Allpar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

Later this year, Tesla will open its proprietary fast-charging network - the Supercharging network - to other electric vehicles.

The intention was officially announced by the company's CEO Elon Musk in one of the latest tweets: "we’re making our Supercharger network open to other EVs later this year."

Full article here:

Official: Tesla Superchargers Will Be Open To Other EVs This Year (insideevs.com)

Reactions: valiant67

·
Jeepaholic
6,014 Posts
There is a new WaWa at the base of the Platt Bridge in Philly with what looks like a row of about 10 or so Tesla chargers in the back. It would be a useful location for me as it’s not far from my hospital. Those chargers would otherwise be useless to me as it’s unlikely I will ever purchase a Tesla.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,734 Posts
Being Elon Musk, inventor of the “freely shared patents [as long as you agree to let us have your ENTIRE patent portfolio for free],”I naturally look for the catch.

And here are the catches, from the same article... one of which being that there is no timetable, so they could open one station in Podunk and leave the rest "owners only" for 30 years and still not have broken their word. But most people only read headlines so, like the “free patents,” this will be seen as “Musk only cares about humanity!”—except for the people who die for the Cause, in his factories with the worst safety record of any automaker in America, and in his cars, after watching his "here's my blindfolded wife at the steering wheel" videos...

Two questions: what is the fee structure for non-owners, and how much in royalties will he charge for use of his proprietary connector?

We guess that Tesla will now switch to a new connector that will be compatible with the CCS Combo 1 (SAE J1772 Combo) because otherwise, other EVs (with CCS1 inlets) would not be able to use Tesla chargers. Superchargers in Europe were already retrofitted with CCS Combo 2-compatible plugs.

The opposite way - to open the network and continue to use a proprietary connector - would require other EV manufacturers to leave the CCS standard, and they are not willing to do it.

Our dream ultimate solution would be to switch everything to the CCS Combo 2 globally (Tesla could theoretically consider it), but unfortunately the general industry failed to find a common solution in the early days.

According to Elon Musk, the opening of the network will be gradual - starting with some undisclosed initial markets and then expand globally.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
IMO this is a great move by Tesla. Now you've just opened the entire EV market to pay you. This allows for additional capital through your charging network to earn funds.

There is a new WaWa at the base of the Platt Bridge in Philly with what looks like a row of about 10 or so Tesla chargers in the back. It would be a useful location for me as it’s not far from my hospital. Those chargers would otherwise be useless to me as it’s unlikely I will ever purchase a Tesla.
I was about to say this. Many Wawa's in FL have them. This effectively allows Wawa to run the whole gambit of refueling. They have diesel, e15, pure gasoline (the lawnmower/boat kind), and now electric. All the Wawas in FL are pretty modern with quick-serve restaurants to them. You can easily spend in excess of 30 mins in them. Effectively making Wawa the electric equivalent of a traditional gas station.

Being Elon Musk, inventor of the “freely shared patents [as long as you agree to let us have your ENTIRE patent portfolio for free],”I naturally look for the catch.

And here are the catches, from the same article... one of which being that there is no timetable, so they could open one station in Podunk and leave the rest "owners only" for 30 years and still not have broken their word. But most people only read headlines so, like the “free patents,” this will be seen as “Musk only cares about humanity!”—except for the people who die for the Cause, in his factories with the worst safety record of any automaker in America, and in his cars, after watching his "here's my blindfolded wife at the steering wheel" videos...

Two questions: what is the fee structure for non-owners, and how much in royalties will he charge for use of his proprietary connector?

We guess that Tesla will now switch to a new connector that will be compatible with the CCS Combo 1 (SAE J1772 Combo) because otherwise, other EVs (with CCS1 inlets) would not be able to use Tesla chargers. Superchargers in Europe were already retrofitted with CCS Combo 2-compatible plugs.

The opposite way - to open the network and continue to use a proprietary connector - would require other EV manufacturers to leave the CCS standard, and they are not willing to do it.

Our dream ultimate solution would be to switch everything to the CCS Combo 2 globally (Tesla could theoretically consider it), but unfortunately the general industry failed to find a common solution in the early days.

According to Elon Musk, the opening of the network will be gradual - starting with some undisclosed initial markets and then expand globally.
"We guess that Tesla will now switch to a new connector that will be compatible with the CCS Combo 1 (SAE J1772 Combo) because otherwise, other EVs (with CCS1 inlets) would not be able to use Tesla chargers. Superchargers in Europe were already retrofitted with CCS Combo 2-compatible plugs."
I think this is the most likely scenario.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I wonder if Tesla switching connectors will qualify the charging stations for subsidies? Many states give subsidies for charging stations that offer the standardized connectors. Since Tesla has run out of credits for vehicles, they may be trying to get them for the charging stations and then monetize that revenue.

I can absolutely see different pricing for Tesla owners versus others.

·
Jeepaholic
6,014 Posts

Well, in my defense, I didn’t just read the headline, I read the blurb that Erik posted above. :LOL:

But, yes, with Musk there’s always a catch. Self important blowhard, he is. Altruistic, he’s not.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,734 Posts
But, yes, with Musk there’s always a catch. Self important blowhard, he is. Altruistic, he’s not.
Thank you ;)

It would be a smart business decision to open them to everyone for a higher fee. As I recall, they aren't free to owners any more, but I might be wrong. Also, they should not be free. Free invites abuse.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts

Local Grocery Chain that also has Superchargers. I stand by my point that this is an excellent way to go.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

It's kind of like Jeff Bezos's comments immediately after his recent space launch, he might have been trying to be funny, but the comments didn't go over so well with a lot of people :oops:

Jeff Bezos thanks Amazon workers and customers after space flight: ‘You paid for all of this’
"Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s executive chairman and the world’s richest person, successfully completed his 10-minute flight to the cusp of outer space and back to the West Texas desert this morning. Upon his return to earth, Bezos, decked in a blue space suit and a cowboy hat, thanked Amazon employees and customers, noting that they “paid for all of this,” referring to the billions in personal Amazon stock he sold to fund his endeavor.

Critics of Bezos immediately jumped on the comments. “Yes, Amazon workers did pay for this - with lower wages, union busting, a frenzied and inhumane workplace, and delivery drivers not having health insurance during a pandemic,” Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said of Bezos' comments on Twitter. “And Amazon customers are paying for it with Amazon abusing their market power to hurt small business.”

The median Amazon worker made $29,007 in 2020, with a CEO-to-worker pay ratio of 58:1. Amazon delivery drivers have complained of grueling conditions that led them to ignore stop signs and skip meals to get packages delivered. Factory workers, who had a pre-pandemic turnover rate of 150% per year, have said they were forced to use bottles instead of taking bathroom breaks. They complained of unsafe and injury-inducing speed requirements, and said constant monitoring led to an environment filled with fear and suspicion. Labor leaders have accused the company of engaged in repeated illegal conduct that prevented a “free and fair” union election at one of its Alabama warehouses this Spring.

Bezos, who is worth about $204 billion, sold about $6.7 billion worth of his Amazon shares in early May, after the company reported that it tripled profit in its first quarter. Last February he sold nearly $4.1 billion of shares and more than $3 billion worth last November. Each year $1 billion of those sales, says Bezos, will bankroll Blue Origin, the space company he founded in 2000, the one that launched him and his crew into space Tuesday."

I guess those that have all the $ are entitled to have a little fun with it, but there are probably more practical uses that it could be doing. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts