Allpar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my car about 14 years ago, it's a '66 Charger (XP29F61239226), 361/auto with nothing special on the fender tag... it was originally a beige car w/ a tan interior, and Charger Group 354 (driver side remote mirror, day/night rear view mirror, power steering, and trunk/parking brake light), other than that, nothing special.... but it's always had a 500 flag emblem on the sail panel on both sides, it looks like it's supposed to be there, but my search-fu has always turned up nada..... any idea's??

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I have to say, it is a first for me, too. I wonder if looking into the Daytona 500 specifics indicates anything with the Charger, being the first year of the non-A body Chargers, that is, has anything to do with the race, or whether it was a simple dealer add-on. It is interesting to say the least.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
I agree, it was likely either a dealer or previous owner add on.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Heh. There were Charger 500 packages in either '68 or '69, it's possible that someone liked the idea and just bought the badge as mentioned.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
The Charger 500 was a limited volume model factory deal to run in NASCAR. It was not an emblem only option.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was thinking someone just slapped it on there too, but even then I'd like to know what the emblem came off of :(

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
The Charger 500 had the number 500 as it's emblem and the rear window was flushed like the Datona was for better aeridynamics. This has to be anaftermarket item.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I was thinking something about the Daytona 500 race, not the Charger 500. There may be some racing thing associated with the emblem, but most likely dealer add-on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm well aware of what a Charger 500 is and what it meant, even so, this flag emblem isn't on a real Charger 500 either

·
Registered
256 Posts
Maybe the car was some kind of track courtesy or dealer promotional vehicle for a race? Any idea where it was originally sold?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got the original certicard, but it's almost unreadable, I'll see what I can make out on it

I haven't ever found a broadcast sheet in this car, but according to some sources a popular place for these cars is in the back shell of the front drivers seat, and I haven't looked there

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Did you pull the bottom of the back seat and look between the springs and foam? That was a very common place for many years.

·
MoPaR oR No CaR
1,068 Posts
Not to take away from the original topic but your statement that this is a 361 car piqued my interest. Is the 361 original? I was always under the impression that the 361 ended production for passenger cars in 1964.

Edit: I did some quick research and see that the 361 did live on as an option through 1966. IMO, that is a very cool feature since the 361 was being phased out in deference to the 383. I would think you have a pretty rare combination.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
The 361 is an awesome engine, revs even better than a 383 and takes performance changes well, and the only problem for parts is the pistons themselves, but it shares the bore with the 400 Chevy, just a matter of getting the pin height correct to make them workbut still a very strong engine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 350, 361, 383, 400 are all basically the same block. I think the earlier ones might have been the thick wall castings, but I might be wrong on that. I love the 383 and always have. They are all good strong motors, and a 400 stroker is a wild ride. Cool stuff. Didn't they turn a 361 into a Silver Commando?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts