Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So a couple weekends ago I did a head replacement along with injectors, intake and exhaust manifolds, turbo, etc... A lot of fun stuff in any case, but when I try to start it she's not getting any power to the coil. I've checked the HEP and ASD relay and they're both in working order, so I'm completely stumped! Any help would be great!

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Check the rotor is turning when you crank the engine. Check for 12V at the coil with key on (while the ASD relay is closed). No codes?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rotor does turb when I crank the engine, the coils is getting nothing with the key on. The only code I had before was a code 13 because I had wired a 3-bar map in a mixed up two of the wires

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
How did you validate the HEP and ASD? If the ASD is good, the coil should get 12V for the first second or two that the key is on. Does the fuel pump run during that time?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
So, no spark at the plug wires? I use something like this device to test for spark:

http://www.amazon.com/Thexton-404-Adjustable-Ignition-Tester/dp/B0002STSBM/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a test lamp and the coil isn't getting any power at all, so yeah no spark at the plug wires

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
And did you install the capacitor correctly on the outside of the coil?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I made sure all connections were put back and all grounds were secured when I reinstalled the head. She started when the install was done, but wasn't running properly so I parked her. Came back a few days later and she did not want to start. this was after I rewired the 3 Bar MAP into the system, but I don't think that would cause it to not start right?

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Sure, if it's wired wrong, it can give an improper mixture and not start. A MAP signal that is incorrect causes rough running and stalling, but can prevent starting if far enough out of range.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was sure I had wired it in wrong the first time because I was getting a Code 13 and she was running like crap. But I dont think that would explain no power to the coil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts