Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's news report:

(Reuters) - Italian carmaker Fiat (FIA.MI) and its U.S. unit Chrysler are set to sign a new agreement with Guangzhou Automobile Group Co (601238.SS) to produce the Jeep vehicle for the Chinese market, Il Corriere della Sera said on Sunday.

In an unsourced article, the Corriere said the head of Fiat and Chrysler Sergio Marchionne could announce the agreement at the Detroit auto show, which kicks off on Monday.

Under the agreement, off-road vehicles under the Jeep brand will be produced at GAC's Canton factory, the paper said.

Fiat, which declined to comment the report, already has a joint venture with GAC.

The agreement does not envisage moving any jobs from Chrysler's main Jeep factory in Toledo, Ohio, the Corriere said.

In October, Marchionne said Jeep production would not be moved from the United States to China.

Fiat is betting on strong demand for its Jeep not just in the United States but also in foreign markets such as Russia, India and China.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Makes since

With the popularity with Jeep in China and the high import tariff, Chrysler can split the difference and put the profit in there wallet. Expands capacity overall.

·
The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"
2,644 Posts
Now we know what Jeep is announcing at NAIAS!!

:)

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,735 Posts
The smart move we all knew was coming. There will be no significant number of Chicom Jeeps in the continental USA.

·
Registered
699 Posts
John Rogers said:
The smart move we all knew was coming. There will be no significant number of Chicom Jeeps in the continental USA.
ANY chinese made Jeeps imported to the USA costs US badly needed jobs.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
LXbuilder said:
Just replacing something that was stolen by Dumbler Benz I believe. :angry2:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_Benz
I believe you are correct like it or not China is an important market for automakers now and in light of the tarrifs and a huge Chinese demand it makes sense to build them there for that market. Plus it will take some capacity constraints off of the NA plants which would hopefully allow them to maybe add more variants for our side o the world. If it starts to cost American jobs (highly doubtful) then and only then am I against it!

PS don't tell that toupee wearing trump idiot this or we may be forced to quote a RG comment about being full of something :lol:

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,933 Posts
John Rogers said:
I wouldn't expect any of the Chinese-made Jeeps to ever see US soil, they are being made for the Chinese market and other international markets.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Just my two cents;
NONE of us, and that includes Marchionne, know what the future holds, therefore none of us know what Jeep will or won't do in China, none of us know what will or won't be imported, exported, or distributed for international consumption.
Therefore all of the pronouncement's, supposed certainties, speculation and guesses are just that and this thread is worthless comment until 2017.
We simply don't know the effects or outcome and neither does Marchionne or Jeep.

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,735 Posts
FreeLantz said:
I wouldn't expect any of the Chinese-made Jeeps to ever see US soil, they are being made for the Chinese market and other international markets.
Neither would I really except the odd one or two imported here for whatever reason, by somebody with more cash than brains that wants one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts