Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lady friend of mine pulled up in my driveway today with a new to her 2012 journey sxt awd (35,000 miles). I know nothing about these vehicles. Since I will be the one working on it (oil changes,etc.),I need all the info you guys can give me. How hard is it to do oil changes? does it need to be jacked up? she prefers synthetic oil,will this have any effect on anything except her pocketbook? I see the oil filter should be easy to change,is there any brand that is better quality then the others? Any other problems to look out for? thanks for any ideas!!

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The oil should meet MS-6395 (MS=Chrysler's material standard) and probably is a 5W-20 viscosity.
Synthetic oils (Mobil1) may not yet meet this standard, but certification is pending. A premium motor oil is best.
Use Mopar oil filters if she has an extended drivetrain warranty or service contract in case anything ever happened that could be called into question. Reset the oil life indicator (oilminder) on the dash before returning the car.
Keep all parts receipts with mileage and date performed as a maintenance record in case they ever needed to be referenced.
Check brakes for wear and pulsation if they haven't been done yet.
There is a cabin air filter for the HVAC that is easily forgotten. Depending on the surroundings (trees), these can get quiet dirty. Always lay down newspapers before pulling it out of the dash (if it is this style) because you never know what will fall out with it.
Borrow the owners manual to familiarize yourself with the vehicle and its recommended service requirements.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
Go to www.dodge.com/owners to retrieve a pdf version of the owner's manual. You do not need to sign in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies!! Hard to believe synthetic isn't approved. Does any chain parts store sell mopar filters? I live 30 miles from the dodge dealer,hard to justify driving that far just for an oil filter.

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
If this is the Pentastar 3.6L, it uses a cartridge type filter and not the conventional spin-on. Chrysler's part # is 68079744AB.
It may be messier to change than a spin-on, keep the drain pan handy and wipe up spills. The car will have to be raised safely. Don't forget to reset the oilminder light before returning the car to her.
Check some local auto parts stores websites or call for availability. Sold in 3-packs.
Synthetic oil may be approved in the future. It is still under review. It has advantages, but Marketing won't let you know the disadvantages and you won't much hear about them. Granted Synth does many things better, but it also has it's drawbacks. I have found increased oil consumption issues with them and that is a major complaint headache for the automakers while the car is still under warranty. That may be the reason?
Products containing teflon like Slick50 were not appoved either. Don't mess with them. Use no additives. Just use a good brand-name premium quality 5W-20 (?) motor oil that meets MS-6395 and you should be fine for many, many miles. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mobil_1_and_Chrysler_MS-6395.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/2011-DODGE-JOURNEY-FILTER-MOPAR/dp/B0055HYQ30

http://www.sears.com/mopar-jeep-wrangler-2012-3.6l-3-oil-filter/p-SPM7304827508?prdNo=1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes,it is the 3.6 v6(I think that is the only v6 available?) I will look at walmart the nex ttime I'm there for filters,they do have some models of mopar brand there. guess I will just go with a good qualty 5w-20 dyno oil. When I change the filter,is there any way to avoid oil running down the outside of the engine and making a mess all over it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK,now I'm confused. I downloaded the owner's manual for the vehicle and it says use 5w30 and synthetic is ok as long as it meets the ms 6395 spec. I will be in her town wedsnesday. I wil see if the owner's manual in the Journey says the same thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: went looking at oil brands this morning and pennzoil platinum says it exceeds ms 6395,so might go with that.I have been using it in my daily driver ford focus for the last 50,000 miles without any issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts