Allpar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new full oil, and the light has come on solid. What are the possibilities or tests I should make? Is it ok to drive it?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,399 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Is the engine noisy like tapping or clicking? I would not run it or drive it until you can perform an oil pressure test with a mechanical gauge.
62621_zzz_500.jpg
Unscrew the oil pressure sender and install the gauge for the test.
Is this a GM 3.1L?
It is possibly a defective sender, but you want to make sure first.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Double check the oil filter itself, especially if the light didn't come on until after the oil change.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
The 2.8 and 3.4, IIRC.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Did you do the oil change yourself? Since I haven't worked on one of those in a while, is it possible the sender wire is caught somewhere and grounded? Other than the intake gasket leaks on the earlier ones, I don't recall many problems with these. My son has a 1994 Buick Regal with one and it has well over 200K on it.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The 3.4 in the 90's to early 2000's were notorious for gasket leaks you can't see letting anti-freeze into the oil and totally ruining the engine.

·
Super Moderator
37,254 Posts
I wonder if the original poster is ever coming back?

·
Super Moderator
21,399 Posts
Maybe very busy with the holiday and family? The northeast is also very cold with blizzards and travelers advisories this long weekend. I somehow, really want to get outside and rinse the road salt off the cars. :eek:

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,117 Posts
Could be the wrong grade oil, too thin, maybe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts