Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
04 QC Dakota 4x4 3.7l 5spd manual
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I noticed that my oil pressure gauge was reading low pressure. After replacing the sensor I'm getting the same reading.
Help.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At idle, but no fluctuation with rpm's. It's like that hot or cold, Missouri and 70-80 deg's
Night pic is hot motor, day pic is cold

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the sensor 1-wire or 2-wire? If it's 1-wire, it has no dedicated ground wire, it relies on the threads in the block to make the ground. And if you use teflon tape, that insulates the ground and gives an incorrect reading.
Some sensors have a thread cut such that it's tapered and makes a tight oil seal without teflon tape, so that the ground connection there is tight.
it appears as 1 wire and I did use teflon tape

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update: I had my truck towed Complete Automotive. They checked the pressure with a manual gauge, replaced the 5w30 with 10w40 replaced the oil pressure sensor, charged me $428 and told me I was gtg. But the gauge in my dash still reads low pressure and their response to that was, it's going to you'll just have to get used to it showing a different reading than before.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Did they give you a hot idle pressure value? If the pressure is above 4 psi at hot idle, the instrument cluster is probably the only thing left to replace. If the cluster is a CCN module, it may not be plug n' play. A used or an exchange cluster would have to be configured to your VIN in order to play nice with the other modules.
The gauges are designed to have a wide middle range, so they really aren't accurate, just more assuring to the operator.
They said I now have 70psi at 3k
How can I tell which one I have?
The entire dash cluster?
Or just the oil gauge?
Can I just replace the stepper motor?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Honestly, if it is the gauge/gauge cluster failing, rather than the cost and hassle of replacing, for accuracy and peace of mid, I would find a way to tee in an adapter where the oil pressure sensor is located and hookup a manual oil pressure gauge.
Can I just run a mechanical and poopies can the sensor?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I suspect the gauge driver on the cluster circuit board is failing. There should be 4 pointer increments; low, normal low, normal high & high.
It does that.
I am truly thankful and genuinely appreciative for all the help and guidance you've given me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I was thinking last night that since the cluster gauge driver can position the gauge pointer at the correct points during the self-test, that the cluster itself may be OK?
You're correct.
The only change that has been made by me is the cluster self test, but apparently that's all that was needed because now the oil pressure gauge works the same way it did before.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I just wish I had have known about going to a thicker weight oil as a cure for the low pressure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts