Allpar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect I could have a gas leak somewhere as when the engine is running I can smell it. Where is the first place to look? Thanks. I don't want my car catching on fire!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bob. I did not see any fuel leaking anywhere nor have I smelled any when the engine is off. However, when it was running today, I went to the right side of the car and took a sniff under the right wheel well (front). I got a strong odor of fuel. Plus it is eating more gas, so thus, fuel leak.

Is it dangerous to drive it three miles to the repair shop? I may pay $50.00 and have the shop pick up my car as I am scared of a fire. It is the only vehicle I have right now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car has electronic fuel injection. Is a TBI a turbo? Sorry I can't remember. It just has a standard 2.5 liter 4 cylinder.

Any how, it was taken on a flat bed to the shop. The mechanics went over my car, and found it was just a vent that was backing up gasoline fumes. No fuel leaks at all!! Yeah! Luckily we know the owner, he did not charge us a cent because it was just an easy fix. I was like, wow, thanks!!!!!! I couldn't believe it! (I think they really like my car as they always remember my car and say "the daytona, right?" lol!)

Since it has been back, NO gasoline smell! :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob Lincoln said:
Very good. Was it the rollover vent at the top of the gas tank?

TBI stands for Throttle Body Injection - typically one or sometimes two injectors total, rather than one per cylinder. The injector is mounted in the throttle body instead of at a fuel rail at the manifold, like the turbos and more modern cars have.
Not sure which vent, I did not ask.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A strong odor fuel/oil smell is back. I am guessing a vent is clogged? Ugh. I hate this. I am not driving it that much anyways due to it's winter and I let it sit in the garage. I drive the old 98 Tahoe I now own in the winter (lost my 05 Tahoe thanks to the economy)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When the guys checked it last summer, it was good. Can it spring a leak that fast?? Will get it checked again soon. I will be driving it today, hopefully it won't stink too bad...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.