Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New here with a 1982 New Yorker 5th ave. Been slowing working on it as I drove the car. Things are coming together ok as I am restoring it. Last week warning up in morning and just died. From that point on, no spark coming out of coil. New coil the same. Power going in to both sides of coil, with key in on position and when cranking power going to coil, but no spark. Over a period of time, I have replaced, Electronic Fuel Control System, black box connected to air cleaner, new coil, new wires, carb and everythiing else not associated with this problem. Car is in excellent condtion, no leaks, etc, excellent base to restore.
Car was running just fine, getting in the 20s mpgs and just died that morning, no spark coming from coil, but power going in.
The book writes of a ballast resistor on these cars, but I swear I have seached high and low for it, my guess in it build into the EFC system on air clearner.
Been on this problem for days, testing in every direction, checking all grounds time and again.
Car has original 74,000 + miles
Has anyone had to deal with this issue and if so any clues as to what may be wrong? Getting ready to place in a new coil as it is possible for the other one to not work properly, made in china. Both coils read slightly under 1ohm and 9,000 ohms.
Thanks for your assistance.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
9,000 ohms seems on the low side, it may not allow enough secondary voltage to build up for a good spark. Someone here might know what is right for your car, but most cars have a specification up around the 13,000 ohm range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Yes I thought the 9 was a little shy, old factory one had 10. Yet I have put another of this same brand on, after I had replace the old back on and they all act the same. Power to the coil but no spark out to dist. Replaced condenser on the side of the coil also. Any ideas of what could prevent coil from firing, other than the new computer I put in going bad and not sending signal to fire?
Thanks for your time.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
That could do it. Are you getting 12V to the positive side of the coil with key on? The computer switches the negative side between 12V and ground to fire the coil. If the ASD relay opens, the positive side of the coil won't get voltage.

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
There is no ballast resistor by 1982. I'd suspect the pickup coil in the distributor as you've changed almost everything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, good info.
Getting power to coil, how much unknown, but will test.
I beginning to suspect the distributor also. Pick up coil here we come. Correct me if wrong in my thinking, but does not the coil have to receive a signal from some point to send the current over. Heck it could have busted the dist gear or even the timing gears for all I know. I will just pull dist cap and see if it is moving, that is 30 year parts inside. You'll help greatly appricated.
These are cool cars, like to keep it out of the scrap yard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found this small piece of information below:
open dist up and took photos, trying to figure how to post for others to see
There was a build of a paperlike substance on the 2 pick up coils inside, cleaned off with no results, looked like couple field mice lived inside.
Without a signal the coil does not know to fire. I will let others know if this is the solution to the issue.
Thanks for you'll advice.

The theory of operation is very simple. The reluctor is similar to the rotor of a points type system, except it has vertical vanes that protrude from the side. As the distributor turns, these vanes pass very close to the core of the pickup coil. This induces a small electrical pulse into the coil, which is sent to the ECU. The ECU acts as an amplifier for these pulses and in turn sends a much larger pulse to the ignition coil. The coil acts the same way as in a points type system and produces the high voltage needed to fire the spark plugs.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Nice. Was it a damaged pickup coil in the distributor, where the reluctor teeth were scraping the coil, or sheared it off?

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, this car does not have ignition module.
it is all orginal factory taped up wiring, unharmed and in great condition for age, all electicial works in car
It was the damaged pickup coils inside distributor, they were completely off, build up over the year
on all surfaces and sitting in a field for over 5 years.
It is wonder it even ran quite frankly, I am surprised.
What I am surprised also about is the power it now has, a screaming 318, had no idea
that they could run this well. This is my first Chrysler. After 30 years and no leaks
no oil burning, looks to be mpgs in the lower 20s, every little thing just about working properly,
Taken care up, guess these models can last.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Glad to hear you've got it on the road and are enjoying it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts