Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all the lights come but when trying to start it all i hear is the relays in the fuse box . i got a new starter,solenoid,and battery and still dead in the water

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
. . . all the lights come but when trying to start it all i hear is the relays in the fuse box . i got a new starter,solenoid,and battery and still dead in the water . . .
Let's start with some basic information. Vehicle year, model, engine, transmission.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
So, if you can hear the relays, the issue is not the neutral safety switch or its alignment, since there would be total silence. Relays attempting to close tells us that some current is getting to them, probably not enough. So there may be a high-resistance path - at the battery clamps, starter connections, relay box/sockets, or a corroded/failing wire connection such as the infamous bad splice in the early 90s Dakota.
First, measure battery with engine off. Should be about 12.4 to 12.6 volts. Then turn on headlights and measure. Should stay above 12.0 volts for 15 minutes.
Next, measure with a voltmeter between the + battery terminal and + clamp. Should be virtually zero volts. Do the same for the - battery terminal and - clamp. Then turn on the headlights and take these two readings again. Should be 0.1 volts or less. If 0.3 volts or more, you have a bad connection/oxidation between post and clamp.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
. . . 2008 dodge dakota laramie 4.7 automatic. New battery, new starter and solenoid, . . .
TIPM (totally integrated power module) is controlling the starter operation. Check the YL/GY between TIPM and starter solenoid for 12 volt power when ignition key switch is turned to START position. If NO voltage then starting control circuit issue at or before the TIPM. If voltage then starter issue or connection issue at battery cables (battery or solenoid). See attached image.

You indicated that the battery, starter and solenoid replaced. Did you check starter to see if it operated properly before installation? New or rebuilt starters sometimes are dead / not functional before installation.

Starter Wiring TIPM.gif

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
What did it turn out to be?

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
This is why I do it myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts