Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am somewhat confused about the oil specified for use in my 2006 Town & Country Limited.
I am of the thought that 5W-20 oil specified isn't heavy enough.
I just got the van this past Friday, and noticed that on the engine, it specifies 5W-20 oil.
I would have thought it better to use 5W-30 or better yet 10W-30.
I love the 3.8 engine ( never had one of those before ) The van has less than 25,000 miles on it.
Also while on the subject, how "often" do any of you change your oil and filter? And what brand of oil do you use?
and for those who have older high mileage vehicles, do you use the high mileage oils or the "regular" oil,
and lastly, do you use synthetic or "regular " oil
Thanks in advance
TommyDodge

·
KOG
6,997 Posts
Full synthetic only. On the older ones I have used 5W-30 Mobil1. 5W-40 Rotella Synthetic, even 0W-30 Mobil1. The 09 requires 10W-30, gets only Mobil 1 in spite of the mandated 6000 mile changes to meet warranty requirement. The older ones get changed every April, sometimes as much as 15,000 miles. Which is probably why they seem to have short engines lives, probably only 300K of so. I get away with that because of mild climate and no short trips. Average speeds are often over 60mph even on "short" trips here and they rarely go less than 5 miles on any trip. If you have cold climate or short trips change more often than I do.

·
Super Moderator
21,361 Posts
5W-20 is recommended and safe if the oil filler cap says so.
Oil change intervals depend on climate and driving habits. At under 25K, this van doesn't see much driving. Every 8 months or 4000 miles should be good. .

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
I am somewhat confused about the oil specified for use in my 2006 Town & Country Limited.
I am of the thought that 5W-20 oil specified isn't heavy enough.
I just got the van this past Friday, and noticed that on the engine, it specifies 5W-20 oil.
I would have thought it better to use 5W-30 or better yet 10W-30.
I love the 3.8 engine ( never had one of those before ) The van has less than 25,000 miles on it.
Also while on the subject, how "often" do any of you change your oil and filter? And what brand of oil do you use?
and for those who have older high mileage vehicles, do you use the high mileage oils or the "regular" oil,
and lastly, do you use synthetic or "regular " oil
Thanks in advance
TommyDodge
Don't worry about how "thin" the oil is. For my Hemi-powered Ram (2006) it requires 5w-20 as well due to the MDS. I've run nothing but 5w-20 and no problems over 156K miles. I usually go 5K-6K miles between oil changes, but I drive a lot of highway miles - not much stop and go. I haven't gone to the "High Mileage" oils yet, though it's probably a good idea. Been using regular oil the entire time - no synthetics.* As far as brand - whatever is on sale - Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, Havoline, or Mopar (dealer). My Journey uses 10w-30 (3.5L V6) - usually serviced at the dealer.

*I've refrained from synthetics on the Hemi. Some Hemi's have a noticable "tick" and from what've read those who have gone to synthetics have stated the "tick" got worse (more noticable). My Hemi has never had the "tick" and it's been running fine with regular oil so I'm sticking with it.

·
Super Moderator
36,922 Posts
If you are thinking in terms of heavier oils, you are thinking of older engines with larger clearances. New engines run quite fine on 5w20 or whatever is specified. My 2005 300C used the 5w20 oil as well. Never a noticeable consumption of oil between changes, though it was just a baby at 115k miles when I traded it.
Honestly, I've never put high mileage oils in anything so I have no idea what they would help. Even at 200k plus miles, regular oil has always functioned fine.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Even at 200k plus miles, regular oil has always functioned fine.
I have to agree. I had three 2.5L engines that logged over 800K miles on regular oil - never used high mileage oils or synthetics. One engine had over 302,000 on it and the other two logged 273,000 and 240,000. The engines held up but the car(s) fell apart around it.....lol!

Keep in mind,, today's "regular" oils are far better than even 5-10 years ago.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason I asked about oil weights, is that I got a file folder of receipts that
came with the van. I see the guy that bought the van new always used 10W-30
oil, brand unspecified because it was changed at the local dealerships (the original
selling dealership sold off the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep franchise that they owned so
they could replace it with Kia) and the original owner continued to do business at
the new place.However I don't figure on going to either place, having done business
with both and liking neither.
The oil was last changed in February, but has only travelled about 500 miles since
then. The original owner died in May and the van was tied up until I got it last Friday
The reason I asked about High Mileage oil was because of my 1983 Dodge Ram is
both using and losing oil.
I knew there had been lots of changes with oil in the past 10 years.but I can still hear
my dad telling me about using the "right oil" which is still still in my mind after 45 years!
With all that has gone on in my life in the last 10 years, I am kind of behind the times
with what's the "right stuff" to use
Thanks for the help
TommyDodge

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
U can use any well known xW-20 or 30 oil in the van.
Your Ram would love a xW-40 HDEO. (Heavy Duty Engine Oil,big rig diesel oil)
like Rotella, Delo, Delvac..etc

·
Chyrsler Historical Buff!!
1,892 Posts
Best to stay with what the factory recommends. The manufacturer performed many extensive tests on your engine before releasing it for sale. There is plenty of good reasons to stay within manufacturers recommendations. I am not disagreeing with the other posters in any way either. Certainly their own personal experiences count in their recommendations. It is only that if you are not too familiar with oils, or their particular unique properties, best to stay "within the box," so to speak. As well, please, for the sake of your engine, never use those so called "mouse milk" oil from a cheapie seller. Use only good oil that meets the manufacturers specifications. No substitute for good oil. For myself, I met an Amsoil representative many years ago, and always used their full synthenic in my vehicles. But, that is only me, and no, I am not publicly endorsing one oil over another, just stating what I used personally. I always got a good price, and that is the main reason. Had he been handling some other oil, good oil, I most likely would have used that as well. Regular oil changes are the real key. Clean oil means a clean engine. Oil is the engine's life blood.

·
Administrator
35,245 Posts
A big +1 to Curtis.

I remember mechanics telling me to use 10W30 in my ol' 2.2. Yeah, right. It ticked and made noise when cold. I went to 5W30 and never looked back. Ditto on the 300M's 3.5 engine. I won't talk about "too thick" or "too thin" because I don't know anything about metallurgy and I don't know much about oil, but I do know that I'll believe engineers at the CTC before I believe a guy who, regardless of how skilled he is at fixing cars, is probably guided more by what he's used to than any actual knowledge.

PS> And frankly, the guys who talked about "thick oil" and such are not the ones who were skilled at fixing cars.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
The Stratus has received the recommended 5W-30 oil since I got it 13 years and 183000 miles ago. Standard oil - although I did have about 3 changes with synthetic when a friend of mine owned an oil change shop and I paid the same as a regular oil change.

Oil was usually changed every 8000 miles - sometimes not until 10000. Filter was changed every other change.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Your Ram would love a xW-40 HDEO. (Heavy Duty Engine Oil,big rig diesel oil)
like Rotella, Delo, Delvac..etc
Be careful with that general statement. The 5.7L Hemi engine (w/MDS) utilized in the 1500 series from 2006 on requires 5W-20 due to the MDS (Multiple Displacement System). The incorrect oil can result in the MDS not working correctly. I know you are referring to his older '83 but I don't want anyone gettng confused.

Dave - FWIW,I used 10w-30 on occasion in my 2.5's and they didn't seem to tick any worse. But for the most part, I used 5w-30 in those engines.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
His sign says 1983...so i still recomend hdeo.
But as you stated- its not for mds hemis.
I wonder how many of these who have gotten standard oil
at the quick lube place?
Im also curios about this talk that modern engines have smaller
clearances- do they really have smaller clearances not just smaller tolerances?

·
KOG
6,997 Posts
Yes, they have both smaller tolerances and smaller clearances. Not much smaller, but enough.

·
Super Moderator
21,361 Posts
When measuring modern Chrysler engine parts for wear, many specs are given for an ambient shop temperature of 70 deg F (21 deg C). In this way, tolerances can be more consistently done down to 1/10,000 of an inch (.003mm).
The thinner viscosity oils not only reduce the viscous drag for better fuel economy, but the world engines, Pentastar and the MDS Hemis (since '09) use VVT (variable valve timing) that requires very fast hydraulic cylinder deactivation/cam phaser reaction times that heavier oils would slow down too much. Heavier-than-recommended viscosity oils can turn on a 'ck eng' light and store a fault code.
Older, high mileage engines driven in warm weather with oil use issues may benefit with a slightly heavier grade.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Yes, they have both smaller tolerances and smaller clearances. Not much smaller, but enough.
Googled some numbers, not really sure how true they are but:
318 crank play: 0,0005-0,0015 rod play: 0,002-0,0022
5.7 3gH crank play: 0,0009-0,002 rod play: 0,009-0,002

Both bigger and smaller but pretty much in the same ball park.
I wonder if a non 0W-20 SRT hemi have diffrent clearances?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm sure you will be fine using the 5w-20, 5w-30, or even 10w-30...........I know that valvoline 5w-30 ranges from temps below 0 all the way to temps above 100 degrees.........It mainly just depends on the climate where you live........0w-20 would probably be ok in Alaska but if you live where I do in south west iowa the summers are usually around or over 100 degrees for about 2 1/2 months and the winters can get down to -15 degrees........I usually use 10w-30 in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter........never used synthetic oils; I've never believed in them.........and if you're anal like me and change your oil every 3,000 miles or less it's usless anyways.............DEFINITELY stay away from pennzoil and quaker state; I have seen many engines torn apart that had an inch of sludge in the valley pan and oil pan from using these two oils............I wont use anything but valvoline, castrol GTX, or mobil 1.

66 buick guy

·
Registered
32 Posts
..never used synthetic oils; I've never believed in them.........and if you're anal like me and change your oil every 3,000 miles or less it's usless anyways.............DEFINITELY stay away from pennzoil and quaker state; I have seen many engines torn apart that had an inch of sludge in the valley pan and oil pan from using these two oils............I wont use anything but valvoline, castrol GTX, or mobil 1.

66 buick guy
Uhhmmm, last time I checked, Mobil 1 IS a synthetic... :facepalm: Arguably the first of the major mass market synthetic brands, and far as I know that has never changed...

ex-Gooserider

·
KOG
6,997 Posts
Yep, Mobil 1 has always been a full synthetic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry guys, I meant "Mobil" NON SYNTHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!! They do make it.............but thank's for the clarification........

"I guess I just have better things to do than fix other peoples mistakes on here"..............ASE certified 15 yrs..:)

66 buick guy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts