Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on a little project lately. I have a 54cc Homelite 330 chainsaw engine set up on an old mountain bike frame to make myself a litte motorcycle, and I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out the air cleaner set-up. The motor originally pulled air through the choke cover through a filter mounted at one end. This was all part of an outer housing that I removed because it was too bulky. I've solved the now-lack-of-a-choke with a primer system, but I need to fab some sort of air horn to connect the air filter to the carburetor. I know that HDPE (recycling number 2) is gasoline-resistant, but I can't find any sort of tube to connect to the filter. I need to make a 90 degree bend in the intake tube to clear the top of the frame. Any ideas as to what I could use? I know PVC isn't gas-resistant, and this may be exposed to fuel from the primer or carburetor. What about PET (plastic bottle material)?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
How about an on-line search of pre-molded rubber air intake hose?
Maybe a mower shop or Ace Hardware has something. Even ABS plumbing fittings could work.
Most PET and recycled materials eventually or quickly, break down when exposed to ozone. They get brittle and I'd be concerned about longevity and sucking parts into the engine.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think ABS was gasoline-resistant, thanks. Is that something Lowes would have? I don't go in the plumbing section much.

Also... I never realized what was wrong with your avatar until now. I always thought something was strange about it, and it's the angle of the ground! Wrangler demo course?

·
Super Moderator
31,985 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, fantastic. Can I use PVC cement to attatch the PVC to an HDPE baseplate? I've heard (anecdotally) that PVC cement will work on any hard plastic.

·
Premium Member
20,077 Posts
PVC and ABS do not work on each other glue-wise (don't ask how I know). With that, if you have a flange that the PVC will attach to, they should have these two inch wide two worm screw hose clamp with rubber removable clamps. They are thin stainless with two hose clams on the outside of a rubber hose and a lip in the center on the inside so you have about an inch to clamp each of the two materials together (so you don't have to glue or screw two components together as a joint), might have them as small as you need them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts