Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this the first car I have ever had that has the new car smell and a large dent.... :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An older Gent was coming out of a Parking Lot and claims he could not see me, I was just bout stopped however I had no where to go. I honked but he still kept coming...

It will be very hard for the Body shop to match the paint....

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Dealer body shop?

They'll probably paint the whole fender even if they fix it.

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
That rubbed the new off in short order. :( Gads, I love that color. Still wished I could have gotten mine in that shade.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Paint the fender and blend the bumper hood and door. That's what happened when my Sebring need fixing. You can't tell the whole front of the car had been repainted...

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
It is always disheartening when this happens, but a competent body/paint man can make it look like it never happened.
It doesn't seem like you were at fault in any way. Make sure that any law or insurance reports state this.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
If you are eligible in your state, make sure you get paid for the diminished value of the car due to the difference in value between a car with no accident and one with an accident in its history.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I nearly got the same thing a couple of weeks ago, Jaime. I live across the street from the local grammar/middle school and as my wife and I were headed out to go visit my mother, some idiot blond woman with two kids in the back seat of a Toyota Land Cruiser came flying out of the parking lot without even looking or coming to a stop. I slammed on the brakes and gave her a dirty look and my wife stuck up a finger at her. She threw up both hands and mouthed the word, "Sorry", My wife said she'd have beaten her severely if she'd run into our new car! :runaway: Sorry to see yours get dinged, but at least nobody got hurt, and that's most important.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Jaime said:
An older Gent was coming out of a Parking Lot and claims he could not see me, I was just bout stopped however I had no where to go. I honked but he still kept coming...

It will be very hard for the Body shop to match the paint....
Sorry to see this happen.

What makes you think a competent body shop can't match the paint? A good competent body shop should be able to match the color. And yes, they'll probably repaint the entire fender.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What makes you think a competent body shop can't match the paint? A good competent body shop should be able to match the color. And yes, they'll probably repaint the entire fender.
Just in my experience, none of my cars with metallic paint have ever looked good after a re-paint, they just can never match it, but I dont have much of a choice, so I will have to just live with it.

I ahve triad so many different shops...it is just depressing

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the temp fix so that I can open the door and not scrub the tire.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Reminds me of the time a coworker on the first day of training for the Cenus Bureau (that was an interesting stint fyi) came in and asked a woman if she drove the Hyundai Elentra outside. She said yes, and he said, "uhh I think I hit it." She laughed cause she thought the guy was joking. Nope, he backed right into her car to a T and smashed in the driver door and the area around it. That car was only 3 months old and was almost written off.

She wanted to beat the life out of this guy, as he was 19 and clearly a hazardous driver.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Shortly after I bought my 72 Dart in 1982, I repainted it myself. Did a great job, except that they gave me the wrong dilution at the paint shop and the finish coat was a little thick.

Just 3 weeks later I was on duty at the fire station when one of the cops came in and asked who owned the Dart. We went outside and found that my right front fender was dented, and the new paint accordioned there. I was backed into the space, and she tried backing in next to me. She was SO far off that (visualize this) her RIGHT rear fender hit my right front fender, while trying to park to my right.

Unfortunately, my initial reaction was to pound my fist on the hood in frustration and anger, at which point the young girl burst into tears. She was also deaf, and I felt like a heel right away.

I fixed it myself, but it always showed.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I had an 82 Dodge Ram 150 van for my first job as a contractor. The day after I picked it up, an old lady backed out of a parking space two spaces away from me at a Sonic and crumpled the right rear quarter panel. She didn't have insurance, but offered to pay for it if I'd get estimates and make payments to me. She kept her word. I got it fixed and let her pay me $25 a week until she got it paid off.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question: Was there any other color of Red offered on the 200 othere then the Chery?? If I can find a recycled part that is factory painted, there is a good chance it will match better.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
A good body shop will match the paint so you'd never know. They will also use a new OEM fender. Let insurance fight that battle.

The body shop I use will not let the car out without matching. We had a delay of 2 days once because the owner wasn't satisfied with the match and had it redone.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
When I was hit in my Stratus, the ghetto body shop I used even matched the paint... Four years later it was just as sunbaked and flaky as the rest of the car had been!

*grin*

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bob Lincoln said:
A good body shop will match the paint so you'd never know. They will also use a new OEM fender. Let insurance fight that battle.

The body shop I use will not let the car out without matching. We had a delay of 2 days once because the owner wasn't satisfied with the match and had it redone.
I hope so, I have only had one repair that was done right, for 2008 Sebring in Black Pearl and in the right light you could still tell it had been repainted. the shope did great and many could not tell that is was ever repainted.

That shop was the best by far, but I am open to trying another shop.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
If you were in Tennessee, I could hook you up with a dude that's got to be the best painter I've ever seen or done business with. Absolutely phenomenal. BUT, you're not, so Brandon can't help you.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts