Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[SIZE=14pt]I was an engineer at Chrysler from 1967 – 1971. I designed an OHC slant six while I was at Chrysler and I built it as a 170 cu in version in 1971 - 1972. I installed the engine in a Dart. I wanted to use the engine as an example of OHC conversion so I could convince someone to help me create an OHC conversion for the 392 HEMI. I was unable to find interest for this project so I sold the car in 1973.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]In 1992, a friend of mine saw my engine at the MSU engine laboratory. I purchased the engine from MSU and it has been stored in garages ever since. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]I originally was going to rebuild the engine and install it in a Dart. However, I am now thinking that I really don’t need another car. So, I would like to sell the engine. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Do you have any idea of who might be interested in purchasing this engine?[/SIZE]

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
With all the slant 6 enthusiasts on here I'm surprised no one has responded to your post. Although I wouldn't be able to purchase this engine I sure would like to see some pictures of it!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
It would be cool to see some pic's of the motor! It would help generat more interest.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Contact the board owner, Dave Zatz, he would probably welcome an article on the engine and your experiences.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I think an article would be a great idea!
Preserve a little bit of history and inform, all at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
Both Pontiac and Jeep had OHC in-line sixes in the mid-60's that were interesting, but not particularly successful.
The machining must have been too expensive. We had a '64 Wagoneer with the Tornado OHC.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Yeah, and several comparisons have been done to indicate that other than the lack of pushrods, there really isn't any advantage to OHC engines other than the DOHC so you can time each of the cams individually. That, and it makes the blocks taller in most cases, given the extra height of the cam in the head vice just above the crankshaft. There was a Hotrod magazine article (I believe), where a guy went to the trouble of building a set of pedistals for a SBC and installed two stock cams (for honest comparison), and you could literally take the two dyno runs and lay them on top of one another, they were so equal.

Still, it would be cool to see the technology involved in doing this so many years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts