Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the instrument panel lights on 2005 PT cruiser limited. Followed directions. Made sure they worked before reassembly. Went to start the car and nothing happens. Lights turn on, windows work, power everywhere. Turn the key to start and nothing. I can hear a slight sound while in the car. No sound of any kind can be heard under the hood. I have checked fuses and other fuse box components. No luck on anything. Any ideas? I have checked u-tube.

·
Super Moderator
21,629 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Did you drop the steering column to get the cluster out? Is it possible that an underdash connector pulled apart or the BTSI cable to the shifter got pulled on and changed adjustment?
Is the PRND3L display showing it in Park or Neutral? Is it all the way into Park? Have you tried starting it in Neutral?
To help prevent blown fuses and possible other circuit damage, it is important to disconnect one side of the battery (usually the negative (-) side) before this type of service. This prevents accidental shorts that may occur.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Did you drop the steering column to get the cluster out? Is it possible that an underdash connector pulled apart or the BTSI cable to the shifter got pulled on and changed adjustment?
Is the PRND3L display showing it in Park or Neutral? Is it all the way into Park? Have you tried starting it in Neutral?
To help prevent blown fuses and possible other circuit damage, it is important to disconnect one side of the battery (usually the negative (-) side) before this type of service. This prevents accidental shorts that may occur.
Shifter not quite in park is more common than people think.
Spent an hour in the snow Sunday helping a friend start her car after church. Was about to jump the battery but lights, radio and all other electrics worked. But no sound at all from the started or solenoid. Put the shifter in neutral to try to push it away from a snow bank and tried the key then. Started right up. Perhaps when the trans was rebuilt the neutral switch got misadjusted? Not familiar with Ford products. But now she knows what to do if it occurs again.

Reactions: ImperialCrown

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,971 Posts
Or a flaky TRS (Transmission Range Sensor).

·
Super Moderator
32,264 Posts
My truck had a recall for not staying in park, issued when it was 8 years old, but my SIL ignored it when my brother owned the truck and was overseas. It didn't get done until the truck was 12 years old and I owned it. It never showed any problem at all before the recall fix. After, it would not start in park maybe 1 time out of 10. Always started in neutral. They created a problem that was never there for me. Still have to tweak the shift linkage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts