Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is tere a difference between the 4x4 and 2wd mainshafts? This is my first experience with this tranny. I piked up a 4x4 trans for free and want to put it in my 68 D300 service truck. Thanks

Lee

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Although they may all be the same throughout the years, do you know what year the transmission is? Knowing will help me look it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told that it was a an 89, the truck has been crushed. The trans was behind a V6 in a half ton 4x4. The truck has been crushed. Thanks

Lee

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
The NV4500 didn't start build until 1992. Is there a round New Venture code plate attached? Is it a cast iron case?
The 2WD and 4WD output spline counts were different. The standard duty unit bell-housing would fit 3.9L, 5.2L and 5.9L until 2005. It would have been real overkill in a V6 half-ton truck. Maybe an NV3500 if it has an aluminum case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear_4500_transmission

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
One way to tell is the NV3500 has an integrated bell housing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trans is a cast iron case, it is out of a 1/2 ton 4x4 with full time 4wd. It may have been newer than I was told but no way of knowing because it was crushed. Thank you for the info. I guess I will look for somebody to swap a 4x4 trans for a 2wd.

Lee

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
OLD HEMI said:
The trans is a cast iron case, it is out of a 1/2 ton 4x4 with full time 4wd. It may have been newer than I was told but no way of knowing because it was crushed. Thank you for the info. I guess I will look for somebody to swap a 4x4 trans for a 2wd.

Lee
Likely older than you were told. The cast iron transmissions were the NP435, looking like this:

and NP4530, looking like this:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one that I have is a 5 speed, it has the screw on shift lever. It is longer than my 435 that I have. I have looked it up online and looks like the NV4500.

Lee

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
A NV4500 should have the NVG aluminum tag on it, or a stamp with the model number.
Often it is overlooked because it is covered with grease or dirt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts