Allpar Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I had the plastic front panel replaced on my Brilliant Black Stratus. The shop painted the part a couple weeks before I dropped off the car. I can't tell the difference at all. I have seen even silver metallic come out perfect. If the shop has any experience at all, the match should be perfect.
Paint technology is so different now that it is rare to see a mis match, not like the old days when repairs always stood out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
my wife cut a corner too sharp and hit and 80's Dakota on his rt front fender..Did almost nothing to the Dakota but crumpoled the left fender and bumper of out three month old 200..It has the black paint with the green and red flecks in it...Body shop matched it perfectly..would seem harder to match than the red...

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just got the written quote to fix the car, $2309.65!! Wow! That includes painting of the hood, fender, bumper and door's in order to blend the paint, shop said that Red metallic is so hard to match. Kind of bummed...not looking forward to half my car being repainted.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just tried another Repair Shop, same thing they want to paint half the car in order to match the paint, not what I was wanting to hear. But I guess I am just going suck up and deal with my car looking like that. :thumbsdown:

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
Find a shop that can match. These people are not skilled if they cannot match without repainting the whole car.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Many years ago I was in a good body shop taking the body order on a large hit. I saw one of their customers going to the manager/owner to complain that the fender was not replaced on a car they were picking up. His reason was that you couldn't tell it was replaced by looking at it no paint drips or wavy finish in the light. His work was that good. The manager/owner asked the customer which imperfection do you want me to add so you can tell it was replaced. The customer then got it, that quality work is possible.

Sorry to hear about your new car.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am going to try another shop tomorrow, so hopefully they have a better answer.

·
Registered
844 Posts
IMO it's reasonable that they may have to blend a color coat onto the adjacent panels - hood, driver's door, front fascia in addition to completely painting a new fender. They shouldn't have to paint the entire adjacent panel, but they should do a complete clearcoat of any adjacent panels that need to be blended or otherwise there may be a noticeable transition in the wrong light. (I had a deer get the side of my Dakota some years ago, one late-October morning on my way to work on the last day of a ridiculous commute I had at the time; it evidently wasn't repaired with complete clearcoat of the affected panels, because in the wrong light I can see where the small areas that had to be repaired were located.)

FWIW my local Chrysler dealer's body shop has done excellent work on my Challenger.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok, finally found a shop that seems to be the right place. They come highly recommended car should go in next week. I felt good when talking with the adjuster, somthing I had not with the others.

Keeping fingers crossed that it will turn out great!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Car is in the shop and should be done in a few days!

I got a nice Nissan Altima as rental, not bad car and the best cvt I have ever driven.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I miss my car!! Just want it back!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just got my car back and it looks beautiful! Paint is perfect match, other the some swirl marks from buffing, it looks new!

So glad I shopped around for a good shop, three diffrent places before I found this one. Now I have a shop for the future.

I will post pics later

Reactions: JA Cumbo

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Fixed the ugly holes from the license plate.

Here it looks like there is a slight difference in paint color, but I can only see it in the pic, not in person.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It's too bad that body shops (and too many dealers) will let a car out with buffer trails. You can remove them with some fine polish, either by hand or with a random orbital polisher. Don't wax the repaired area for at least 90 days to let the paint fully cure.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well I was happy till I realized that most of the car has a clear overspray! Not happy! Car goes back on Monday....gh!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I got ran into almost a year ago (just a few days away actually) and didn't get my rear bumper repaired until March or April of this year. Went to a Nissan dealer who had a body and paint shop, and my Sebring coupe is the White Satin pearl, and that isn't terribly easy color to match. Sadly, the front and rear bumper covers were already resprayed and you can tell, cause it's darker than the rest of the car, but they matched it perfect to that color (cause that's all my insurance would let them paint, is the small area that it was damaged).

21 - 36 of 36 Posts