Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone:

Hello. Recently, I did something I rarely do...take my Neon in to get it's oil changed. I prefer to do this myself, but I got a coupon for a free oil change from a new auto repair store. During the oil change the mechanic working on my car showed me that the threads for the oil pan bolt are almost non-existent in the oil pan.

So now for my questions, I have a Chiltons book on this car so I'm considering replacing the oil pan, but I'm also considering having a machine shop/auto mechanic create new threads in the pan. A larger bolt could then be put in the pan. I like the idea of doing this, but where would I get this done? How much should this reasonably cost? Wouldn't the metal shavings from this operation damage the engine or clog the oil filter? Should I just replace the pan?

Answers to the above questions are appreciated.

Ray

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Question: Since you normally change your own oil, had you noticed a problem the last time you changed it? Or did this new shop damage it? If so, they should pay for the repair.

There are oversize bolt kits that are made to solve this problem. I've never installed one myself. I would think that that is much better and cheaper than replacing the entire oil pan.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd noticed the problem. I didn't know they sell oversize bolt kits, and I'm glad you agree this is better than replacing the entire pan. Next time I'm in my favorite auto parts store I'll ask about an oversize bolt kit.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Most of the chain autoparts stores sell oversized, self-tapping replacements.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
With your oversized drain bolt, you need to be sure that it goes in straight. Most of these bolts have thread cutting slots at the end, so if it goes in crooked, you will create more damage.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
You get permission to sit on that bike, Mike? LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts