Allpar Forums banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
It would be great to have the next Cherokee share a shortened Grand Cherokee architecture and be built in Jefferson North/Mack.

That would leave Belvidere wide open. Chrysler small CUVs on EMP? Then Windsor can be large Chrysler CUVs/Minivan on a stretched EMP.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
A RWD Cherokee would be awesome
Amen! RWD based AWD of course.
It would be great to have the next Cherokee share a shortened Grand Cherokee architecture and be built in Jefferson North/Mack.

That would leave Belvidere wide open. Chrysler small CUVs on EMP? Then Windsor can be large Chrysler CUVs/Minivan on a stretched EMP.
Wouldn't it be better on the OG Giorgio dimensionally, with necessary mods? A "G4X" platform, for lack of a better identifier.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
I think it should be slightly longer than the Stevio. atleast in the rear. so that itll have better Cargo room.
Agreed. Stelvio is a bit small.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I think it should be slightly longer than the Stevio. atleast in the rear. so that itll have better Cargo room.
Stelvio has a very long rear overhang. Consequently cargo areas is very long, 1 meter long, give or take it few centimetres. What eats its cargo capacity by EPA standards is roof line. Boxy design would solve it.

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
Stelvio has a very long rear overhang. Consequently cargo areas is very long, 1 meter long, give or take it few centimetres. What eats its cargo capacity by EPA standards is roof line. Boxy design would solve it.
Agreed, otherwise, you might as well buy a sedan.

Reactions: valiant67

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Agreed, otherwise, you might as well buy a sedan.
Disagree, not even close. Just try to use sedan with small opening where almost nothing bigger fits in or better said can't go in or out through tiny opening. Usually just a small Euro style hatchback can solve this issue. In my book there is nothing wrong with Stelvio's cargo space.

BTW, there is an interesting review on the web:

It says:
Pros:
  • Surprisingly large cargo area

There is picture of it:

Just try to fit this in for example Jeep Compass.

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
Disagree, not even close. Just try to use sedan with small opening where almost nothing bigger fits in or better said can't go in or out through tiny opening. Usually just a small Euro style hatchback can solve this issue. In my book there is nothing wrong with Stelvio's cargo space.

BTW, there is an interesting review on the web:

It says:
Pros:
  • Surprisingly large cargo area

There is picture of it:
View attachment 73409

Just try to fit this in for example Jeep Compass.
You're right, the larger opening vs a sedan is definitely better than a little trunk opening, and I'm not disagreeing with you on that. And for smaller items like shown in the back of that Stelvio it won't be that big of a deal. Actually, I suspect that all of those things would fit in the back of a Compass, since it is designed well for cargo room, although you may have more of the rear window blocked by items than in the Stelvio.

However, I have routinely ran into issues with larger items which fit on the floor space of a vehicle, but the height of the item causes a conflict with the sloped rear window. My Caliber had this issue, and my Cherokee has the same problem because of the sloped rear design. And to a certain extent, my parent's Grand Caravan does too. It's one thing to have to pack the back of a vehicle with pillows that can conform to a shape, vs packing the back of a vehicle with boxes that don't conform.

For example, I helped my brother move about a year ago. I had to make 3 trips with my Cherokee, instead of 2 had the rear not been so sloped. If you're moving a bunch of smaller items, or soft items, it won't be that bad, but once you start using bigger things, like moving totes or cabinets, it quickly becomes apparent. Other than his queen size mattress (which we got to fit in my Cherokee with a bit of effort!) this red cabinet/locker was the next biggest item. As you can see here, it fits behind the front seats by moving them up about an inch or so from where I usually sit:

However, we had to lay it down on it's back so that it wouldn't make contact with the Cherokee's rear window:

Notice the amount of space on both sides of the cabinet. It's not enough for the totes he used. Had the cabinet been able to lay on it's side, we would have been able to fit the rest of his moving totes in for this trip, but because we couldn't fit them, there was a 3rd trip needed for those few remaining totes.

Now, yes, my parent's Grand Caravan would have done this in 2 trips at most, maybe even 1 trip if I did it right, but it was in Florida at the time with them. The extra trip wasn't a big deal as I was only moving my brother's extra stuff from his old apartment to my parent's house, but imagine, if we had to travel a few hours for each trip.

This situation doesn't happen to me often, but it's enough of a theme in my life, and over a number of vehicles that sloped rear designs annoy me.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
You're right, the larger opening vs a sedan is definitely better than a little trunk opening, and I'm not disagreeing with you on that. And for smaller items like shown in the back of that Stelvio it won't be that big of a deal. Actually, I suspect that all of those things would fit in the back of a Compass, since it is designed well for cargo room, although you may have more of the rear window blocked by items than in the Stelvio.

However, I have routinely ran into issues with larger items which fit on the floor space of a vehicle, but the height of the item causes a conflict with the sloped rear window. My Caliber had this issue, and my Cherokee has the same problem because of the sloped rear design. And to a certain extent, my parent's Grand Caravan does too. It's one thing to have to pack the back of a vehicle with pillows that can conform to a shape, vs packing the back of a vehicle with boxes that don't conform.

For example, I helped my brother move about a year ago. I had to make 3 trips with my Cherokee, instead of 2 had the rear not been so sloped. If you're moving a bunch of smaller items, or soft items, it won't be that bad, but once you start using bigger things, like moving totes or cabinets, it quickly becomes apparent. Other than his queen size mattress (which we got to fit in my Cherokee with a bit of effort!) this red cabinet/locker was the next biggest item. As you can see here, it fits behind the front seats by moving them up about an inch or so from where I usually sit:

However, we had to lay it down on it's back so that it wouldn't make contact with the Cherokee's rear window:

Notice the amount of space on both sides of the cabinet. It's not enough for the totes he used. Had the cabinet been able to lay on it's side, we would have been able to fit the rest of his moving totes in for this trip, but because we couldn't fit them, there was a 3rd trip needed for those few remaining totes.

Now, yes, my parent's Grand Caravan would have done this in 2 trips at most, maybe even 1 trip if I did it right, but it was in Florida at the time with them. The extra trip wasn't a big deal as I was only moving my brother's extra stuff from his old apartment to my parent's house, but imagine, if we had to travel a few hours for each trip.

This situation doesn't happen to me often, but it's enough of a theme in my life, and over a number of vehicles that sloped rear designs annoy me.
A nice square vehicle can haul lots of stuff. We moved my mom from her house into an apartment with exactly two vehicles... my wife's Grand Caravan and my sister's Kia Soul. Didn't even need my Ram.

·
Super Moderator
37,484 Posts
I didn't know that you can get much more square than the Wrangler... Or the Renegade...
Except Wrangler’s cargo area is compromised by the “roll bar” and wheel tubs so there’s not really that much there.
Renegade does have a nice cargo area for its size.

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
Sad that the Bronco Sport has the vehicle shape that Jeeps ought to have.
If the Bronco Sport had more features, I would definitely look into it when I replace my Cherokee!

I didn't know that you can get much more square than the Wrangler... Or the Renegade...
When I was buying my Cherokee, I did seriously look at the Wrangler because of the square cargo area!

Except Wrangler’s cargo area is compromised by the “roll bar” and wheel tubs so there’s not really that much there.
Renegade does have a nice cargo area for its size.
Wrangler isn't a cargo van back there, but it's very useful, IMO!

Yeah, Compass and Renegade do a great job for their size!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sad that the Bronco Sport has the vehicle shape that Jeeps ought to have.
Saw a Bronco Sport on a carrier next to me at a light yesterday. It pains me to say this about a Ford but the exterior looks awesome.. I beleive it is about the same dimensions as a Compass and about a half foot longer than the Renegade. Styling wise I would pick the Bronco over either of the Jeeps. I haven't read enough about the powertrains and interior to judge that yet.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Still want all 3500, 2500 and 1500 production in America.

Hint Belvidere.

This would also open up 4500/5500 production at Saltillo.
Why would they spend at least 1 to 2 billion dollars to move product that is already building that product to a plant that is 30 years older then the one they're building it in now? While I would love to see them back in the states, it doesn't make a good business case to move them.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts