Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 l added since last oil change 4000 km ago. 40500 km on the odo. Think they must have put 5w20 in.

Thoughts?

3.5 litre AWD 2010Journey R/T

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
Did you check/replace the PCV valve?

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
The dealer will have to monitor and document oil consumption in order for them or Chrysler to do anything about it. This means that only they can do the oil change and dipstick checks for now and keep the record on an open repair (work) order.
The engine must be bone-dry underneath. The inside air cleaner near the breather intake must be dry. Blow-by entering the air cleaner will leave an oil stain and maybe a wet oil spot on the paper filter.
PCV valve is a common culprit and easy enough to change (use a Chrysler/OEM valve), but rings and valve seals can also cause this. Oil consumption increases with thinner (lower) viscosity oils. Sometimes oil consumption decreases with more 'break-in' mileage. I have found 'glazed' cylinder walls that don't create an oil seal and the glaze can be broken with a cylinder hone. There needs to be a 'scratchy' surface to seat the rings and proceed with normal engine break-in.
Chrysler says that some oil consumption is normal and in itself, some consumption is necessary and is not a bad thing. We went that anything more than 1 quart every 2000 miles (3200 km) was beginning to get excessive.
Get the documentation started at the dealer while you are still under warranty, otherwise the dealer and Chrysler can do nothing for you.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update... so I have not been using the Journey very much lately, but at 43500 km, and 1/2 liter per 1000 km, I have taken it in for an early oil change as to start the logbook.

ImperialCown - re: 1 quart per 2000 miles... is that documented somewhere? The service writer could not find the reference to "normal oil consumption" when I was there. He did mention that is was different before and after 50 000 (miles/km?)

I did notice that the tech used bottled oil this time... not the bulk stuff, so my original 5w20 suspicion is still there.

I was considering trading it and making it somebody else's problem, but the family budget doesn't allow that at the moment.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last week I took it in for the first 1000 km check since the log started and it was down a half quart. They did not top it up so I will am curious to see what they do after another 1000 km at this pretty constant rate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts