Allpar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

Cars.com has released its American-Made Index for 2022, showing which vehicles call on the U.S. most for factory jobs, manufacturing plants and parts sourcing. Tesla has once again earned the title of “most American made” with its Model Y, and that's no shock considering the brand's massive growth and doubling down on domestic production. What is surprising, though, is that no full-size pickup made the top 10.

This year, only one vehicle with a truck bed is mentioned so high up. It's built in Lincoln, Alabama, and it's not a Chevy, Ford, or Ram. It's the Honda Ridgeline, and it sits at number eight.

This means U.S.-based truck makers like Ram, Ford and General Motors are currently being overshadowed by their international competitors. Cars.com completes its analysis based on five primary factors: location of final assembly, percentage of U.S. and Canadian parts, country of origin for available engines, country of origin for available transmissions, and U.S. manufacturing employees relative to the automaker’s footprint. Apparently, the Ridgeline meets that criteria better than anything that claims to come from Detroit.

Full article here:

Not a Single Full-Size Truck Made the Top 10 Most American-Made Car List (msn.com)

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Top 20
RankModelAssembly location for cars sold in the U.S.(Rank in the 2021 AMI)
1Tesla Model YFremont, Calif., or Austin, Texas3ResearchShop
2Tesla Model 3Fremont, Calif.1ResearchShop
3Lincoln CorsairLouisville, Ky.64ResearchShop
4Honda PassportLincoln, Ala.9ResearchShop
5Tesla Model XFremont, Calif.UnrankedResearchShop
6Tesla Model SFremont, Calif.UnrankedResearchShop
7Jeep CherokeeBelvidere, Ill.4ResearchShop
8Honda RidgelineLincoln, Ala.6ResearchShop
9Honda OdysseyLincoln, Ala.7ResearchShop
10Honda PilotLincoln, Ala.8ResearchShop
11Chevrolet CorvetteBowling Green, Ky.5ResearchShop
12GMC CanyonWentzville, Mo.15ResearchShop
13Chevrolet ColoradoWentzville, Mo.14ResearchShop
14Acura MDXEast Liberty or Marysville, OhioUnrankedResearchShop
15Acura RDXEast Liberty or Marysville, Ohio12ResearchShop
16Acura TLXMarysville, Ohio13ResearchShop
17Ford RangerWayne, Mich.28ResearchShop
18Ford BroncoWayne, Mich.UnrankedResearchShop
19Dodge DurangoDetroit36ResearchShop
20Ford Expedition, Expedition MaxLouisville, Ky.11ResearchShop

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bronco is more American than Wrangler. I can see Ford's marketing salivating......

·
Registered
107 Posts
That list would be majorly changed if it was North America in total. But that isn't the purpose of the survey. Three decades of NAFTA will do that. It was the original plan. Get in your time machine and give Ronald Reagan the bad news.

I wonder if the public could have afforded a car in the past if it was made only in the United States of America. No imports 100%. American aluminum, steel, paint, fluids, tires.
There are lots of -what if's- but the restrictions of the analysis is what it is. Pretty boxed in. A make work survey?

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wrangler is global (Bronco is not) and not losing sales to Bronco so I doubt its a solid marketing point

Ford Bronco Attracting New Customers To Off-Road Market, Not Stealing Jeep Wrangler Buyers
I have read these stories and they are not exactly honest. You cannot come to a conclusion of Bronco vs Wrangler given the current market situation and the Bronco production limitation.

Let's see how this all works out in 2 more years when (hopefully) the supply chain situation is more resolved and there is not a shortage of vehicles to be purchased and Bronco production is at full volume.

Broncos are selling for $20K+ over sticker. Yes, Wrangler 392s are doing the same. But that is primarily because of the shortages.

The market today is basically if you have it in stock, it sells. Regardless. Bronco reservation holders have bought Wranglers while they wait.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have read these stories and they are not exactly honest. You cannot come to a conclusion of Bronco vs Wrangler given the current market situation and the Bronco production limitation.

Let's see how this all works out in 2 more years when (hopefully) the supply chain situation is more resolved and there is not a shortage of vehicles to be purchased and Bronco production is at full volume.

Broncos are selling for $20K+ over sticker. Yes, Wrangler 392s are doing the same. But that is primarily because of the shortages.

The market today is basically if you have it in stock, it sells. Regardless. Bronco reservation holders have bought Wranglers while they wait.
Given every automaker in the industry is dealing with the same economic issues, I would have to agree it might be a little premature BUT Bronco reservation holders moving to Wrangler doesn't sound like they're there for anything other than the novelty of a new product..

Could Ford argue theyre more American made? Sure, but maybe thats why theyre having issues with their production in the first place, chip shortage aside.. Where theres a will theres a way and the whole launch of their product has been riddled with issues

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Given every automaker in the industry is dealing with the same economic issues, I would have to agree it might be a little premature BUT Bronco reservation holders moving to Wrangler doesn't sound like they're there for anything other than the novelty of a new product..

Could Ford argue theyre more American made? Sure, but maybe thats why theyre having issues with their production in the first place, chip shortage aside.. Where theres a will theres a way and the whole launch of their product has been riddled with issues
Ford has screwed the pooch on product launches with many glitches and problems.

But they also have multiple hit products coming out at the same time (Bronco, Bronco Sport, Maverick, Lightning and Mustang Mach-E) which is not easy for any automaker, especially during a time of parts shortages.

Stellantis does not have any hit products that just came out and has the luxury of focusing production on higher margin vehicles (Ram, Wrangler, Grand Cherokee) while really slowing production of low margin vehicles (Pacifica, Cherokee, 300, Compass)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I find it interesting that NHTSA's website doesn't have numbers for any GM products and only a few FCA/Stellantis products for 2022 but somehow all these articles are popping up. It's also funny, as the Car and Driver link above notes, that nobody gets dinged for Canadian parts but does for Mexican parts. That's ultimately where the variance is coming from for a lot of the US brands - using Mexican parts, sometimes even if they have US final assembly, transmission, and engine components.

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I find it interesting that NHTSA's website doesn't have numbers for any GM products and only a few FCA/Stellantis products for 2022 but somehow all these articles are popping up. It's also funny, as the Car and Driver link above notes, that nobody gets dinged for Canadian parts but does for Mexican parts. That's ultimately where the variance is coming from for a lot of the US brands - using Mexican parts, sometimes even if they have US final assembly, transmission, and engine components.
You are right, a true "Made in USA" and "Made in North America" should be the only two categories. This "Made in America" by omitting Mexico is not intellectually honest since we are one trading zone.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Mexico is in North America. How can can you make a Made in North America list and then leave out a third of the countries?

Reactions: tlc

·
Jeepaholic
6,733 Posts
Mexico is in North America. How can can you make a Made in North America list and then leave out a third of the countries?
It’s in North America, but it’s south of ‘Merica. :LOL: (Ok, I’ll see myself out)

·
Super Moderator
40,239 Posts
I was taught there were three Americas in school, North, South, and Central - but that Central was really part of North.
I take issue with people saying "American" when they really mean USA. It's a common issue both within the US and worldwide.

Reactions: tlc

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I was taught there were three Americas in school, North, South, and Central - but that Central was really part of North.
When I grew up I learned Central America was everything between Belize and Panama.
Map Font Slope Rectangle

I take issue with people saying "American" when they really mean USA. It's a common issue both within the US and worldwide.
Agreed. American made could mean Brazil technically. US made and American made are two totally different things in my mind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts