Allpar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Caliber with the 2.4L It has an oil leak that is coming from the accessory belt side. It looks like it could be from the head gasket area but cannot see the origin as there are too many parts in the way. It is dry around the vavle cover so I think it is either a cam seal or in the head gasket area. I have read on some forums that the 2.4L need the head bolts retorques, but really question this. Anyone with experience with this oil leak?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The cams are chain drive, so there is no external cam seal. The area will have to be degreased and rinsed and the leak source pin-pointed. You may have to remove the lower shield and an accessory or bracket after running the engine awhile. Avoid guessing here.
Head bolt retorque may or may not work. It does in about half of the cases. It may also reduce the leak amount considerably.
By having it sit still in one spot while running, the leak should drip fairly much straight down from the source.
An UV dye can be added to the motor oil and a blacklight used to see the leak path more clearly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts