Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm changing the oil in my gear box for my '98 Dakota NV3500. The dealer doesn't have the Mopar part# 4761526 on hand and I'm told it's quite expensive. Has anyone used the Royal Purple Synchromax for this application and does it work? I've heard it is compatible but that is just from the internet, it's supposed to be for manual transmissions that are spec'd for automatic tranny fluid. The dealer is not much help. Does any of this make sense? Can anyone make sense of this? thanks, Steve.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
I can only certify that the Mopar NV3500 fluid is the correct oil. I can't vouch for any substitutes. The dealer should keep this as a stocked item and if they are temporarily out, should be able to order it on an overnight or stock order.
The transmission doesn't hold that much fluid, so cost shouldn't really be a concern. It is a synthetic.
If you do use an aftermarket fluid, be sure that it meets Chrysler's MS (material standard) certification number on the label.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys. I went to the AMSOIL website and it looks like they have a synthetic synchromesh TF that is in spec for this transmission. NAPA was no help, they looked it up and told me to buy 75W-90 gear oil... Oh brother. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know about the gearbox oil change. I went with the AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh, the gearbox took 2 quarts. I had it changed in just a few minutes, the drain and fill plugs are 17mm hex. I got a black plastic pump from Advance Auto for about five bucks for the refill. It fit the quart bottles perfectly. Trans shifts much more smoothly now, I'm glad I changed the oil. There were some fine shavings on the magnet and a slight sheen of fine metal in the old oil, it may have been the original oil. Anyways, thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts