Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I reset my odometer this afternoon, thereby, appearently damaging it's gears. I also stumbled upon an 88 LeBaron in the yard that has a nice looking Navigator system installed where the 87 Shelby Z has a sunglasses area (top of the center counsole, right above the boost gage and warning lamp Daytona silluete.

1) can I use the Navigator from the LeBaron?
2) if I can will it work without replacing the gears in my odometer?
3) how much should I expect to pay for a used Navigator?

I saw a thread a while back that explained hwo to install the Navigator system on a car which didn't have one stock. If anyone feels the motivation to post that link, well, that would be neat to; that is depending on the answers to 1, 2 +3.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Last year I installed a navigator from about a 1988 in my 84 Turbo Z, which only had the chronometer/stopwatch. So I didn't have the connector in my harness. (I'm told that gen 2 Daytonas DO have the connector already there.) But I had saved the connector from my body control module from my '92, and by cutting it down to the right number of contacts, made a connector. I ran the wires back to my logic module, which has the signal wires for the fuel gauge, speed sensor and the fuel injector firing signal. So I made it fully operational. The only snag was that the 84 has a different pinout from 1988, and I had to search on the internet for the correct pinout.

So, yes, it will work even with your odometer gears stripped. The signal comes from your logic module.

If the Lebaron navigator looks the same, it's probably the same one. I paid $25 plus postage, I think. I've seen them listed for $40 or more. So somewhere in there is a reasonable price.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm guessing this is going into your 87 Shelby Daytona? You may have the plug already there. I know 88-89 Daytonas, the plug is there. You may have to hunt for it since it may be taped up in the harness. It will be 2 plugs. If not cut the conectors off the one in the Lebaron, and a good wiring diagram should do the trick. You will have to remove the cubby that is attached to the dash trim piece. It can be done, I have done it, but be very carefull and not break the trim piece. Also if you are getting the 12 button Navigator, there is a good chance that none of the buttons are going to work, so then it will be useless. There is a thread out there to fix them but you have to replace all the buttons. I have 5 Navigators they all power up, the buttons are bad in all of them. If you are lucky you could find a 2 button Traveler out of a 2 door Lebaron 87-89. Less prone to have any button problems.

·
King
3,488 Posts
For your 87 the plugs are there.
just reach in and find them.

You will need the dash trim with the cut out in stead of the felt pocket (Eyeglass hole)
you might be able to just cut it.
OR ........
Just get the dash trim from Lebaron when you get the navigator and it will screw right in.

I have the LeBaron wood grain like (PLASTIC) dash in my Daytona. I like how it looks

This works on all second gen Daytonas
and yes it runs regaurdless if you speedometer works or not.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob Lincoln, 1991spirites and TurboPacifica;

Thanks everyone, for all the input. Bucks are very tight right now so $50 to repair the odometer is ruff, when I may be able to utilize the Navigator as a temporary substitue.

I appologise for the vaugness regarding which car I intended to attempt to use the navigator in, and yes the intention is to use it in our 87 Shelby Z.

I will grab the psuedo-woodgrain bezel with the Traveler. It is the 2 button type; I didn't know there were different types. I hope the system works.

Thanks again, I am getting excited since I need to swing by that yard in the am for this weekends unfinished work.
PS, that LeBaron is one pretty convertable; I sure don't enjoy canabalizing it's parts.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TurboPacifica; did your car come with the digital dash or did you install it. I have only seen one in an 86 turbo Laser and another in an 87 turbo LeBaron. I think it is so KIT I would have to add the red "cylon" leds to the front fasia. I know that isn't a Chrysler move but having just watched a couple episodes of Knight Rider, that black bump hood on the Shelby Z gives me a little KIT sensation every now and again, without the digital cluster.

·
King
3,488 Posts
Yes my cars both came with the digital dash.
It was a option on the Daytona Pacifica 87&88 only
and the LeBaron
But Ive seen people put it in thier cars.
I really like it. It makes my car stand out.
The pictures are of my old car now my interior is tan (toupe)

pSun link some pictures I would love to see your car.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still do not know how to post photos on this sight. I have quite a few maintenance related shots I desire to share.

The Shelby is stock everything bar the unequal length passenger side axle, the in corporation of an Amsoil by-pass oil filteration systom and the PH8A style oil filter. There is one other thing; I believe the original owner installed the louvers but I think they may be from an Omni Charger/Charger, as they aren't the style I remember and they do not cover the entire rear window. He may have figured that @ 70 mph+ it woudn't be as noticable, I would like to incorporate the correct rear louvers and source out the side louvers I remember seeing (despite the Mustang II overtones).

The Sundnace is another story alltogether, it does not completely ressemble a Sundance. I am uncertain which vehicle will be more interesting to view. I have documented it's transformation and have detailed guidance on how it's current appearance came to be.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I made some time to get to the yard today; I was able to get the 2 button Navigator. As it turned out this LeBaron had the digital dash, I just didn't even notice it other day, as I wasn't looking for one. So I grabbed both puedo woodgrain bezels, the instrament cluster and A/C-radio bezel and for grins the digital dash too.

Is it possible that I can plug this digital dash instrament cluster in to the 87 Shelby Z?

I was thinking that since TurboPacifica's came stock, perhaps mine uses the same wire/plugs; I figure it will be a rewire nightmare but I did have enough hope that I grabben it anhway.

I got home a bit late and am pinning over wether to go try everything right now or to wait until tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are all the buttons for, to the left of the Digital Instraments cluster? I can read tghe middle button, it looks like it read "Trip Reset"; I can't make out the top 2 or the bottom large button.

Do they work with the traveler too?

·
Registered
262 Posts
The digital dash won't plug directly into your Shelby Z. The digital dash as 2 square/rectangle plugs, where the standard cluster has round plugs. It can be done, just have to do some cutting. If I remember right the other buttons are to change the gauge you see, change from oil pressure, temp, battery voltage. The 89 Shelby Daytona and 89 Daytona ES turbo also had this digital dash opition.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a Navigator if anyone is interested in purchasing it. My car is a 1985 Turbo Z which I bought new. I have the original chrono in there and matches the interior where the navigator would look like an add on. I also do not what to go through the trouble of wiring it up special so if anyone is interested just say so.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel very fortunate today; the 2 button Traveler from the 88 LeBaron...powered right up, both buttons work and it seems as though is fully functional in the 87 Shelby Z.

I am exstatic!

I would like to know if this has both a trip meter and an odometer and if so how do I RESET the trip meter?

·
King
3,488 Posts
yes the button changes from volt to temp to oil.
if there is trouble that option will light up and stay on.

No you cant just drop in digital dash you have to cut some wires.

If that Lebaron in the yard has the wood grain around the trans shifter I would love to buy that.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TurboPacifia;

I thped up the PM like 3 times, my phone is bugging lately.

Happy to assist, please PM me. I expect they will make you buy the entire center counsol (from the shifter to the back of the compartment with the lid. Also, it is an automatic.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks george w.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts