Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have decided to buy a used 04-07 Limited or GT PT. It depends on what I find but probably it will be a Limited Turbo. Here is my question....does the low pressure Turbo require Premium fuel like the GT does? I would love any advice you guys might have regarding my purchase. I am looking for something with under 65K miles, Turbo, leather and sunroof. I would prefer the 04-05 because of the grill and under seat storage and seat mounted armrests, but I will get what I can find in the best condition. From what I have seen I can easily get what I want for around 10K or less. Also is the timing belt change interval 90K? I had a 98 Stratus ES with the Ultradrive....does the PT use the same trans and would you guys reccomend a fluid and filter change when I get the car? Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice and help I get!

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
Welcome to the forum for starters. PT Cruisers are great little cars, much better than expected in a lot of ways, lots of them still out there, but you already know that. As far as the octane goes, you can run 87 octane in her without a problem, the higher octane is recommended, but savings of a dollar or two per tank is savings nonetheless. Interval for belt changing is around 100K, my 02 belt broke at 94K, others are lucky enough to go 110K without an issue, but at least the valves don't get bent when the belt breaks unless you are at above 3000rpm.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I have driven the 180hp unit and it felt just fine. I am not sure that we really need the GT and its 230hp....do they ride worse with the 17 in wheels?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got the 04 GT with the high output and find that although it cost more for the premium I get a lot better mileage than with regular. So pay with premium or go back to the pump more often with regular. But make sure that if you get the chrome wheels they are in good shape. Mine have really gone down hill and I always clean the brake dust off but nothing seems to stop the flaking and pitting. I was also warned to look out for hte inside corroding.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Running 91 octane in my 84 Daytona Turbo Z consistently gives me 2 mpg more than 87 octane. I run 91 in summer and 89 in cool weather.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
91 in my 3.0 Sebring changes to high octane timing and it runs better and I get ~3mpg better at times. Although I did a tune up and ran seafoam through at the one time I ran 91...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts