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
We are a year now passed from when the last four year plan was delivered so it makes sense that the product planning cycle happening now extends a year beyond the prior publication. So that would fall in line with calendar 2022/MY 2023, which is when we should see the next gen Cherokee.
Forget the plans although they will stick to electrification plans.

Look at official FCA press releases about investment in Italian and US factories and future products for them. All goes for 2019-2021 calendar years.
Ok, we don't know nothing for Canada, Mexico, Europe outside of Italy, because nothing's has been announced.

As we know some vehicles launched in 2021 could be MY22 and actually it's very likely they will be.

Speaking about 2018-2022 plan. Both all new Cherokee and all new Renegade were part of this plan but in my opinion they could pushed all the way through calendar 2023. This would mean that final decisions on their future could came in calendar 2021.
In the best case their production would start in calendar 2022 so decision should be made in calendar 2020.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Personally, I hope the next Cherokee is RWD for two reasons: first, I just prefer the RWD engine layout. Second, and probably more importantly, I personally prefer the short front overhangs the RWD vehicles have. From some angles I really dislike the long snout of the current Cherokee.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Personally, I hope the next Cherokee is RWD for two reasons: first, I just prefer the RWD engine layout. Second, and probably more importantly, I personally prefer the short front overhangs the RWD vehicles have. From some angles I really dislike the long snout of the current Cherokee.
If they are making RWD they have to stuff an I-6 in it.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Imagine the front approach angle improvements too!

Reactions: o_swas

·
Registered
274 Posts
It isn't.
It isn't? Everything has been pointing to that, and I'm about positive almost every insider has said it would, even just yesterday Mopar Insoders said it would be on Giorgio. What will it be on then?

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
It isn't.
It isn't? Everything has been pointing to that, and I'm about positive almost every insider has said it would, even just yesterday Mopar Insoders said it would be on Giorgio. What will it be on then?
Can we say it's the same architecture? I believe so.

In any case it's called Giorgio and it will be shared with Alfa and Maserati models, E and F segment models.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Can we say it's the same architecture? I believe so.

In any case it's called Giorgio and it will be shared with Alfa and Maserati models, E and F segment models.
Well it won't be the same Architecture because the top hat model from Ford is dead, even sort of at Ford. But it will be from the Giorgio lineage. Maybe with something added like Plus or Global ….. a little bird told me Global ;)...

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Well it won't be the same Architecture because the top hat model from Ford is dead, even sort of at Ford. But it will be from the Giorgio lineage. Maybe with something added like Plus or Global ….. a little bird told me Global ;)...
Top hat is long dead... But I still believe that we are talking about the same family of arhitecture. Not about something totally different.

The major difference could be at the front. Width is not an issue even in this current iteration.

BTW. If we look at the pictures of GU/949 and WL it's very clear that rear suspension is very different.
Maybe @Adventurer55 can't see it clearly and can skip few posts where WL SRT is mentioned in connection to Italian suspension development.

In any case this version to Giorgio according to plans could serve up to 4 different brands. Two from Italy and two from US.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Top hat is long dead... But I still believe that we are talking about the same family of arhitecture. Not about something totally different.

The major difference could be at the front. Width is not an issue even in this current iteration.

BTW. If we look at the pictures of GU/949 and WL it's very clear that rear suspension is very different.
Maybe @Adventurer55 can't see it clearly and can skip few posts where WL SRT is mentioned in connection to Italian suspension development.

In any case this version to Giorgio according to plans could serve up to 4 different brands. Two from Italy and two from US.
There will be a new platform not the Giorgio, based on the Giorgio that will be large enough to accommodate larger vehicles. It design language will be familiar to the Giorgio but will be optimized to the vehicle. Currently the Giorgio underpins 2 models for Alfa, even the next midsized vehicles if they share Giorgio build points will have evolved past the Giorgio. Its a brave new world for people to understand. There will be enough wiggle room in this whole thing to have people complain that Alfa was a waste of money because things are no top hatted on a Alfa, and those who will argue that it wasn't because its the Giorgio platform even though it really isn't the same. Neither is correct.... or wrong other than it wasn't a waste of money.... Get your popcorn.

On subject I find is odd the Chrysler commander has not been already launched …. it make me wonder aloud that Belvedere is in line to get reconfigured and the Commander will be the Portal in Caravan capacity. Given the likely volume of a volume of the Pacifica, Pacifica sized CUV, and Portal the volume could be fulfilled in WInsor… Leaving Cherokee to be something more and above the Compass.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I suspect that you two are arguing about what to call the thing you're talking about, because I'm pretty sure you both know exactly what WL is built from, and what else is going to be built from it.

"A set of components and design systems for a family of vehciles, where some are free to vary in size and shape, and others are not, but where, as much as possible, the same class of component is kept interchangeable between all members of the family" is pretty hard to capture in one word.

I always imagined "Portal" would be based on the 3-Row "Grand Commander", especially as it would allow Windsor to make a big CUV (of the Toyota Highlander kind) for Chrysler.

Another factor, but a longer term one: I could see one of the two Canadian factories shifting to more "global" products, based on the current state of international trade treaties (Canadian production will soon be a 0% import into Europe), but I can't see it happening on this model cycle.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I suspect that you two are arguing about what to call the thing you're talking about, because I'm pretty sure you both know exactly what WL is built from, and what else is going to be built from it.

"A set of components and design systems for a family of vehciles, where some are free to vary in size and shape, and others are not, but where, as much as possible, the same class of component is kept interchangeable between all members of the family" is pretty hard to capture in one word.

I always imagined "Portal" would be based on the 3-Row "Grand Commander", especially as it would allow Windsor to make a big CUV (of the Toyota Highlander kind) for Chrysler.

Another factor, but a longer term one: I could see one of the two Canadian factories shifting to more "global" products, based on the current state of international trade treaties (Canadian production will soon be a 0% import into Europe), but I can't see it happening on this model cycle.
Not really arguing just trying to sort out the language that is been confusing …..

Is it G platform? No
Was the G platform instrumental in its creation.. Yes.
Will it be called G architecture... Yes and No.

Words sort of matter to engineers no matter the marketing take. Could it have been given a entirely new name other GG or G+? yes... still could.

Reactions: KrisW

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I'm an engineer, I fully agree with the importance of naming things properly.

My understanding is that the framework (to steal a term from software that sort-of fits) in question is in fact referred to as "GG", to differentiate it from the original, more local, "G".

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Total speculation here, but if the Grand Cherokee will be growing a bit in size (even the two row version; interior space is often cited as a deficiency for the current GC) perhaps the next-gen Cherokee will grow to be almost the size of the current Grand Cherokee. Perhaps that would leave a little more space between the Compass and Cherokee.

·
Jeepaholic
5,889 Posts
Total speculation here, but if the Grand Cherokee will be growing a bit in size (even the two row version; interior space is often cited as a deficiency for the current GC) perhaps the next-gen Cherokee will grow to be almost the size of the current Grand Cherokee. Perhaps that would leave a little more space between the Compass and Cherokee.
Cherokee could grow to a similar size as the old Liberty, perhaps even a bit bigger....that is a vehicle that could interest me....

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Super Moderator
6,989 Posts
Cherokee could grow to a similar size as the old Liberty, perhaps even a bit bigger....that is a vehicle that could interest me....
Pretty sure it's already bigger than the Liberty.

Edit:
2002 Liberty - 71.6" wide, 174.7" long
2012 Liberty - 73.1" wide, 176.1" long
2019 Cherokee - 73.2" wide, 182" long

In fact, the Liberty is closer in size to the new Compass.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts