Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,636 Posts
Yes, because normal oil pressure will be between about 8 psi to 14 psi at idle, to about 55-70 psi at highway speed, depending on engine temp and RPMs.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
It doesent seem to be exeptionally low for a hot engine.
- what viscosity does the oil have? (10w-30 or...)

·
Registered
04 QC Dakota 4x4 3.7l 5spd manual
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update: I had my truck towed Complete Automotive. They checked the pressure with a manual gauge, replaced the 5w30 with 10w40 replaced the oil pressure sensor, charged me $428 and told me I was gtg. But the gauge in my dash still reads low pressure and their response to that was, it's going to you'll just have to get used to it showing a different reading than before.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,229 Posts
Did they give you a hot idle pressure value? If the pressure is above 4 psi at hot idle, the instrument cluster is probably the only thing left to replace. If the cluster is a CCN module, it may not be plug n' play. A used or an exchange cluster would have to be configured to your VIN in order to play nice with the other modules.
The gauges are designed to have a wide middle range, so they really aren't accurate, just more assuring to the operator.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Did they give you a hot idle pressure value? If the pressure is above 4 psi at hot idle, the instrument cluster is probably the only thing left to replace. If the cluster is a CCN module, it may not be plug n' play. A used or an exchange cluster would have to be configured to your VIN in order to play nice with the other modules.
The gauges are designed to have a wide middle range, so they really aren't accurate, just more assuring to the operator.
They said I now have 70psi at 3k
How can I tell which one I have?
The entire dash cluster?
Or just the oil gauge?
Can I just replace the stepper motor?

·
Super Moderator
24,229 Posts
70# @ 3K RPM is excellent oil pressure. The cluster is serviced as an assembly, not individual gauges. A 2004 (AN-body) is old enough not to be a CCN.
Does the oil pressure gauge do a full sweep with the cluster self-test? Hold the trip odo button in & roll the key to 'run', then release the button.
The scan tool (DRBIII or equivalent) can step the gauges through their calibration points, but I think the self-test also does this.
Rectangle Parallel Font Pattern Art

Rectangle Font Number Pattern Document

Font Parallel Screenshot Document Rectangle

Font Rectangle Parallel Drawing Diagram

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

The odometer mileage is stored in the cluster itself. The mileage displayed would stay in the cluster. If you wanted to adjust this mileage, it would need to be done at an authorized factory electronic repair depot.
Depending on mileage fraud laws in your area, you may need a shop repair order written & the shop's handling of this repair for use of a legal mileage adjustment document.
Font Screenshot Number

·
Super Moderator
24,229 Posts
I suspect the gauge driver on the cluster circuit board is failing. There should be 4 pointer increments; low, normal low, normal high & high.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Honestly, if it is the gauge/gauge cluster failing, rather than the cost and hassle of replacing, for accuracy and peace of mid, I would find a way to tee in an adapter where the oil pressure sensor is located and hookup a manual oil pressure gauge.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Honestly, if it is the gauge/gauge cluster failing, rather than the cost and hassle of replacing, for accuracy and peace of mid, I would find a way to tee in an adapter where the oil pressure sensor is located and hookup a manual oil pressure gauge.
Can I just run a mechanical and poopies can the sensor?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I suspect the gauge driver on the cluster circuit board is failing. There should be 4 pointer increments; low, normal low, normal high & high.
It does that.
I am truly thankful and genuinely appreciative for all the help and guidance you've given me.

·
Super Moderator
24,229 Posts
I was thinking last night that since the cluster gauge driver can position the gauge pointer at the correct points during the self-test, that the cluster itself may be OK?

I don't want to start over-thinking this, but another possibility is in the PCM. The oil pressure information goes directly to the PCM and from there the 'interpreted' oil pressure value (now digital information) is sent over the PCI bus to the cluster.

It is broadcast across the PCI bus to all or any modules that need to know, isn't a direct wire from the sensor to the gauge like in the old days.

Rectangle Parallel Slope Font Symmetry

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I was thinking last night that since the cluster gauge driver can position the gauge pointer at the correct points during the self-test, that the cluster itself may be OK?
You're correct.
The only change that has been made by me is the cluster self test, but apparently that's all that was needed because now the oil pressure gauge works the same way it did before.

·
Super Moderator
24,229 Posts
I think that the self-test is also performing a gauge calibration?
This would explain why it working normally now.

Heavier motor oil viscosities will raise oil pressure, but increase internal viscous drag and the penetrating characteristics of lighter motor oils. It may be OK in higher temperatures, but you want to return to lighter viscosities in cold weather.

Reactions: d711van and chuzz
21 - 40 of 41 Posts