Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I have noticed a small knocking noise in the right rear passenger side of my 2004 sebring when I go over bumps. more noticeable when someone sitting in back seat.

not sure if it is the shock or strut but if it is, are they difficult to replace?

thanks

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Most likely it is the upper strut mount, they tend to rust out and cause noise.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
The upper spring/strut mount in the rear of these cars was cast aluminum. After a few years of damp and salty weather, they oxidized and crumbled into white powder. The spring and strut themselves may be fine.
The factory replacement mount is now steel. You may want to replace both sides. You will need metric tools, a spring compressor and jackstands if you want to try and do this yourself. A service manual with procedures and pictures can help also.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi There,

I have noticed a small knocking noise in the right rear passenger side of my 2004 sebring when I go over bumps. more noticeable when someone sitting in back seat.

not sure if it is the shock or strut but if it is, are they difficult to replace?

thanks
I've done both of the rear shock mounts, not really a bad job, but the lower shock bolt might be really tight. Got replacement mounts from Rockauto.
But, when my shock mount failed, it was definitely not a "small knocking noise", it was a bit more. So you might have something else than this mount failure...

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm in agreement with all these people, I have 2 of these cars and our family has another 4 of them and the only one to not break the strut mount yet is my 2001 because it has never seen winter or for the most part even rain. All the others including my 02 have went like clockwork in the last year. Starts out with a little rattle and then all of a sudden banging. Take a flashlight and look at the mounting "ears" you will see the aluminum mount and if the ears are cracked, you will see it and you have found your problem. Rock Auto or Oreilly Auto Parts has the mounts for around 30 dollars for both sides (made by Dorman Products), cheaper at Rock Auto if you can wait the few days to get them shipped. Replaced so many that I can do the strut job in about 45 min start to finish. First time took about 2 hrs though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks black stratus..will check the mounting ears..did you use a service manual on some of the first ones you replaced?

·
Registered
398 Posts
thanks black stratus..will check the mounting ears..did you use a service manual on some of the first ones you replaced?
I had access to AllData at the time and used that. Monroe also makes a Quick Strut for the Stratus 01-06 (non-RT sedan only) if your strut is bad also, that would take some of the work out of the job. But the last Stratus (2005) that we did 3 weeks ago, the strut was still good and we just replaced the upper mount.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again BlackStratus..I guess if you just replace the upper mount you do not have to compress any springs or anything so more straightforward.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks again BlackStratus..I guess if you just replace the upper mount you do not have to compress any springs or anything so more straightforward.
Yes you do have to compress the spring because the metal thing that is cracked is actually the mount and is bolted (held on) by the top bolt in the strut. It then goes in as a unit. You can rent the spring compressor at any local auto parts store.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All,

Well one of the strut mounts broke yesterday so will have to deal with it. I was curious if anyone had heard of Chrysler covering the cost or some of the cost of this defect?

THanks

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
I've never heard of it being covered. It was fairly common on salt belt JR cars that ended production in 2006. I just can't see anything happening now.
It was annoying more than it was a safety concern. I see no open NHSTA complaints or investigations about it. The replacement upper bracket is stamped steel instead of aluminum.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Probably not. However if a 4 wheel alignment was done while the mount was disintegrating, then the rear alignment could be off with a new mount.
It never hurts to have the alignment checked if you have any doubts about it, the steering wheel 'straight-ahead' position changes or notice strange treadwear patterns. If you catch it early, you can make the tire life last longer.
Lining the original washer paint marks up with the re-assembly should keep the original position of the suspension components.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks very much..I have not had an alignment done on the car since I have had it so maybe will install the parts and see how it is afterwards...Will keep an eye on the paint marks..

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi ,

Ended up taking in my car to a place to get it done..Could not get the bottom bolt out and was afraid of breaking off bolt..

They replaced both brackets and replaced the struts also..They showed me the old struts and they were leaking and you could push them down really easy.

Feels like a new car and really handles well.

$780.00 bill though..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hit a bump last week and now I have a rattling sound coming from the right rear. On top of it the wheel is visibly out of alignment.

The mechanic seems to think I bent either the arm or the knuckle that support that wheel, but that doesn't seem to make sense with the sound that I'm hearing. It seems more likely that I broke either the strut or the strut plate.

Is it possible that a broken strut plate could cause the wheel to look visibly out of alignment?

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Inside the trunk on top of either side of the wheelhouses, you will see the black rubber caps that hide the top strut nuts. The struts should be roughly centered in the holes.
Also with a helper in the trunk with the seatback folded down on a roadtest, they should be able to tell if the noise is from under the trunk floor or at the top of the strut mounts.
If you jack up that side of the car with the wheel hanging down, a broken strut mount can allow the strut to come out of the mounting hole.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts