Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
04 QC Dakota 4x4 3.7l 5spd manual
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I noticed that my oil pressure gauge was reading low pressure. After replacing the sensor I'm getting the same reading.
Help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
33,636 Posts
Is that at idle with a hot engine? And what viscosity of oil are you running? What part of the world are you in (what daytime temp)?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At idle, but no fluctuation with rpm's. It's like that hot or cold, Missouri and 70-80 deg's
Night pic is hot motor, day pic is cold

·
Super Moderator
40,486 Posts
It’s probably time to get the oil pressure tested. I’m assuming you’re not hearing any noises from the low pressure.
They make a test gauge that screws in place of the factory sending unit. If it’s really low, it’s either a bad oil pump or worn engine (excessive bearing clearances) causing the low reading most likely.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,231 Posts
Measure the actual oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. Any engine noise? Any stored fault codes?
Rectangle Organism Font Parallel Circle

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
33,636 Posts
Is the sensor 1-wire or 2-wire? If it's 1-wire, it has no dedicated ground wire, it relies on the threads in the block to make the ground. And if you use teflon tape, that insulates the ground and gives an incorrect reading.
Some sensors have a thread cut such that it's tapered and makes a tight oil seal without teflon tape, so that the ground connection there is tight.

Reactions: chuzz

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
What's the ODO reading?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the sensor 1-wire or 2-wire? If it's 1-wire, it has no dedicated ground wire, it relies on the threads in the block to make the ground. And if you use teflon tape, that insulates the ground and gives an incorrect reading.
Some sensors have a thread cut such that it's tapered and makes a tight oil seal without teflon tape, so that the ground connection there is tight.
it appears as 1 wire and I did use teflon tape

·
Super Moderator
33,636 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,231 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts