Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week most of the R134a refrigerant leaked out of the AC system. After inspection it seems obvious where the leak is. The high side port has some oil residue around it and on the cap. Simply loosening the cap creates a hiss sound.

Chrysler, for some reason, decided to eliminate replaceable valve cores on these Gen III minivans. The repair procedure requires complete replacement of the line. This is the liquid line which includes the 2nd port for the pressure transducer and is the most expensive line of all 3. With my 25% discount on Mopar Parts, I can purchase the liquid line for about $120 which includes sales tax. I would have to pick it up at "will call" at the Tampa warehouse which is about a 50 mile round trip for me. The other alternative was to check the aftermarket parts market and I found that there is one out there distributed by Blue Line. I went ahead and ordered the piece which is $49 + $14 to ship. I don't know anything about the quality but at least it has a replaceable valve core, The unit came with all the needed O-rings plus they threw in a complete package of O-rings for all the fittings on this vehicle. Here is a picture:

Here is a shot of the high pressure port and another picture looking in under the hood. This will be quite a job because it routes under the engine mount and to the dryer which is under the front hood rail which will need to come off. I'm expecting a several hour project to get this done. I know the dryer should be replaced, but I had the system open last year and replaced it then. I plan to hold a vacuum for a couple of hours before recharging. The oil loss appears to be a fraction of an ounce so I'm taking a chance by not adding any. I'll give a final report when the project is done.

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
Interesting project John. I wish this had happened a few weeks ago as I could have removed the line from my '96 while I had the front end tore down and the radiator out. Delivering it to you could have been a good excuse for a lunch and some chat time. Isn't that the van an Allpar member sold and I'd seriously thought about buying it but you got it first?

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the van Ray. I've done a lot of work on it, but it still drives good. We took it up to New England and back this Summer and the AC worked good through those 105+ degree days in the Carolinas and Virginia.

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
I can't even remember who had it for sale but I was seriously interested. Next thing I knew, you had it. When was that .... '99 - '00?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it was actually around 2002-2003. I have put 95,000 on it since I bought it.

On to the project.... the old line is off, the new one is on and I'vacuuming the system. A lot still has to go back together. I had to take the alternator off, disconnect the fuel line, one emissions line, and almost had to take the power steering reservoir line off. I worked around that line by suspending it up with a bungy cord. This liquid line has a mid span coupler which uses a 24 mm tubing wrench and a 22 mm wrench to hold the solid flats to keep the line from twisting. It is right up against the frame. Fortunately I had the tubing crow foots for that coupler. The only way to get around seperating the sections would be to support the engine and remove the engine mount and the PS fill line. Then that line can be pulled straight up (I believe). What a nuisance job!

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
You're going to deserve a tall, frosty beverage after this job for sure, John!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're going to deserve a tall, frosty beverage after this job for sure, John!
Yes indeed Chuzz. :)

The project is done and I'm done in for the day. It is still darn hot and muggy here. At the conclusion of the charging process the vent temp was about 45 with the blower on full blast. Time will tell how it performs and if the system is tight. I have an 85 mile round trip tomorrow and I'm crossing my fingers that I freeze the whole way. :lol:

One final picture of part of the new line installed in the vehicle. The system is being vacuumed but the alternator, fuel line and emission line is still off. You can see the coupler nut under that foam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts