Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Will a non infinity radio work in an infinity system?

The tape deck in the 1991 5th Ave thinks there is a tape in mine even though there is not. I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet to see if i can fix the switch and get that to stop.

Have another non-infinity radio from a 1990

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The wiring harness connectors for those radios are the same, 2 thin black and gray. The difference between the 2 different systems is basically aditional amps and more and/or better speakers.

If you plug in the non-infinity radio and have no sound, the problem is that radio isn't outputing a 12v signal to the amp(s) to turn them on. If you bring up a wiring diagram you'll see this wire labeled as either remote or antenna. If memory serves it's the solid blue or red and green wire close to the end or at the end of the black connector, but don't hold me to that.

Hopefully someone who knows more aobut these systems can chime in and give more information but this should at least get you started somewhere. I don't see a problem with plugging in the radio and just seeing if it works, as far as I've seen, the wiring for any 84ish-01 radio should be the same as long as it has those 2 thin connectors.

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
It should work, as long as there is power to the amp.
I've swap a non-Infinity radios into Infinity cars and vice-versa with no issues.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
It'll work. Should be plug and play. Earlier Fifths required a separate female spade connector on its own wire to be grounded back behind the radio so the amp relay would fire, but this was eliminated with the Infinity RS system in the 1991 and newer cars. All you do on the newer cars is plug it in and listen to stuff :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I'm sure this topic was posted before but couldn't get much in the search.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
works like a charm but i must say I like the 94 generation infinity better than this 90 non infinity.

With the change I realized there are a few other things not working right on the 94 radio (balance for example was very intermittent.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You may be able to clear up the balance problem by rapidly working the balance joystick in a circular motion for a minute or two. This may help clear oxidation buildup on the four internal potentiometers that control the speaker levels. Really bad cases would call for disassembly and cleaning the controls with an aerosol type cleaner made specifically for cleaning potentiometers, volume controls, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts