Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a little concerned to find the oil slightly low when we got the car home from Indiana - about 550 miles. SInce it was unknown oil, and not clearly new oil, I changed it and the filter.

In the garage and very level, after a couple of minutes running and several hours sitting, the dipstick shows a little less than a pint low. I went ahead and marked it for reference. Is that definitely or probably the quantity taken by the lines to the turbo, or do I just have dipstick error? If due to the turbo, should I add enough to fill it to the original full mark or run it as is?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
From the manual:

ENGINE OIL LEVEL CHECK
The best time to check engine oil level is after the vehicle has sat overnight, or if the engine has been running, allow the engine to be shut off for at least 5 minutes before checking oil level.
Checking the oil while the vehicle is on level ground will improve the accuracy of the oil level reading. Remove dipstick and observe oil level. Add oil only when the level is at or below the MIN mark.
CAUTION: Do not operate engine if the oil level is above the MAX mark on the dipstick. Excessive oil volume can cause oil aeration which can lead to engine failure due to loss of oil pressure or increase in oil temperature.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've studied the manual, and know, and did all of this. I waited until it sat overnight, in the garage, to verify that the oil was below the full mark before making a cut across the dipstick for reference. I'm no mechanic, but not a novice, though I'm starting to feel like it with this car.

I appreciate the input.

Michael

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
I don't understand your concern. Why are you putting a new mark on the dipstick?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob,

It shows a little less than half a quart low, with a fresh change and about five minutes run time. If I just changed it and forgot it, it wouldn't matter, but I try to keep an eye on things. Memory is not what it once was, so I want to know where full is on the dipstick, and be able to track any oil use. Also, being new to the turbo, I wondered if the plumbing for it takes the volume that seems to be missing, and if so, should I add to full on the dipstick. The FSM might tell me more, but I don't have it yet.

A little obsessive, but I'm proud of the car and would like to keep it going until a grandchild wants it in ten years or so.

Thanks.

Michael

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
The oil dipstick provides a 'safe' range with an added margin of safety slightly above and below the min/max marks. Don't read into it too much.
You are OK anywhere within the range. There will be variations in the oil level according to temperature, drainback, etc. The oil filter, turbo lines and oil cooler will hold oil after shut down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imperial,

I'll put the hood down and look for something else to worry about. I'm becoming my mother!

Thanks.

Michael

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Michael Mann said:
Bob,

It shows a little less than half a quart low, with a fresh change and about five minutes run time.
Immediately after an oil change, the new filter will suck up some of the oil you added. I run a full-quart filter, so I use 5 quarts when I change. However, even though I pre-fill the filter and let it soak in before installation, after I've added all of the oil to get to the full mark, it will still absorb a little more and make the dipstick reading drop slightly in the first day or two. This is normal, and that's probably what you're seeing. If you want, top it off a day or two later and then you're fine.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
If you are doing an oil consumption test, just try to read the dipstick under the same conditions each time every 500 miles or so. Just try to match conditions for each check.
If oil consumption is less than a quart every 2000 miles, that is within the threshold and you should be fine.
Rule out any kind of fluid drips or wet areas underneath the car to concentrate on any oil burning. As an old mechanic told me once "If you're using oil, you can at least tell that it's getting to the top of the engine'.
Blue smoke out the tailpipe has been pretty much done away with since the catalytic converter is on the job.
The PT turbos are nice cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts